Macros for Track Changes (word count)?
Thread poster: Jenae Spry
Jenae Spry
Jenae Spry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:47
French to English
Oct 17, 2012

Does anyone have any useful macros they have created specifically for track changes? I've searched far and wide for a word count program that would count track changes and the only one I found (practicount) seems to fail almost every time. So, I thought perhaps someone might have created a nifty macro that would at the very least go through and "reject" all deletions, which would mean that by accepting insertions and rejecting deletions, one would have a decent word count of the entire document.... See more
Does anyone have any useful macros they have created specifically for track changes? I've searched far and wide for a word count program that would count track changes and the only one I found (practicount) seems to fail almost every time. So, I thought perhaps someone might have created a nifty macro that would at the very least go through and "reject" all deletions, which would mean that by accepting insertions and rejecting deletions, one would have a decent word count of the entire document.

Ideas?
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:47
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
My best method so far... Oct 17, 2012

Jenae Spry wrote:
Does anyone have any useful macros they have created specifically for track changes?

I don't have any macro, but here's what I do to get the word count:

1. Create two copies of the source text file, called "before.doc" and "after.doc".
2. In before.doc, reject all changes, and save; in after.doc, accept all changes, and save.
3. Create a copy of before.doc called before2.doc, and align these two documents into a single TM in which the source and target text is the same.
4. Now do an analysis of after.doc against the TM created from before.doc.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Not created, but found Oct 17, 2012

Jenae Spry wrote:

Does anyone have any useful macros they have created specifically for track changes?

I haven't created a macro, but I found one that counts words in track changes in Word. Maybe that's what you're looking for? I wrote about it in Track changes in SDL Trados Studio 2011 SP2. Skip to the end of the article to download the macro.

HTH,
Emma

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
It's not that simple Oct 17, 2012

Jenae Spry wrote:

by accepting insertions and rejecting deletions, one would have a decent word count of the entire document.

Delete 100 words, then insert 99 words - what wordcount would you expect then?

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Emma Oct 17, 2012

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
I found one that counts words in track changes in Word. Maybe that's what you're looking for? I wrote about it in Track changes in SDL Trados Studio 2011 SP2.

Unfortunately this counts only inserted words, and not deleted words.

Also (though this is not a problem) it counts multiple insertions in a single word as multiple words.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Quite right Oct 17, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
I found one that counts words in track changes in Word. Maybe that's what you're looking for? I wrote about it in Track changes in SDL Trados Studio 2011 SP2.

Unfortunately this counts only inserted words, and not deleted words.

Yes, you're right. I mentioned this just below the macro:
"The macro will count all new inserted words, but it ignores any deleted text or other changes."

Jenae Spry
United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe I'm missing something? Oct 17, 2012

Rolf Keller wrote:

Jenae Spry wrote:

by accepting insertions and rejecting deletions, one would have a decent word count of the entire document.

199 if I'm translating the deleted words and the inserted words plus the words that weren't touched. What's so complicated? Am I missing something?

Thank you Emma! Although I'd rather have a macro that does the opposite, this is certainly a start!

I thought a quick Google search would give me a simple way to do this but I'm really surprised Word doesn't have this built in. Silly Microsoft.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The reason I count segments... Oct 17, 2012

Jenae Spry wrote:
Rolf Keller wrote:
Jenae Spry wrote:
By accepting insertions and rejecting deletions, one would have a decent word count of the entire document.

I suspect Rolf thought it would be -1.

Anyway, a deleted word can't count as just one word, because the way to treat that deleted word depends on the sentence that it is in. So you have to take the entire sentence into consideration, even if it is just a word. That is why I prefer my method that counts altered segments.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
What is the aim? Oct 18, 2012

Jenae Spry wrote:

199 if I'm translating the deleted words and the inserted words plus the words that weren't touched. What's so complicated? Am I missing something?

"Translating the deleted words"? I'm not quite sure about what you want to achieve.

If you replaced "house" by "building", do you want to be paid for 2 words plus the words that weren't touched?

Jenae Spry
United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
A little late for a reply now but... Jan 10, 2013

Rolf Keller wrote:

If you replaced "house" by "building", do you want to be paid for 2 words plus the words that weren't touched?

If I have to translate the word "house" AND the word "building" AND the surrounding words then yes I want to be paid for all of them. There is an increasing trend where I am receiving a track changes file in the source language where no previous translation exists and the client wants a new file with track changes, which means I have to translate the original text plus the changed text. I'm not talking about a simple "update" job where the client has made revisions to a file and the translation needs to be updated to reflect said changes.

I hope that clears things up.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Macros for Track Changes (word count)?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »