CE (Central European) Fonts in pdf Files (Adobe Acrobat 6.0)
Thread poster: Karen Ordanic
Karen Ordanic
Karen Ordanic  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:15
English to Croatian
+ ...
Feb 22, 2004

Apparently, CE fonts are not embedded in Adobe Acrobat 6.0, so the diacriticals are not showing up correctly.

How could I correct this?

Thanks.

Aquila Aurata
Aquila Aurata
Local time: 14:15
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Perhaps... Feb 22, 2004

Karen,

Here is an article that might help you:

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2eb4e.htm

Have you tried downloading the CE version of Acrobat reader?

Cheers,

Peter

Karen Ordanic
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much, Peter. I did try, but without success. Feb 23, 2004

Peter Marko wrote:

Karen,

Here is an article that might help you:

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2eb4e.htm

Have you tried downloading the CE version of Acrobat reader?

Cheers,

Peter

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
What exactly is the problem? Feb 23, 2004

I am not sure what exactly is the problem. Are you trying to create a PDF file with Adobe Acrobat, or do you just want to open an existing PDF file with Adobe Reader (Acrobat Reader)?

If you are creating a PDF file, you should embed the fonts (see the link provided by Peter).

If you are opening a PDF file and the characters are not displayed correctly, then the font is probably not embedded and you have to install it to your computer.

Karen Ordanic
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Saving a PageMaker file as a PDF file Feb 23, 2004

Thank you very much for the answer.

I am trying to save a PageMaker 7.0 file, in which the Times New Roman CE font is correctly showing, by exporting it to a Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Standard PDF file. I did follow the procedure in the suggested link, but it does not work for me. CE fonts are also working fine in Word.

Thanks.

Hynek Palatin wrote:

I am not sure what exactly is the problem. Are you trying to create a PDF file with Adobe Acrobat, or do you just want to open an existing PDF file with Adobe Reader (Acrobat Reader)?

If you are creating a PDF file, you should embed the fonts (see the link provided by Peter).

If you are opening a PDF file and the characters are not displayed correctly, then the font is probably not embedded and you have to install it to your computer.

Aquila Aurata
Aquila Aurata
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Other options Feb 23, 2004

Karen,

Perhaps there is a problem with PageMaker's export function. Try installing PDF995, which is a free PDF converter, available from here:

http://www.pdf995.com

Works as a printer driver, so the way to create a PDF file is to 'print' the document to this virtual printer. If this works, try reinstalling PageMaker. If it doesn't, try reinstalling Acrobat Reader.

... See more
Karen,

Perhaps there is a problem with PageMaker's export function. Try installing PDF995, which is a free PDF converter, available from here:

http://www.pdf995.com

Works as a printer driver, so the way to create a PDF file is to 'print' the document to this virtual printer. If this works, try reinstalling PageMaker. If it doesn't, try reinstalling Acrobat Reader.

Good luck!

Peter
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Sorry... Feb 23, 2004

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with PageMaker, so I can't give you any more suggestions.

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
CE fonts and PageMaker Feb 23, 2004

KarenO wrote:

Thank you very much for the answer.

I am trying to save a PageMaker 7.0 file, in which the Times New Roman CE font is correctly showing, by exporting it to a Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Standard PDF file. I did follow the procedure in the suggested link, but it does not work for me. CE fonts are also working fine in Word.

Hello Karen,
What is your system? Adobe PageMaker is not fully compatible with OpenType fonts (Times New Roman is OpenType font in Win 2000/XP). You may need to make some virtual font substitutions.

BTW: what are the font embedding options in your installation of Acrobat?

Regards,
Wojtek

Karen Ordanic
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Windows Win 2000/XP Feb 23, 2004

[quote]Wojciech Froelich wrote:

Hello.

Yes, I have Win 2000/XP. I think you are right about compatibility. Not sure about the font embedding options in Acrobat installation. I will check.

Thank you very much for your help.
Karen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CE (Central European) Fonts in pdf Files (Adobe Acrobat 6.0)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »