Need program for my glossaries
Thread poster: Christian
Christian
Christian
Local time: 21:47
English to German
+ ...
Jan 30, 2005

Hi! I have a couple of Excel files which I use for my glossaries. Unfortunately, working with these Excel glossaries is not really practical, so I would like to have some kind of a glossary program that combines all my glossaries under one user interface.

Does such a program (preferable freeware, but not a must) exist? How do you process your glossaries? Do you use Excel and/or Word files or do you have a special program for your glossaries.

Thanks for your help in adv
... See more
Hi! I have a couple of Excel files which I use for my glossaries. Unfortunately, working with these Excel glossaries is not really practical, so I would like to have some kind of a glossary program that combines all my glossaries under one user interface.

Does such a program (preferable freeware, but not a must) exist? How do you process your glossaries? Do you use Excel and/or Word files or do you have a special program for your glossaries.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Best regards,
Christian
Collapse

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Try wordfast Jan 30, 2005

Christian wrote:

Best regards,
Christian

Wordfast handles Excel glossaries. Just save as txt, tab-delimited. Download a copy from www.wordfast.net and try it. I know you have to pay for the programme to use large TM's, but I am not sure if this is the case for using its glossary functions. You can use three different glossaries in Wordfast. The glossaries are searchable through ALT+CTRL+G.

Aleksandr Surkov
Aleksandr Surkov
Estonia
Local time: 22:47
English to Russian
+ ...
dtSearch Jan 31, 2005

The dtSearch product line can instantly search gigabytes of text across a desktop, network, Internet or Intranet site.
http://www.dtsearch.com
I'm using it. It is very fast.

Christian
Christian
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting programs Jan 31, 2005

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I will definitely have a closer look at these programs but, nevertheless, if you know some more interesting glossary programs, please let me know.

TIA
Christian

Frank (Wei-fang) Luo
Frank (Wei-fang) Luo
United States
Local time: 15:47
Chinese to English
+ ...
This might sound pedestrian, but... Jan 31, 2005

I use Microsoft Access. It's fairly easy to program using graphic user interfaces, and I customize the fields as I please to include other salient facts such as the source of the term, etc.

Christian
Christian
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
good program but pretty expensive Jan 31, 2005

Weifang_Luo wrote:

I use Microsoft Access. It's fairly easy to program using graphic user interfaces, and I customize the fields as I please to include other salient facts such as the source of the term, etc.

MS Access would be a brilliant program for my purposes, but I don't have this program. I don't know if I would like to spend hundreds of bucks on a program just to be able to process a couple of Excel glossaries. I actually hoped there were some useful freeware or shareware programs out there that can handle my glossaries, but this is probably not the case. Well, back to MS Excel then. Anyway, thanks a lot for your help.

Christian

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
SR32.exe Jan 31, 2005

I have been using this utility on a daily basis (http://www.funduc.com/search_replace.htm). If you get an Excel glossary, convert it to .csv. Very useful for sw dump searches (you can choose to ignore the ampersand). Searches in zip files, txt, whole word, whatever. It is thin, fast and far easier than wading through Excel spreadsheets...
all the best,
Philippe

pep
pep
English to Spanish
If you can afford to convert them to text Jan 31, 2005

If you can afford to spend some time converting them from Excel to text, we have an internal tool that now we are testing in the field that could help. It can be downloaded at www.apsic.com/en/downloads.html.

Basically, what you need to do is:

1. Save your glossaries from Excel to TXT, making sure that the first row is the source text and the second row the target text.<
... See more
If you can afford to spend some time converting them from Excel to text, we have an internal tool that now we are testing in the field that could help. It can be downloaded at www.apsic.com/en/downloads.html.

Basically, what you need to do is:

1. Save your glossaries from Excel to TXT, making sure that the first row is the source text and the second row the target text.
2. Create a project to include any number of glossaries (the type you want to select is Tabbed Text).

Once the project is loaded with all your glossaries, you can perform searches (from the interface or directly from your editing application). You can assign priorities these glossaries if that makes sense to classify the different sources or qualities of information.

I hope this helps.

Pep.

Christian wrote:

Best regards,
Christian
Collapse

Christian
Christian
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
a "dictionary-like" glossary would be nice Feb 1, 2005

I have used MS Excel for my glossaries because it enables me to read words/phrases in the source language and in the target language at the same time. Adding new entries or changing old entries isn't a hassle either. I'm looking for something similar now. However, what I need is a program that enables me to process all entries in all glossaries unter one user interface. It should be a "dictionary-like" glossary which lists each and every entry of all the glossaries I have. Well, I keep on search... See more
I have used MS Excel for my glossaries because it enables me to read words/phrases in the source language and in the target language at the same time. Adding new entries or changing old entries isn't a hassle either. I'm looking for something similar now. However, what I need is a program that enables me to process all entries in all glossaries unter one user interface. It should be a "dictionary-like" glossary which lists each and every entry of all the glossaries I have. Well, I keep on searching ...Collapse

Ana Naglić
Ana Naglić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2005)
English to Croatian
+ ...
just an idea Feb 15, 2005

Having glossaries in Excel sounds impractical. I prefer having a searchable database.
You may go to http://www.freelang.net/dictionary/and download some disctionaries for the languages you use (they are free and you may add new words) and you may also create a 2-way dictionary of your own (e.g. English-Spanish - Medicine, French-Farsi - politics, etc).
Sound more practical to me, but on
... See more
Having glossaries in Excel sounds impractical. I prefer having a searchable database.
You may go to http://www.freelang.net/dictionary/and download some disctionaries for the languages you use (they are free and you may add new words) and you may also create a 2-way dictionary of your own (e.g. English-Spanish - Medicine, French-Farsi - politics, etc).
Sound more practical to me, but only if you have time to add all those words to the new dictionary. It may save you a lot of time later.
Collapse

Christian
Christian
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your suggestion. Feb 15, 2005

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I don't find searching for words in an Excel file that impractical, but it's definitely impractical if you have more than thirty or forty files where a word or expression in "hidden". I'm still looking for a practical solution - I do hope I will soon have found one. Anyway, thanks a lot for your help.

Kind regards,
Christian

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need program for my glossaries

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »