Annamaria Leone
Annamaria Leone  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 18:17
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Nov 14, 2004

Hello everybody.
Yesterday, talking with a DTP operator, she told me that in order to import styles from word to Xpress I had to set the "machette" (not sure about the spelling) in Microsoft Word (since i had to import a eord text in Xpress). She told me that it is not enough to set styles and formatting (Stili e formattazione in Italian, not sure about the English name of the SW option) since QuarkXpress does not recognise these style.
Is there someone knowing how to set these "mach
... See more
Hello everybody.
Yesterday, talking with a DTP operator, she told me that in order to import styles from word to Xpress I had to set the "machette" (not sure about the spelling) in Microsoft Word (since i had to import a eord text in Xpress). She told me that it is not enough to set styles and formatting (Stili e formattazione in Italian, not sure about the English name of the SW option) since QuarkXpress does not recognise these style.
Is there someone knowing how to set these "machettes"? I searched the web but find nothing. Someone could explain?

Thanks a lot,

Annamaria
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 19:17
English to German
+ ...
Import raw text content Nov 14, 2004

Hi! I do not know the words "machette or eord" but under circumstances, I find it better that you ask that DTP operator, what he/she meant with that. you can also import raw text content as .txt and customize it in QuarkXpress.
Rgds,
Brandis

Annamaria Leone
Ireland
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Nov 14, 2004

Brandis wrote:

Hi! I do not know the words "machette or eord" but under circumstances, I find it better that you ask that DTP operator, what he/she meant with that. you can also import raw text content as .txt and customize it in QuarkXpress.
Rgds,
Brandis

Thank you Brandis,
I asket the DTP operator and she told she didn't know how to do but she promised to make me know. But I was trying to do it by my own in the meantime.
As regards the txt, I have a formatted text in word and I would prefer to use it if it is possible. It's quite a long text...
Thanks a lot.

Annamaria

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
machette > maquette (template or modello) Nov 14, 2004

Annamaria Leone wrote:

she told me that in order to import styles from word to Xpress I had to set the "machette" (not sure about the spelling) in Microsoft Word

Hi Annamaria.
If your DTP operator is a French speaker, maybe she meant "maquette", i.e. template or modello (in Italian), that's the .dot files in Word containin styles to be applied to all documents (i.e. Normal.dot)

At the bottom of the "Impostazioni formato" (Format settings?) dialog box, you have a check box to save your settings in the template; maybe this is what she means.

HtH,
Roberta

Annamaria Leone
Ireland
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you, Roberta Nov 14, 2004

Roberta Anderson wrote:

Hi Annamaria.
If your DTP operator is a French speaker, maybe she meant "maquette", i.e. template or modello (in Italian), that's the .dot files in Word containin styles to be applied to all documents (i.e. Normal.dot)

At the bottom of the "Impostazioni formato" (Format settings?) dialog box, you have a check box to save your settings in the template; maybe this is what she means.

Hi Roberta,
She is Italian... However I would try your suggestion. Thanks a lot...
I had thought that she could mean "tag" as she explained that "machette" are < < > > between which there are indications about the style. So I also searched for tag + word + quarkXpress in google but find nothing useful as well. Do you know if there is a method to place these kind of tags in word? However I will try with the template. Thank you again.
Have a good day,

Annamaria

PS: I've just found an Italian forum about QuarkXpress on the Web and I will try to ask there... the link to the forum is http://www.macity.it/forum1/messages/4160/179.shtml if someone is interested in it.

[Edited at 2004-11-14 09:11]

[Edited at 2004-11-14 09:12]

Roberta Anderson
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
style tags Nov 14, 2004

Annamaria Leone wrote:

she explained that "machette" are < < > > between which there are indications about the style.

Ah-ha, maybe then this is what she meant (but the only word for "machette" I can think of is the Italian "marchette", little markers -> tags?):
If you add in front of each paragraph in your word file a tag with its style name, then when you import the file in QXP the style with the same name (which must already be defined in QXP, though) will be applied to the text, which will then be formatted automatically.
For instance:
< Title > Your title text goes here
< Para1 > This is your text for your first paragraph...
< Bullet list > and this is your fist bullet item
this is your second bullet item
this is your third bullet item
< Para > here your text continues with a normal paragraph formatting

and so on.
Note that I had to insert a space between the angle brackets and the style name, so s to get it displayed here, otherwise it is seen as a tag and not displayed in this topic text! But no space is actually required.

When you place this in QXP, the styles with the names matching the text in < > will be applied to your text.
You do not need to repeat the style tag for each paragraph, but just for the paragraphs where there it a style change.

I do not know if you can do this automatically in Word (assuming the correct style names had been applied in Word); in most DTP applications you can export the text "with tags" so that each paragraph is preceded by its < style tag >. It's important that the tag matches the actual style name in QXP, otherwise a new style will be added and the formatting might not be as requested.

HtH,
Roberta

[Edited at 2004-11-14 10:31]

Annamaria Leone
Ireland
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
tags Nov 14, 2004

[quote]Roberta Anderson wrote:
Ah-ha, maybe then this is what she meant (but the only word for "machette" I can think of is the Italian "marchette", little markers -> tags?):
If you add in front of each paragraph in your word file a tag with its style name, then when you import the file in QXP the style with the same name (which must already be defined in QXP, though) will be applied to the text, which will then be formatted automatically.
For instance:
\ Your title text goes here
This is your text for your first paragraph...
and this is your fist bullet item
this is your second bullet item
this is your third bullet item
here your text continues with a normal paragraph formatting

Thank you, do you mean that I have just to type tag such as \ and match the same name in the styles in Quarkxpress?
Or there is a tag function in word to put these tags (not necessarily in an automated way but also manually from a menu? I wasn't able to find such a function...)

Thanks a lot for your time, Roberta

Annamaria

[Edited at 2004-11-14 09:45]

Roberta Anderson
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
tag format: [open angled bracket][style name][closed angled bracket] Nov 14, 2004

Annamaria Leone wrote:
do you mean that I have just to type tag such as \ and match the same name in the styles in Quarkxpress?
Or there is a tag function in word to put these tags (not necessarily in an automated way but also manually from a menu? I wasn't able to find such a function...)

Se my edited topic text for the correct formatting of these tags Annamaria (as HTML is on, I could not display them correctly here).

I do not know of any way to get them into your Word text automatically; unless someone else can suggest how to do this, you can do it manually.
what is important, though, is that they match the actual style name in QXP, for the styles to be applied to titles, first paragraph, continuing paragraphs, bullet lists, subtitles, etc. Did the DTP operator who gave you these instructions also give you a list of these styles as reference?

Roberta

Annamaria Leone
Ireland
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
she did'nt Nov 14, 2004

Roberta Anderson wrote:
Did the DTP operator who gave you these instructions also give you a list of these styles as reference?

Roberta

No she didn't

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
you may be able to use a macro to insert style tags Nov 14, 2004

[quote]Annamaria wrote:

Do you know if there is a method to place these kind of tags in word?

Hi Annamaria,

You might be able to use a Word macro to insert the style tags in the text (don't ask me any more; I couldn't program my way out of a parking lot, to borrow an expression). In any case, the macro would only be able to use the style names already defined in Word, so they would have to be identical to the style names defined in XPress.

You might also look on QX user sites / forums for a tool (macro)that can automatically insert style tags (lots of other people have already been faced with this problem).

Otherwise, I think your only choice is to enter them manually (not a pleasant prospect if you have a lot of text to deal with, but you can make the job a bit easier by using the Find function to search for each occurrence of a given style -- styles are anchored to hard returns ('paragraph marks') in Word, so 'Find next' will jump to the next paragraph with the specified style).

Also, you should beware of locally applied attributes (i.e., attributes whose settings differ from those defined for the style applied to the text), since locally applied attributes will presumably be lost when the text cum style is imported into QX. As all but the most fanatical purists among Word users frequently use locally applied attributes, it's quite likely that even if you use style tags to import the styles of the Word text into QX, you will have to compare the result in QX with the original text and clean up the formatting as necessary (which with a bit of luck will still be faster than reformatting the entire text).

Good luck!

- Ken

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Search & Replace will easily add these tags in word Nov 14, 2004

Just select Search and Replace (Italian menu: "Modifica" > "Sostituisci...") and do the following:

- leave the Search ("Trova") field empty, hit Advanced ("Altro"), Format ("Formato"), choose Style ("Stile...") you want to tag

- go to the Replace with ("Sostituisci con...:") field and type the tag you want for that style, immediately followed by the string "^&". (This string means "found text")

Hit Replace all ("Sostituisci tutto") et voila.

(N
... See more
Just select Search and Replace (Italian menu: "Modifica" > "Sostituisci...") and do the following:

- leave the Search ("Trova") field empty, hit Advanced ("Altro"), Format ("Formato"), choose Style ("Stile...") you want to tag

- go to the Replace with ("Sostituisci con...:") field and type the tag you want for that style, immediately followed by the string "^&". (This string means "found text")

Hit Replace all ("Sostituisci tutto") et voila.

(NB For the sake of speed I am just trying to guess Word English Interface strings after my Word 2003 Italian)

HTH,
Luca
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

QuarkXpress 5.0 passport: how to import styles from MS word to QuarkXpress

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »