https://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/131099-getting_started_with_to3000.html

Getting started with TO3000
Thread poster: Claire Cox
Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:32
French to English
+ ...
Mar 24, 2009

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I've finally got round to downloading TO3000 just ahead of the new financial year, but can't work out how to get started. Is there a brief introduction to it anywhere without going through the help menu (which sounds very complicated!)? I remember reading somewhere that to invoice on a monthly basis you have to do something special but can't find the relevant topic. A beginner's guide would be really useful if anyone could point me in the right direct... See more
Apologies if this has been asked before, but I've finally got round to downloading TO3000 just ahead of the new financial year, but can't work out how to get started. Is there a brief introduction to it anywhere without going through the help menu (which sounds very complicated!)? I remember reading somewhere that to invoice on a monthly basis you have to do something special but can't find the relevant topic. A beginner's guide would be really useful if anyone could point me in the right direction.... At the moment I've managed to enter one client, but can't see how you put in prices/urgency surcharges, etc for that particular client, or the fact that the invoice should go monthly - not immediately after a job or after a certain total.

Many thanks!

Claire
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:32
English to French
many questions Mar 24, 2009

prices for a specific client:
navigation>client>price
Or Navigation>General prices for clients (you set them there and retrieve/adjust them for each new client)
surcharge:
Settings>Business>Discounts/markups
invoicing dates:
Navigation>Client>Main>Invoicing policy button (right main pane)

Hopefully a very sensible investment for you
Philippe

[Edited at 2009-03-24 18:07 GMT]

Silvia Barra (X)
Silvia Barra (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Browse ProZ articles Mar 25, 2009

Hi Claire,
I remember that I read one or more papers relating to TO3000 and their tips&tricks, but I failed in finding them. I suggest you to search between the paper section.
Have a nice day
Silvia

[edited for typos]

[Modificato alle 2009-03-25 08:29 GMT]

Simon Mountifield
Simon Mountifield  Identity Verified
French to English
A few pointers for getting started... Mar 25, 2009

Hello Claire,

I've been using TO3000 for just over a year and I would definitely recommend persevering, as the software has saved me considerable time. The learning curve does seem a bit steep to begin with, but once you've scratched the surface, it's pretty much plain sailing. To be honest, I only use a fraction of the features available.

You're probably using version 9, whereas I'm on version 8. Hopefully there aren't too many differences.

1) Right, so yo
... See more
Hello Claire,

I've been using TO3000 for just over a year and I would definitely recommend persevering, as the software has saved me considerable time. The learning curve does seem a bit steep to begin with, but once you've scratched the surface, it's pretty much plain sailing. To be honest, I only use a fraction of the features available.

You're probably using version 9, whereas I'm on version 8. Hopefully there aren't too many differences.

1) Right, so you've entered a customer. To enter pricing information, click on the Client icon on the left-hand side (it's a small globe). You should now have a list of tabs along the top (Main, Contacts, Marketing…). Scan along until you see Prices. To enter new pricing information, click on New. In the dialogue box that pops up, Group (short for Group of Services) refers to the type of service (translation, proofreading, etc.), Service refers to the language combination, Units is the… unit (hour, word, etc.) and then you've got Price, which is pretty self-explanatory. Now, if you want to add different groups, services, etc. to the list, you'll have to click on Settings > Business. For example, if you want to create an urgency rate, you could define a new Group called "Translation - urgent" or a new Unit called "words (urgent rate)". When you go back to the Prices tab, your new entries should be available in the drop-down lists.

2) I get a mixture of small and long translations, so to make things simple, I also invoice on a monthly basis. Click on the Project icon on the left-hand side. What I do is actually call the new project the name of the customer and the month (for example, XXXXX - March 2009). For each project, you can create lots of individual jobs. Once you've created the project, click on the Client Jobs tab. Click on New to create your new job (or translation). You'll see some of the fields that we defined earlier (Group, Service, etc.). So you'll have a monthly project (or folder) for each customer containing all the individual translations during that month.

3) Invoicing: you'll need to click on the Client icon again. Then click on the Invoices tab, followed by New. In the dialogue box displayed, select the jobs that appear in the window and then click on the Add Job to Invoice button. There's a bit more involved, but you'll have to look at the help files.

The most time-consuming part for me was creating a personalised invoice template (it's like a Word file containing lots of codes from TO3000, so that information is automatically added to the invoice).

Note that this is by no means the only way of doing things and other people may have better or more effective solutions. Check out these articles as well:

- http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/557/1/How-to-organize-a-translation-office---with-Translation-Office-3000
- http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/616/1/Applying-Translation-Office-3000-to-your-daily-professional-life

If you need more help or if anything's not clear, let us know.

Simon
Collapse

Silvia Barra (X)
Silvia Barra (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
The articles Mar 25, 2009

Claire,
these are the articles I referred to:

Silvia

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Let's start a TO2999 club! Mar 25, 2009

Claire Cox wrote:
Apologies if this has been asked before, but I've finally got round to downloading TO3000 just ahead of the new financial year, but can't work out how to get started.

I propose we start a TO2999 club. A club for people who downloaded TO3000 and found it too daunting to use even though they really, really wanted to, with special membership to people who actually bought TO3000 but never got round to implementing it for their accounting. Do we have a second?

Edited: Hmm, I can't mark my post as off-topic when I edit it after I've posted it.

[Edited at 2009-03-25 10:29 GMT]

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:32
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm sure I'm not the only one.... Mar 25, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

I propose we start a TO2999 club. A club for people who downloaded TO3000 and found it too daunting to use even though they really, really wanted to, with special membership to people who actually bought TO3000 but never got round to implementing it for their accounting. Do we have a second?

I know I can't be the only one! A friend of mine won a copy of this at the Translator as Strategic Partner conference in London in November last year and stil hasn't got round to using it.....

Many thanks for the suggestions so far, especially to Simon. At least I can get going now! And thanks for the links to the articles too - they didn't come up when I searched, possibly because I searched on TO3000 rather than the full name.

Claire

AIT-Software
AIT-Software
Local time: 10:32
English
TO3000 Quick Start Guide Apr 7, 2009

Dear Claire and other colleagues,

I hope that below you will find the answers to the most common questions of yours.

The following guidelines describe the most basic working procedures in TO3000, such as:

Setting currencies and services
Creating client database
Creating quotes and projects
Creating jobs
Managing invoices and payments

1. Setting currencies and services. Having installed TO3000 please take a moment to set
... See more
Dear Claire and other colleagues,

I hope that below you will find the answers to the most common questions of yours.

The following guidelines describe the most basic working procedures in TO3000, such as:

Setting currencies and services
Creating client database
Creating quotes and projects
Creating jobs
Managing invoices and payments

1. Setting currencies and services. Having installed TO3000 please take a moment to set the system up for your business. Newly installed TO3000 will not have all the currencies you need. However, all required currencies can be quickly added to the database. Also, you many need to adjust your base currency.

Note: "Base currency" is the currency in which you prefer to keep your accounts.

To enter new currencies:
• Click menu Settings > Business
• Click Currencies to open currencies section of Business Settings menu.
• Click New button to create a new currency record.
• Enter new currency Descriptive Name and 3-letter abbreviation in the New Currency window.

To change your base currency:

• Click Advanced Settings tab (Settings > Advanced), and select General.
• Click Base Currency button and select your base currency.

Services in TO3000 can vary from "translation from source to target language" to more unusual ones line "training" or "consulting". You can enter services of any type in TO3000 Business Settings.

To add a service (language pairs translation, proofreading, DTP and so on):
• Click menu Settings > Business.
• Click Groups of Services and add a group for new service (optional).
• Click Services section and enter new service by clicking New button.

2. Creating client database. There are two ways to fill your database of clients: entering all the clients manually or importing them from a file.

To enter new client manually:
• Click menu New... > Client.
• Follow the steps of New Client Wizard.

3. Creating quotes and projects.

Quotes and projects can be created using Quotes tab of Client window and Main tab of Project window respectively. A project can also be created using data from certain quote.

To create a quote:
• Open Clients section of Navigation panel and click Client icon.
• Click Quotes tab.
• Click New Quote button, to begin creating new quote.

To create a project:
• Open Projects section of Navigation panel and click Project icon.
• Click Main tab.
• Click New Project button, to begin creating new project.

4. Creating jobs.

In TO3000 any project consists of a number of jobs. A job represents a certain amount (characters, words, hours, custom units) of certain service (like translation from source to target language), assigned on certain date and having a deadline. The quickest way to create jobs is to do so in the Tree tab of Project window.

To create client job:
• Open Projects section of Navigation panel and click Project icon.
• Click Main tab and select a project.
• Click Tree tab.
• Right-click the Project icon at the top of the Tree view and select New Client Job in the context drop-down menu.

5. Issuing invoices.

TO3000 can be used to quickly issue, edit and delete invoices to clients and link them with payment.

To create an invoice to client:
• Open Clients section of Navigation panel and click Client icon.
• Click Main tab and select a client.
• Click Invoices tab.
• Click New button to begin creating an invoice for this client.
• Add required client jobs, select markups and discounts, and click Apply button.

I hope that I was quite clear and helpful.

If you have any other questions regarding TO3000 operation, do not hesitate to contact me at: http://www.aithelp.com/TO3000Support .

Best regards,
Anatoliy Zinevych
AIT Software Development Team

[Edited at 2009-04-08 11:56 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting started with TO3000

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »