FrameMaker?!
Thread poster: Kunik
Kunik
Kunik  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:19
English to Latvian
+ ...
Sep 1, 2004

First of all, I apologise if this sounds too dumb...
A client sent me an rtf file (with weird tags) stating that the translation should be delivered in pdf and FrameMaker formats... I don't have FrameMaker and, frankly, I have no idea where to get it and how to use it... what if I just translate the rtf file, just keeping all the weird tags in place?
I've read all the FrameMaker related postings here and elsewhere, consulted websites etc., but all this did not make me wiser at all.... See more
A client sent me an rtf file (with weird tags) stating that the translation should be delivered in pdf and FrameMaker formats... I don't have FrameMaker and, frankly, I have no idea where to get it and how to use it... what if I just translate the rtf file, just keeping all the weird tags in place?
I've read all the FrameMaker related postings here and elsewhere, consulted websites etc., but all this did not make me wiser at all.((

[Edited at 2004-09-01 21:23]
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
- Sep 1, 2004

So FrameMaker or FileMaker?

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:19
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Probably your client is inexperienced Sep 2, 2004

If he/she has Framemaker files (.fm) and sends you .rtf I don-t believe the result will satisfy her. In any case translate only one file, send it back and make sure that is what she wants.
You can download a 30 days trial version of Framemaker 7.1 from the Adobe site.
fm-files converted into rtf can be translated using Trados TagEditor, but still there can be trouble. Look at the Trados Support forum.

Terence Ajbro
Terence Ajbro
Sweden
English to German
+ ...
You have received tagged TRADOS files converted from Framemaker Sep 2, 2004

[quote]tinageta wrote:

I've read all the FrameMaker related postings here and elsewhere, consulted websites etc., but all this did not make me wiser at all.((

You have most likely received converted files from a program called S-Tagger for Framemaker, part of the TRADOS package. I have worked with these programs for years and can tell you that if you make even the slightest change in those codes, you are going to cause a lot of headaches for the person who has to convert them back to Framemaker! Each code must match 100 percent during the verification process. Also your client sounds somewhat confused, the normal procedure for such as job is as follows:

1. Client converts Framemaker files to RTF format with codes.
2. Client sends RTF files and PDF print copy of document (which he/she has generated in Framemaker) for quotation purposes. You also need the pdf file for a better overview.
3. Translator works on the RTF file and sends it back to client.
4. Client converts the RTF file back to Framemaker format and generates a PDF file for proofing purposes which is sent back to the translator.
5. Any corrections will have to be made in the RTF file and the conversion process will be repeated.

It does not make sense that you have received coded RTF files and then are asked to work in Framemaker!

Hope this helps

Terence Ajbro
Technical writer/localisation co-ordinator

Mathew Robinson
Mathew Robinson
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:19
English
S-Tagger Sep 2, 2004

Usually S-Tagger will convert FrameMaker MIF files into RTF files with the following characteristics:

1) Tags will be displayed in a greyed out font.
2) Tags will be protected by the style sheet in Word, making them uneditable.

Note: Tag Editor in Trados 6.5 will alert you if you have somehow duplicated or deleted any tags (source and target tags do not match) for each segment translated. You should still visually verify the tags though.

If the RTF fi
... See more
Usually S-Tagger will convert FrameMaker MIF files into RTF files with the following characteristics:

1) Tags will be displayed in a greyed out font.
2) Tags will be protected by the style sheet in Word, making them uneditable.

Note: Tag Editor in Trados 6.5 will alert you if you have somehow duplicated or deleted any tags (source and target tags do not match) for each segment translated. You should still visually verify the tags though.

If the RTF file supplied has neither of the above, it is unlikely it was processed using S-Tagger, however Tag Editor should still be able to identify the tags and protect them.

Even if you had FrameMaker installed on your computer, you would not be able to import the RTF file in any meaningful way, and certainly not looking like an 'end product' to produce a PDF for returning to the client. It would be missing all images, any special fonts will default to system fonts, and any user defined style sheets will be missing.

Your client should be contacted to verify what they expect to be returned, a telephone call would probably be more productive than an email in these circumstances. My guess is that a translated RTF with all tags untouched will be all that is required.
Collapse

Kunik
Kunik  Identity Verified
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
may thanks Sep 3, 2004

Many, many thanks to everyone who took their time to answer me. All the replies and advices were very useful. The client agreed to receive the files as rtf, so the problem is solved. I promise to study the software and maybe (after a looooong time) I will be able to be as helpful to others as you were to me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

FrameMaker?!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »