Mobile menu

Framemaker font issues
Thread poster: CML
CML  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:47
French to English
+ ...
Jun 18, 2004

Just curious if anyone knows of any workarounds to get FrameMaker to display fonts correctly (on a US operating system)for languages such as: Polish, Slovak, Turkish etc..
Any ideas or tips you can suggest would be much appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxBrandis
Local time: 06:47
English to German
+ ...
Adobe Fontfolio Jun 18, 2004

CML wrote:

Just curious if anyone knows of any workarounds to get FrameMaker to display fonts correctly (on a US operating system)for languages such as: Polish, Slovak, Turkish etc..
Hi! Try Adobe´s Fontfolio, here you will find everything. I do not know about turkish. Intro polish, slovakian or turkish keyboards and fontset.
Greets
brandis

CML  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the suggestion Jun 20, 2004

Brandis wrote:

CML wrote:

Hi! Try Adobe´s Fontfolio, here you will find everything. I do not know about turkish. Intro polish, slovakian or turkish keyboards and fontset.
Greets
brandis

Thanks for the info. I'll look into Fontfolio.

Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
FontFolio is excessive and possibly unnecessary... Jun 21, 2004

I do not think FontFolio is your answer - it is the complete Adobe font collection, from $ 5,000 up!

From Adobe's support site:
Adobe FrameMaker supports only the character sets of roman fonts that use the ISO Latin-1 character set and the Asian character sets of Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, and Korean. FrameMaker doesn't support the character sets of other non-roman fonts (for example, Arabic, Hebrew, or Cyrillic), even when you use the appropriate language kit or localized version of the operating system. Languages that use such characters include Czech, Greek, Hungarian, Polish, Russian, Turkish, and others.
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/1ad1e.htm

I suggest you contact Adobe for further info on this.

Roberta

CML  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
font mapping Jun 22, 2004

Even though FrameMaker doesn't support certain languages, I know there are workarounds involving font mapping etc.
Keep the ideas coming. I appreaciate all responses.
Christina

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Use the proper fonts Jun 30, 2004

CML wrote:

1. Make sure your system supports the language you want to use in FrameMaker (install support for appropriate group of languages - CE for Polish and Slovak). Switch to regional settings for this language.
2. Use the proper fonts - CE for Polish and Slovak, Tur for Turkish, for example Arial CE or Arial Tur instead of "only" Arial.
3. There is bug in FrameMaker (all versions from 5.5.6 to 7.0) that doesn't allow displaying "latin small letter t with caron" (used in Czech and Slovak) and "latin capital letter z with acute (used in Polish). Patch is available, but AFAIR it is not free.
4. On some system additional registry trick is required - but only in case you switched to regional settings, used proper font and still cannot get the national characters.

Wojtek

mollye
English
Patch? Mar 23, 2006

Wojciech Froelich wrote:

CML wrote:

1. Make sure your system supports the language you want to use in FrameMaker (install support for appropriate group of languages - CE for Polish and Slovak). Switch to regional settings for this language.
2. Use the proper fonts - CE for Polish and Slovak, Tur for Turkish, for example Arial CE or Arial Tur instead of "only" Arial.
3. There is bug in FrameMaker (all versions from 5.5.6 to 7.0) that doesn't allow displaying "latin small letter t with caron" (used in Czech and Slovak) and "latin capital letter z with acute (used in Polish). Patch is available, but AFAIR it is not free.
4. On some system additional registry trick is required - but only in case you switched to regional settings, used proper font and still cannot get the national characters.

Wojtek

Can you tell me more about the patch?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Framemaker font issues

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs