Thread poster: GuidoB
GuidoB
GuidoB  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 31, 2009

Dear Colleagues,

I know that this is probably not the right place to find the answer to my query however, I am using the following html tag in order to display some text “onmouseover”:

example

The text is correctly shown for circa 8 seconds and I was wondering if anyone knows how to define such parameter in order that the text remains on screen until the mouse is moved away, i.e., for more than 8 seconds? For
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

I know that this is probably not the right place to find the answer to my query however, I am using the following html tag in order to display some text “onmouseover”:

example

The text is correctly shown for circa 8 seconds and I was wondering if anyone knows how to define such parameter in order that the text remains on screen until the mouse is moved away, i.e., for more than 8 seconds? For example can the text appearing “onmouseover” be shown for let’s say 60 seconds or more?

I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks again, I look forward to your suggestions.
Collapse

Boyan Brezinsky
Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 08:33
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
This is browser-specific Jan 31, 2009

The behaviour seems to be browser-specific. I use Opera and the 'tooltip' stays on until I move the cursor away. OK, maybe it would disappear after some minutes, I never waited that much, but I definitely waited more than 8 seconds.
Also, maybe some browsers 'decide' how long to keep the text on screen based on the text length. So you could try putting in some longer text.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:33
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Use Opera Feb 1, 2009

GuidoB wrote:
The text is correctly shown for circa 8 seconds and I was wondering if anyone knows how to define such parameter in order that the text remains on screen until the mouse is moved away...

In my browser, Opera, the text remains for as long as the mouse pointer is on the text. It remains there whether you hold the mouse still or move it around slightly, as long as the mouse pointer remains over the link.

So, get Opera (or some other browser that does it the same way).

GuidoB
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
onmouseover and opera Feb 1, 2009

Thank you Boyan and Samuel; according to your comments, I should not put a link that illustrates the description of some items onmouseover as I do not have Opera. I assume that if the person viewing the website does not have Opera or a compatible browser, he will not be able to see the content of my link! Is this correct?

I am designing my personal web page and I want to make sure that it looks smart but effective at the same time; in fact it is my modest point of view that it is
... See more
Thank you Boyan and Samuel; according to your comments, I should not put a link that illustrates the description of some items onmouseover as I do not have Opera. I assume that if the person viewing the website does not have Opera or a compatible browser, he will not be able to see the content of my link! Is this correct?

I am designing my personal web page and I want to make sure that it looks smart but effective at the same time; in fact it is my modest point of view that it is useless to put information that a potential browser will not able to see.

Many thanks.

Guido
Collapse

shasas
shasas  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Requires Javascript Feb 1, 2009

Hi Guido,

A simple HTML tag won't do the job. Please check out www.technorealm.co.uk/scripts/mouseovershowtext.html for a pointer in the right direction.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The point... Feb 1, 2009

GuidoB wrote:
Thank you Boyan and Samuel; according to your comments, I should not put a link that illustrates the description of some items onmouseover as I do not have Opera.

The point we were both trying to make was that the behaviour of the popup text depends on the user's browser and can't be forced by the web designer. Even if you can somehow force a user's browser to behave like another browser, he might never realise it because he never uses his browser that way.

In fact, the specification for the "title" attribute does not require a browser to use a popup text at all -- if a browser's programmer wants to have "title" attributes displayed in, say, the status bar, then that's where it will display.

I agree with Sharon, that you may want to look at JavaScript if you need fancy, non-standard popup text.

As for your personal web site, well, I rarely mouse over a link unless I intend to click it, and I generally click it so soon after mousing over it that I don't ever see the "title" text. So my suggestion is that unless you are fairly certain that your user will hover his mouse over your links, you should not use the "title" text for revealing hidden information.

GuidoB
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 2, 2009

Sarah, the link you provided works perfectly however I agree with Samuel in that there is no need to put fancy links if they are subject to browsers.

Thank you very much to all of you who replied to my question, I believe that I will use a simple and elegant frame page.

Guido

shasas
Germany
English to German
Beware of frames Feb 2, 2009

Don't use frames, they're detrimental to search engine ranking. If you want to put, e.g., your site navigation in a separate file for easy maintenance, take the [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Side_Includes]SSI route, provided your webserver supports server side includes.

shasas
Germany
English to German
Hate BB code Feb 2, 2009

Yes, I do, I hate that stupid BB code. I hate it even more when the edit link doesn't work

Anyway, here's the correct Wikipedia SSI link, no BB code and all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Side_Includes

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
A common myth Feb 2, 2009

Sharon Sarah Schmitz wrote:
Don't use frames, they're detrimental to search engine ranking.

A common myth. Frames won't affect your search engine ranking. What might affect it is if your site contains widow and orphan pages (which often occur in poorly designed framed sites, true).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to Make Text Appear "Onmouseover" and Remain Onscreen

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »