https://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/21365-how_to_count_words_in_image_files.html

how to count words in image files
Thread poster: Sabry Hameed
Sabry Hameed
Sabry Hameed  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 19:25
Member (2004)
Persian (Farsi) to Arabic
+ ...
May 19, 2004

Dear All,
Recently I have received some files to be tarnslated, the problem is that these files are scanned files as images and I dont know how to verify the word count given to me, or in some cases, count the words when asked to do the counting. I much appreciate your help.

Sabry

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:25
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Use OCR software May 19, 2004

I recommend FineReader 7.

Kind Regards,

Spiros Doikas
[ www.translatum.gr ]

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:55
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Any OCR software that can be run without scanners? May 19, 2004

As far as I know (and it is not much far), for utilising an OCR feature one has to have a scanner and give the option for scanning the printouts into Word or any other editable format. Is there any software in this department dispensing with the use of scanners? To me it appears that it should be available somewhere or it is time such a thing is invented. And it falls upon a translator to do it, as the need for editable copies is predominantly a translator's requirement.

In the pre
... See more
As far as I know (and it is not much far), for utilising an OCR feature one has to have a scanner and give the option for scanning the printouts into Word or any other editable format. Is there any software in this department dispensing with the use of scanners? To me it appears that it should be available somewhere or it is time such a thing is invented. And it falls upon a translator to do it, as the need for editable copies is predominantly a translator's requirement.

In the present arrangement, an image is to be printed out and then scanned into a word format. What a waste of time and paper?

Regards,
N.Raghavan
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:25
English to German
+ ...
Don't they all? May 20, 2004

Hi Narasimhan,
I occasionally use FineReader and ReadIris, both of which have an option to read from a file (usually TIFF format). I would expect all the major applications to have that ability - after all, incoming PC faxes are a msjor source of OCR input.

Cheers, Ralf

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
maybe with old OCR programmes... May 20, 2004

Hi Narasimhan,

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:
In the present arrangement, an image is to be printed out and then scanned into a word format. What a waste of time and paper?

FWIW, my OmniPage Pro 12 reads a dozen different file formats (graphic and pdf).

Regards,
Grace.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to count words in image files

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »