https://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/26663-translation_software_needed_to_help_in_learning_finnish.html

Off topic: Translation software needed to help in learning Finnish
Thread poster: raylitalo
raylitalo
raylitalo
English
Nov 15, 2004

I have been trying to learn the Finnish Language by reading the English and Finnish Bibles Simultaneously, using a nice software program that allows me to display the verses in the two languages in two columns, side-by-side.

During this process, when I have been getting stuck I have tried going to website-based Finnish-English translators with very limitted success. Often I suspect that the problem may be that the online dictionaries are too general, because my searches for the wor
... See more
I have been trying to learn the Finnish Language by reading the English and Finnish Bibles Simultaneously, using a nice software program that allows me to display the verses in the two languages in two columns, side-by-side.

During this process, when I have been getting stuck I have tried going to website-based Finnish-English translators with very limitted success. Often I suspect that the problem may be that the online dictionaries are too general, because my searches for the words I am trying to translate often are not included in the online dictionaries.

So I am now seeking some nice software that might help me when I get stuck. Can anyone please give recommendations for me?

Thank you very much,

Ross Ylitalo
[email][email protected][/email]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-11-15 16:47]
Collapse

Terence Ajbro
Terence Ajbro
Sweden
Local time: 18:48
English to German
+ ...
Learning Finnish Nov 16, 2004

Terve Ross!

I did very much the same thing as you when I was learning Finnish. I know the Bible and Tolkien's Lord of the Rings very well so I purchased both in Finnish and started reading! Fortunately I could attend classes in Copenhagen for Finnish and managed to learn most of the grammar (such beauty!). However up to point I could come no further since interest in the Finnish language (at least in Denmark) is rather limited. After a certain level, there were just not enough peopl
... See more
Terve Ross!

I did very much the same thing as you when I was learning Finnish. I know the Bible and Tolkien's Lord of the Rings very well so I purchased both in Finnish and started reading! Fortunately I could attend classes in Copenhagen for Finnish and managed to learn most of the grammar (such beauty!). However up to point I could come no further since interest in the Finnish language (at least in Denmark) is rather limited. After a certain level, there were just not enough people to make up a class.

If there is any software for learning Finnish, it is most likely to be in Swedish. It is a pity that Finnish is not as widespread as English is, I just love its regular grammar and orthography!

I have an excellent Finnish grammar in Swedish by a man called "Karlsson", if I remember rightly. The book is also available in English.

By the way, you have a Finnish surname which means "overhouse", right?

Good hunting!

Terence Ajbro
Collapse

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:48
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
language learning software programs Nov 21, 2004

raylitalo wrote:

So I am now seeking some nice software that might help me when I get stuck. Can anyone please give recommendations for me?
Ross Ylitalo

Terence Ajbro wrote:
I did very much the same thing as you when I was learning Finnish. I know the Bible and Tolkien's Lord of the Rings very well so I purchased both in Finnish and started reading!
If there is any software for learning Finnish, it is most likely to be in Swedish. It is a pity that Finnish is not as widespread as English is, I just love its regular grammar and orthography!

I have an excellent Finnish grammar in Swedish by a man called "Karlsson", if I remember rightly. The book is also available in English.
Terence Ajbro

Your mention of the use of the Bible as a language learning method is something which I described in a different way in an article a couple of years ago (The Bible as an untapped resource) for using the aligned segments (verses) in the Bible as a machine learning mechanism for MT and TM tools.
http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs/bible.htm

As for translation software, I have heard that Pimsleur language learning software is very good. Check out:
http://www.multilingualbooks.com/

The US Foreign Services Institute (FSI) language learning software should also be good. Same website.

I've recently heard of another language learning software program that a colleague has used and has found to be very good. I can look into it.

FYI: One of the best language learning programs that I am aware of is has been offered by the Thunderbird Graduate School of International Management (Arizona, USA). Look up "thunderbird management arizona" on google.com and look at first 3 hits.
Their approach is very effective and confirmed by at least 2 people I know who have taken it. One went on to be a linguist and professional translator for many years.
I am not sure if the language program at Thunderbird still exists.

Jeff
http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation software needed to help in learning Finnish

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »