Thread poster: Williamson
Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:06
Flemish to English
+ ...
Jun 25, 2003

I am looking for information and experiences from people active in the field of project management. Suppose your company contracts an offer of a million words: how do you proceed to deliver a quality product.
Is there any software on the market for linguistic project-management?

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:06
English to German
+ ...
I am developing one.. Jun 25, 2003

Williamson wrote:
..but it will take me at least one more month.

I have seen other programs for it, but I don't remember where.

[Edited at 2003-06-25 20:18]

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 13:06
English to Spanish
I only know one such programme. Jun 25, 2003

Williamson wrote:

I´ts called TOM (Tranlator´s Office Manager) and you can download an evaluation copy at www.jovo-soft.de (I personally never liked it too much). However, this is for handling several projects, not just a single big one. If that is your case, I´d probably go for MS Project if you are already familiar with it.

I don´t know why there seems to be a lack of good software for translators as far as management goes...

Good luck with your project!.

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 09:06
English to Arabic
+ ...
MS Project or some other (simpler) products for PM Jun 26, 2003

Greetings.

While MS Project 98 / 200 / XP is usefule, that product is effectively "over-built" in terms of management of translation projects...=> you must plow your way through a large number of (if not too many) features for simple transactions. Another negative is that MS Project is a "memory vampire" when it is open and operating inside a PC that has less capacity and RAM needed to run MS Windows 2000...

You might do some web searches for other usable products that
... See more
Greetings.

While MS Project 98 / 200 / XP is usefule, that product is effectively "over-built" in terms of management of translation projects...=> you must plow your way through a large number of (if not too many) features for simple transactions. Another negative is that MS Project is a "memory vampire" when it is open and operating inside a PC that has less capacity and RAM needed to run MS Windows 2000...

You might do some web searches for other usable products that are simpler, cheaper and easier to install and use in your PC. After I used MS Project 98 for several years, I eventually switched to MS Excel XP.

.able, but
Collapse

monitor
monitor  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:06
English to German
+ ...
Various tools Jun 26, 2003

Hallo
It realy depends what you want to have settled with a PM-software tool.
We have done several projects by simply using standard software, as for instance Mind Map in the first place, in order to get an idea of what comes first, which point we have to consider when deciding on a specifi task. Then there is in fact MS-Project, which needs a whole lot of training, an is very expensive.
For time schedules you would probably best use a simple excel-spread sheet.
Now it st
... See more
Hallo
It realy depends what you want to have settled with a PM-software tool.
We have done several projects by simply using standard software, as for instance Mind Map in the first place, in order to get an idea of what comes first, which point we have to consider when deciding on a specifi task. Then there is in fact MS-Project, which needs a whole lot of training, an is very expensive.
For time schedules you would probably best use a simple excel-spread sheet.
Now it still realy depends what your idea of this project management approach should be.
Whether you want to basically coordinate translators which means fixing dates, showing dependencies, or if you are looking for a fully integrated from offer till invoice-thing, which is the approach of the TOM 4-softwar.
Please let me know if I can help, we live in St. Gallen.
Kind Regards Marcel
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Information and feedback about Project Management

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »