Thread poster: XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:02
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jul 20, 2010

I have just had to drop my subscription to McAfee when I realised that all the problems I was having with my computer (including with the printer & iPod) actually went away when I uninstalled McAfee. Yesterday my computer practically ground to a halt, it took hours to boot up, crashed my Office programs, took hours to receive/send mail. I uninstalled McAfee and it is now working like a dream. I can see that there are dozens of different anti-virus options out there on the market, some free some ... See more
I have just had to drop my subscription to McAfee when I realised that all the problems I was having with my computer (including with the printer & iPod) actually went away when I uninstalled McAfee. Yesterday my computer practically ground to a halt, it took hours to boot up, crashed my Office programs, took hours to receive/send mail. I uninstalled McAfee and it is now working like a dream. I can see that there are dozens of different anti-virus options out there on the market, some free some not. Can anyone recommend a good one they are using (that is not overly resource hungry) and am I likely to have a problem with the fact that McAfee once existed on this computer and thus refuses to accept any other software (something that happened to me eons ago)? Thank you.Collapse

Luca Ruella
Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
avira Jul 20, 2010

Lisa Simpson wrote:

I have just had to drop my subscription to McAfee when I realised that all the problems I was having with my computer (including with the printer & iPod) actually went away when I uninstalled McAfee. Yesterday my computer practically ground to a halt, it took hours to boot up, crashed my Office programs, took hours to receive/send mail. I uninstalled McAfee and it is now working like a dream. I can see that there are dozens of different anti-virus options out there on the market, some free some not. Can anyone recommend a good one they are using (that is not overly resource hungry) and am I likely to have a problem with the fact that McAfee once existed on this computer and thus refuses to accept any other software (something that happened to me eons ago)? Thank you.

avira antivir.

light, free, efficient.

Dilshod Madolimov
Dilshod Madolimov  Identity Verified
Uzbekistan
Local time: 05:02
English to Uzbek
+ ...
Norton Internet Security 2010 Jul 20, 2010

I think the best antivirus now is Norton Internet Security 2010. It will not slow down your computer and your computer will always be safe.

Joachim Dietlicher MSc (BDÜ) (X)
Joachim Dietlicher MSc (BDÜ) (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:02
English to German
+ ...
What I DON'T use anymore Jul 20, 2010

Maybe it also helps to say what I don't use anymore:

1) ZoneAlarm Security Suite - far too complex and time consuming for daily use, plus slows the system down a lot (at least in 2007/2008 when I was using it)

2) Avira Antivir - the regular promotional popups can be quite annoying

What I have now been using for a couple of month is McAfee Internet Security Suite and it doesn't seem to slow my system at all. Also, configuration settings done once and that se
... See more
Maybe it also helps to say what I don't use anymore:

1) ZoneAlarm Security Suite - far too complex and time consuming for daily use, plus slows the system down a lot (at least in 2007/2008 when I was using it)

2) Avira Antivir - the regular promotional popups can be quite annoying

What I have now been using for a couple of month is McAfee Internet Security Suite and it doesn't seem to slow my system at all. Also, configuration settings done once and that seems to suffice.

HTH

Cheers
Collapse

Joachim Dietlicher MSc (BDÜ) (X)
Joachim Dietlicher MSc (BDÜ) (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Safe Jul 20, 2010

Dilshod Madolimov wrote:

and your computer will always be safe.

Sorry, but I think a computer will never be safe

[Edited at 2010-07-20 12:14 GMT]

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:02
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Total Protection or Internet Security Jul 20, 2010

What I have now been using for a couple of month is McAfee Internet Security Suite and it doesn't seem to slow my system at all. Also, configuration settings done once and that seems to suffice.

I'd got a reminder to renew my subscription and when I did I didn't realise that I'd apparently gone for a purchase rather than a renewal. I'd previously had McAfee's Total Protection and then went for Internet Security. I can't be sure that is when all the problems started but they certainly got worse until becoming chronic by yesterday. Since the uninstall my computer is as good as new. I wonder if perhaps it didn't like the switch from T.P. to I.S.?

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Anti-virus software suggestions?" Jul 20, 2010

Lisa Simpson wrote:

I have just had to drop my subscription to McAfee when I realised that all the problems I was having with my computer (including with the printer & iPod) actually went away when I uninstalled McAfee. Yesterday my computer practically ground to a halt, it took hours to boot up, crashed my Office programs, took hours to receive/send mail. I uninstalled McAfee and it is now working like a dream. I can see that there are dozens of different anti-virus options out there on the market, some free some not. Can anyone recommend a good one they are using (that is not overly resource hungry) and am I likely to have a problem with the fact that McAfee once existed on this computer and thus refuses to accept any other software (something that happened to me eons ago)? Thank you.

Paied: NOD AV (reliable and silent)
Free: Avast Home

I am using the second for many years now, withoutany problem. The downside is that it does not allow you to send bulkmail (I send personalised bulk-mail twice a year to remember my clients I am still working on the market...).

This is probably a countermesure to avoid mass-mail hijacking on your computer, bit I believe it really does not matter, if you do not send massive mailings.

[Editado a las 2010-07-20 12:30 GMT]

Egidijus Slepetys
Egidijus Slepetys  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:02
German to Lithuanian
ESET NOD32 Antivirus Jul 20, 2010

is the best.

Karletto
Karletto
English to Slovenian
+ ...
i suggest Jul 20, 2010

I suggest you install 2 anti-virus programes becasue in case one software doesn't detect a virus (and it can happen) other one will. Second sofware doesn't need to be payable, for example Microsoft Security Essentials but two front lines are better than one.

lidija68
lidija68  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
avast Jul 20, 2010

I use avast, and I'm very happy with it. (I have also installed McAffe Site Advisor, free, and Windows Defender).

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Norton Antivirus 2010 Jul 20, 2010

I second this suggestion. It seems to have won every German consumer test that I looked at.

However, I also got the impression that the best freeware solutions are almost as good.

The deciding point for me was the question of liability: I can tell my clients that I have Norton Antivirus and that I don't do anything stupid (opening suspicious e-mails in HTML-version, downloading questionable software, disabling of recommended settings, etc.) and this seems to me like a
... See more
I second this suggestion. It seems to have won every German consumer test that I looked at.

However, I also got the impression that the best freeware solutions are almost as good.

The deciding point for me was the question of liability: I can tell my clients that I have Norton Antivirus and that I don't do anything stupid (opening suspicious e-mails in HTML-version, downloading questionable software, disabling of recommended settings, etc.) and this seems to me like a good defense against claims of negligence if something goes wrong.

And you may want to buy it from Amazon or another software-provider and not from Norton, it is much cheaper that way and, at least in Germany, has no drawbacks.

Sincerely,
Michael
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 21:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Microsoft Security Essentials Jul 20, 2010

If you have a valid copy of Windows XP, Vista or 7, Microsoft Security Essentials is available by free.

It includes Antivirus and antispyware. It doesn´t affect the system since it is made by
Microsoft to be used with Windows .

Elina Andriamananahasinoro
Elina Andriamananahasinoro  Identity Verified
Madagascar
Local time: 03:02
English to French
NOD 32 Jul 20, 2010

I am using NOD 32 antivirus.
It's light and I haven't encountered any problem of incompatibility with other software so far.

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
MSE Jul 20, 2010

Walter Landesman wrote:

It doesn´t affect the system since it is made by Microsoft to be used with Windows .

Weeeellllll..... I'd argue with that

I installed MSE soon after it came out. Since then, I've had two false alarms, with the software questioning the validity of my operating system (XP SP3). I updated the Windows genuine software checker (or whatever it's called) and everything was fine, but then it went ahead and did it again.

Otherwise it works fine (whatever that means - just because the software did not report any viruses does not mean it did not let any through, right?) and does not seem to burden the system very much.

Best,
Pawel Skalinski

Filippe Vasconcellos de Freitas Guimarães
Filippe Vasconcellos de Freitas Guimarães  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:02
Member (2009)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
NOD32, Kaspersky, Norton Jul 20, 2010

I second Pablo's suggestion—NOD32 is absolutely excellent. Kaspersky is also very effective, and quite fast (always a concern). I recently switched to Norton after hearing rave reviews about its performance improvements, though, and have yet to be disappointed.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anti-virus software suggestions?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »