Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 17, 2008

I'm editing a huge job with about 50 tables, quite simple/standard, with rows and columns.

The right side margin for the entire text was very close to the edge so I selected the entire text and moved the margin slightly left.

Since then however I find that some of the tables have become distorted. For example, some fall off both sides of the page, some have cells so slender that a number like 3.53 goes onto 3 lines. Or a word like "first ever" goes onto 10 lines!
... See more
I'm editing a huge job with about 50 tables, quite simple/standard, with rows and columns.

The right side margin for the entire text was very close to the edge so I selected the entire text and moved the margin slightly left.

Since then however I find that some of the tables have become distorted. For example, some fall off both sides of the page, some have cells so slender that a number like 3.53 goes onto 3 lines. Or a word like "first ever" goes onto 10 lines!

I don't suppose I can correct it all in one go, but even the ones I've tried to move the lines for are not rectifying.

When I view the formatting (paragraph marks, spaces etc) there's a tiny little grey box in each cell and I suspect that that's they key.

How can I fix this. Thanks:-)
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Two possibilities Nov 17, 2008

1) Try Table /adapt to content

if that doesn't work

2) Table/properties, then for each of "column and" "line", check that "specific width" is not ticked, and for "row", that "specific height" is not ticked.

One or other of those ought to do it. Sorry if the commands aren't exact, I'm translating them from the Italian version.

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still not working Nov 17, 2008

Thanks Helene, I've tried both options and they certainly improve things, except that no matter what I do, the columsn remain about twice as wide as the information contained there.

So a column headed by a date like 2007 is actaully about twice as wide as the 4 letters.

So I need to find someway to reduce the width of the columns and at the same time, stay on the page.

[Edited at 2008-11-17 21:23 GMT]

Rancher
Rancher  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Specimen? Nov 17, 2008

Could you provide exmplary file with the mentioned table fragment? There might be multiple reasons for distortions, starting from virus (in this case not very malignant) to arrive at empty graphical insertions.
Can you possibly compare your changes with a possibly archived file?

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yippee! Nov 17, 2008

Thanks Marie Hélène and Rancher, but I sorted it simply to putting the margins back where they were:-)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2003: problem with distorted tables

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »