QuarkXpress : Is there any downloadable version ?
Thread poster: keshab
keshab
keshab  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:58
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jan 29, 2005

Hi!
Few days ago,a job was posted seeking English>Hindi translator.In reply to my response,the agency stated that they would like to get the job done in QuarkXpress format.
I want to know is it very hard to learn and is there any downloadable version that I get and do the job?
Thanks in advance.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:28
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please look at www.quark.com Jan 29, 2005

But AFAIK you will either need to have the full version of Quark yourself, or your customer will have to prepare the file with a CAT tool you own.

Regards
Jerzy

mmsloboda (X)
mmsloboda (X)
Local time: 18:28
QuarkXPress Mudra 4.1, Indian Edition Jan 29, 2005

I think buying Quark would be expensive unless it's a very very large expensive job. Also, since you need to get QuarkXPress Mudra 4.1, Indian Edition for Hindi, I wonder how the client would read your results. Often QuarkXpress' localized versions use incompatible file formats between English and other versions. That's something you'd have to check.

Sounds like trouble.

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
Quark Xpress is expensive Jan 29, 2005

Mark Sloboda wrote:
I think buying Quark would be expensive unless it's a very very large expensive job.

I remembering ordering Quark Xpress about 4 years ago because we thought we'd need it. It was definitely expensive. Something in the 600 to 1000 USD range if I recall. Maybe more. About a year and a half later, we used it to made CD covers and have used it since (great or that kind of job), until we finally outsourced all the CD packaging.
It did not seem necessary for all of the technical writing and translation related tasks that we were doing.
I would say it's not worth buying and learning unless it is really needed, and you're guaranteed to make a lot of money from that customer.

Jeff

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
QXP is expensive, indeed Jan 29, 2005

Try buying an original version with full license on eBay and then reregister it on your name and upgrade to the latest version. This seems to be the cheapest way to get in posession of Quark. But don't hope to spend less then one thousand Euros on that.
A new license of QXP 6.5 would cost 1.579 Euros in Germany.

Regards
Jerzy

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
Try QuarkXpress 6.5 Multilanguage Edition Jan 30, 2005

Hi! That I think is the solution you are seeking.Rgds,
Brandis

Nicolette Ri (X)
Nicolette Ri (X)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Agree with Jerzy Jan 31, 2005

I bought XPress 3.0 about 10 years ago (about 1500 €), updated it to version 4.1 for another 700 € and recently for version 6 (not very expensive, but not cheap either). It is not very difficult to learn neither complicated (a bit more specialized than Powerpoint), but when working every step takes time, especially if you need to calibrate the length of the text, the fonts or the height/length of a text box. You can print perfectly on a normal inkjet printer and then pass on your work to the... See more
I bought XPress 3.0 about 10 years ago (about 1500 €), updated it to version 4.1 for another 700 € and recently for version 6 (not very expensive, but not cheap either). It is not very difficult to learn neither complicated (a bit more specialized than Powerpoint), but when working every step takes time, especially if you need to calibrate the length of the text, the fonts or the height/length of a text box. You can print perfectly on a normal inkjet printer and then pass on your work to the typesetter. The problem is in the fonts: sometimes the clients are reluctant to give you their fonts, and sometimes there are small adaptation problems that you cannot resolve. You need the "international version" (which is more expensive than the monolingual version). I do this kind of work only if I am sure that my work is compatible with what the client wants, and I try it out before quoting a price.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

QuarkXpress : Is there any downloadable version ?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »