Thread poster: Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:13
German to English
Aug 21, 2008

Dear Colleagues,
I'm editing a large (300 K segment) translation memory (text file) and need a good (freeware) text editor that runs on Windows XP. I used Notepad2 and was impressed with the interface and speed until it crashed after an hour (and several interim saves), obliterating the file. I've been using Crimson editor, but I'm not too crazy about the interface (can't use a mouse button to OK a replacement -- I don't want to keep my hand on the keyboard -- too risky), plus it takes a
... See more
Dear Colleagues,
I'm editing a large (300 K segment) translation memory (text file) and need a good (freeware) text editor that runs on Windows XP. I used Notepad2 and was impressed with the interface and speed until it crashed after an hour (and several interim saves), obliterating the file. I've been using Crimson editor, but I'm not too crazy about the interface (can't use a mouse button to OK a replacement -- I don't want to keep my hand on the keyboard -- too risky), plus it takes a long time to save the file.

All suggestions welcome.
Thanks, Kevin
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:13
German to English
+ ...
What format... Aug 21, 2008

... is this TM in?

Kevin Fulton
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
This is an exported Trados TM Aug 21, 2008

The file is a German>English TM in *.txt format. I assume it's in Unicode, if that matters, since it's been exported from Trados 8.x.

I should clarify: 300,000 segments = about 1.5 million words. This is a HUGE file.

[Edited at 2008-08-21 23:46]

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:13
English to German
+ ...
Wordpad Aug 21, 2008

Generally, I am using Editpad, but with files larger than a few MB it sometimes insertes a "/par" at the beginning of each line. In this case I use the classical Wordpad - I never had any problems with it.

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Lifehacker's best five(six) text editors Aug 21, 2008

This post and its comments may give you helpful information for choosing a good text editor.

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 00:13
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Notepad++ and/or Akelpad Aug 21, 2008

I strongly recommend Notepad++ - http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm
and another little and handy text editor is Akelpad-http://akelpad.sourceforge.net/en/index.php

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:13
German to English
+ ...
APSIC XBench? Aug 22, 2008

What about APSIC XBench? It's supposed to be a useful QA tool for maintaining TMs, though I must confess that I find some aspects of it baffling.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:13
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
jEdit, UniRed, Esperantilo Aug 22, 2008

http://www.jedit.org
http://www.esperanto.mv.ru/UniRed/UTF8/index.html
http://www.esperantilo.org/

jEdit is a swiss army knife of text editors, I positively recommend it first.

Kevin Fulton
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Checking out suggestions Aug 22, 2008

Thanks to all for the suggestions -- I've been downloading / trying out the suggested editors, but I'm still open to additional recommendations.
Kevin F

Kevin Fulton
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Using XBench Aug 22, 2008

XBench is one of the tools I'm using, but the default editor is Notepad, which cannot accommodate the size of the TM. I haven't been able to find any configuration tool in the program that will allow me to change this.

XBench can be very useful as a QA tool (until recently I used it only for accessing multiple databases in various formats. Last month a colleague spent 20 minutes showing me some of the more advanced features of the program, and now I'm a believer). It displays incon
... See more
XBench is one of the tools I'm using, but the default editor is Notepad, which cannot accommodate the size of the TM. I haven't been able to find any configuration tool in the program that will allow me to change this.

XBench can be very useful as a QA tool (until recently I used it only for accessing multiple databases in various formats. Last month a colleague spent 20 minutes showing me some of the more advanced features of the program, and now I'm a believer). It displays inconsistencies in target segments, mismatched numbers etc., helpful when checking a translation. Since it is freeware, you can't complain about the price-value relationship.

I haven't even gotten to the point of fixing inconsistencies in the TM. The end client recently provided a long list of preferred / rejected terminology, and I need to attend to that first. That's why I'm looking for an editor that provides an easy search/replace feature -- doing a universal s/r won't work as in some contexts a "rejected" term is actually appropriate.
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:13
German to Spanish
I use... Aug 23, 2008

... Ultraedit. (WINNER! - 2008 Shareware Industry Awards - People's Choice)

http://www.ultraedit.com/

Regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need robust text editor

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »