Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:32
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Nov 27, 2008

Dear colleagues,

since a couple of days, Thunderbird (2.0.0.18, Win XP SP3) shows a strange behaviour: For no apparent reason, the "save all" option + the following two options for saving file attachments are greyed out, for no apparent reason. Hence, I have to save each attached file separately, which can be quite annoying if their number is large. In the meantime, I have found out that these options are still available via "File - attachments", but still...strange.

Do
... See more
Dear colleagues,

since a couple of days, Thunderbird (2.0.0.18, Win XP SP3) shows a strange behaviour: For no apparent reason, the "save all" option + the following two options for saving file attachments are greyed out, for no apparent reason. Hence, I have to save each attached file separately, which can be quite annoying if their number is large. In the meantime, I have found out that these options are still available via "File - attachments", but still...strange.

Does anybody have ideas about the reason for this behaviour, and what to do about it?

Kind regards,
Erik
Collapse

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Same problem here ... Nov 27, 2008

Hi Erik,

I'm having the same problem (2.0.0.18 / Win XP SP2). My "system administrator" says it looks like there's a bug in Thunderbird.

André Charbonnet (X)
André Charbonnet (X)
Greece
Local time: 19:32
Greek to French
+ ...
No bug Nov 27, 2008

If you click on a doc and highlight it, you can't save all the files at one time.
But if you don't click on a doc, but in the window with the attached docs, then it works...

Best regards
A. Charbonnet

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, it doesn't Nov 27, 2008

André Charbonnet wrote:

But if you don't click on a doc, but in the window with the attached docs, then it works...

No, it doesn't (although it used to until a couple of days ago). That's the problem.

Kind regards,
Erik

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No, it doesn't ... Nov 27, 2008

André Charbonnet wrote:

If you click on a doc and highlight it, you can't save all the files at one time.

Best regards
A. Charbonnet

Pretty sure it's a bug.

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:32
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
No probs here Nov 27, 2008

I have exactly the same setup as Little Balu and mine is working fine. I ran my AVG bug sweeper yesterday and it didn't find anything.

Clicking on File/attachments/save all/ works fine.

Chris

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 14:32
English to Spanish
I've noticed the exact same behaviour... Nov 27, 2008

My guess is that a file remains selected even if it's not shown to be so. A quick workaround is to enlarge the attachment panel (by dragging its border upwards) and then right click further away from the files. Weird, I know, but I guess the resizing operation somehow unblocks the selection (and the change doesn't hold so it's not like I have to resize it back down).

I find this additional click faster than going all the way up to the File/Attachments/Save All option.

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Doesn't work ... Nov 27, 2008

Rossana Triaca wrote:

A quick workaround is to enlarge the attachment panel (by dragging its border upwards) and then right click further away from the files.

Tried that this morning, and it doesn't work ...

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 12:32
Spanish to French
+ ...
Same here Nov 27, 2008

Another workaround I am using now is to open the message in a separate window by double-clicking it (I am really allergic to the menu option procedure, it seems). Then, the "Save all" option becomes available again.
My configuration is also XP SP3, Thunderbird build 2.0.0.18.

[Modifié le 2008-11-27 20:03 GMT]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Solution Jul 13, 2009

Hi everybody,

I have been looking for the solution of the same problem and found this old thread.

Do NOT select one of the multiple documents. Simply right click at an empty space near the attachments. You should then get the "Save All, Detach All, and Delete All" again.

Natalia

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
sometimes Jul 14, 2009

Natalie wrote:

Hi everybody,

I have been looking for the solution of the same problem and found this old thread.

Do NOT select one of the multiple documents. Simply right click at an empty space near the attachments. You should then get the "Save All, Detach All, and Delete All" again.

Natalia

Dear Natalie,

that's what André and Rossana proposed in this very thread, but as you can see from the respones in this same thread, it doesn't work for everybody.

Richard Shewmaker
Richard Shewmaker
United States
Local time: 11:32
English to French
+ ...
Happening again Dec. 2009 - your fix still good Dec 10, 2009

Nicolas Coyer wrote:

Another workaround I am using now is to open the message in a separate window by double-clicking it (I am really allergic to the menu option procedure, it seems). Then, the "Save all" option becomes available again.
My configuration is also XP SP3, Thunderbird build 2.0.0.18.

[Modifié le 2008-11-27 20:03 GMT]

I have this happening and just wanted to add a note that your method works perfectly. Thanks! (Win 7 64-bit, Tbird 2.0.0.23 (20090812))

William Pairman
William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
What I've found Apr 16, 2010

Click on the mail in question to open as a separate window

Now click in an empty space at the bottom as described above, you should see the Save All option

It doesnt work if you do it from the main Thunderbird window

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thunderbird: "save all attachments" greyed out

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »