Counting words in chineese
Thread poster: Yolande Haneder (X)
Yolande Haneder (X)
Yolande Haneder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:58
German to French
+ ...
Nov 4, 2004

I know somebody for which I may proceed some translations between german and chineese as from the beginning of next year.
The point is if I get the text in german, I can count the words or the lines to make the price to the client. But what if the client turns someday with a text in Chineese to translate into German, do you know if I would be even be able to count the words in words or trados to unable me to make the offer before I can translate it to the translator? I think thant to proz
... See more
I know somebody for which I may proceed some translations between german and chineese as from the beginning of next year.
The point is if I get the text in german, I can count the words or the lines to make the price to the client. But what if the client turns someday with a text in Chineese to translate into German, do you know if I would be even be able to count the words in words or trados to unable me to make the offer before I can translate it to the translator? I think thant to proz it won't be difficult to find a translator, but I need first to calculate the price for the end client first.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Yolande
Collapse

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:58
German to English
Always count the German words Nov 4, 2004

Hi! I'm no expert on Chinese but if it was me I would tell the client that the price would always be based on the German no matter whether it's the source or target language. That would solve the problem. Maybe others have more experience with Chinese ...

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:58
English to Chinese
+ ...
Try this Nov 4, 2004

You may download a calculator here: http://www.globalrendering.com/

I used it to count my Word files in Chinese with satisfactory results.

Yolande Haneder wrote:

The point is if I get the text in german, I can count the words or the lines to make the price to the client. But what if the client turns someday with a text in Chineese to translate into German, do you know if I would be even be able to count the words in words or trados to unable me to make the offer before I can translate it to the translator? I think thant to proz it won't be difficult to find a translator, but I need first to calculate the price for the end client first.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Yolande

Josep Carreras
Josep Carreras  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Easy with FreeBudget Nov 4, 2004

It supports documents in any language and delivers correct and comprehensive statistics.
Download it from:

http://www.webbudget.com (look for link at the bottom left side)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Counting words in chineese

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »