Thread poster: Anu Mukharji-Gorski
Anu Mukharji-Gorski
Anu Mukharji-Gorski  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:07
German to English
+ ...
Oct 8, 2008

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but here goes.

I wanted to bid on a job that required a sample translation into Bengali. I usually translate in word and then scan the document assuming that the customer is not going to have the font I am using. But as I just found out, it's not possible to attach a jpg during the bidding process.

How do the rest of you submit samples that are not in Roman characters?

Thanks,
Anu

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
Create a document with outlined or embedded fonts Oct 8, 2008

The easiest way to create high-quality documents with non-latin fonts is to embedd them with the text in a PDF file. The easiest way to do this is to either use Adobe Acrobat (not Adobe Reader) or the free PrimoPDF-Plug-in.

http://www.primopdf.com/

With the free PrimoPDF plug-in you simply "print" your Word document with PrimoPDF printer driver and get a .PDF file.
Another possib
... See more
The easiest way to create high-quality documents with non-latin fonts is to embedd them with the text in a PDF file. The easiest way to do this is to either use Adobe Acrobat (not Adobe Reader) or the free PrimoPDF-Plug-in.

http://www.primopdf.com/

With the free PrimoPDF plug-in you simply "print" your Word document with PrimoPDF printer driver and get a .PDF file.
Another possibility is to use a DTP software such as Adobe Illustrator/CS which allows you to outline the fonts. (Outlining converts fonts to graphics.)

Ola
Collapse

Anu Mukharji-Gorski
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To submit a sample translation on a Proz job? Oct 10, 2008

Ola

Thanks for the link, Olaf.

Is it possible to attach a pdf when submitting a quote on Proz, though. Like when you're asked for a two-line sample translation...

Regards
Anu

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Why not submit Unicode text? Oct 10, 2008

Swaiyam wrote:
I wanted to bid on a job that required a sample translation into Bengali. I usually translate in word and then scan the document assuming that the customer is not going to have the font I am using.

Can you submit a TXT file? Because then you could simply do the translation in Unicode text. Save the file as a Unicode variant that MS Word is likely to guess correctly (such as UTF16LE).

Or, well, Arial Unicode in MS Word displays all the characters on this page:
http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/bengali.html
(except for KHANDA TA). So why not just send a Word file, with a note at the top explaning that you need the correct font? You can even insert an image in MS Word with a small sample so that the PM can see if he can see the font correctly. Also give a few links where the PM can download the right font.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Can you attach anything at all? Oct 10, 2008

Swaiyam wrote:
But as I just found out, it's not possible to attach a jpg during the bidding process.

Can you attach anything at all? Or do you have to paste the text?

Anu Mukharji-Gorski
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can't attach anything Oct 10, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:

Swaiyam wrote:
But as I just found out, it's not possible to attach a jpg during the bidding process.

Can you attach anything at all? Or do you have to paste the text?

Thanks for replying Samuel. The job's over - I sent the outsourcer an attached Word file to her agency's email address. I'm still interested in finding a valid answer for next time though.

To answer your question, it's not possible to attach anything. Don't have much experience with unicode. Would take ages to type things with unicode I imagine.

Regards
Anu

l Gaston l
l Gaston l  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:07
Afrikaans to Ancient Hebrew
+ ...
Option to attach files has been added at the time to submit a quote. Apr 14, 2009

Hi everyone!,

I have added the option to attach files at the time to submit a quote in Connect RQF (Request for quotes) jobs.

The ProZ.com job systems support Unicode, so the characters will be saved appropriately. However, ProZ.com cannot guarantee that others users of the site will have the same fonts available in their browser.

Best regards,

Anu Mukharji-Gorski
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can't find it May 1, 2009

l Gaston l wrote:

I have added the option to attach files at the time to submit a quote in Connect RQF (Request for quotes) jobs.

Hallo, I can't seem to find the option. I want to upload an image of a translation -jpg. Could you help?

Regards
Anu

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using non-Roman alphabets

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »