Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:55
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Jul 8, 2005

Hello everybody!

Today a client sent me a word document to be translated into a pdf. It's an arrest warrant and I already have a French, an English and a Portuguese version of those documents and when this client sends me an arrest warrant to translate, all I have to do is pick up the version he wants and write the data which is not in the form and which is provided in the source text.

This time he sent me a pdf with the French form and I must write in it. At the beginn
... See more
Hello everybody!

Today a client sent me a word document to be translated into a pdf. It's an arrest warrant and I already have a French, an English and a Portuguese version of those documents and when this client sends me an arrest warrant to translate, all I have to do is pick up the version he wants and write the data which is not in the form and which is provided in the source text.

This time he sent me a pdf with the French form and I must write in it. At the beginning I found it strange, because I only have "Acrobat Reader" (Version 5.0) and I knew I couldn't write in it, but this pdf he sent me has a lot of boxes where the missing data can actually be written.

I did all the translation in those boxes and saved at the end. "Acrobat Reader" showed me a box stating that the file already existed and I was asked if I wanted to replace it. I said yes and closed the document.

Fortunately for me, I opened the document once again before sending it to the client and... Surprise! Surprise! All I had written was gone!

Then I tried to write in it and save the document as a new file. It does save it in a new file, but it's empty anyway.

I would like a little help before I call the client and tell him that I spent one hour translating the file and then the translation disappeared.

What is wrong with the file? What can I do so that the translation does not disappear?

Thank you very much in advance for any help.
Ivana
Collapse

Şadan Öz
Şadan Öz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 04:55
English to Turkish
Editing pdf files Jul 9, 2005

Dear Ivana,
As you wrote in your message, you use an Acrobat "Reader"
and this tool does not allow any editing on it. So one of the solutions of your problem is to get an "Acrobat" Standard or Professional Editions from Adobe company. (See the product web site: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatstd/main.html)

You can find it some expensive (its Professional
... See more
Dear Ivana,
As you wrote in your message, you use an Acrobat "Reader"
and this tool does not allow any editing on it. So one of the solutions of your problem is to get an "Acrobat" Standard or Professional Editions from Adobe company. (See the product web site: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatstd/main.html)

You can find it some expensive (its Professional Edition price is 449 USD and Standard Edition's is 299 USD in the company's web site). If you will not use anymore or at least, frequently, you can ask help from a friend or a professional. Otherwise buy one. It's very helpful.

And another important point: PDF file format is available to insert comments and warnings to the reader (as you want to do with the boxes in the files), however it's not a word processing program. Normally, texts are prepared with an editable programs (e.g. Office suite members) and then converted to a final PDF file. When you want to translate a PDF file, you should want its editable version from the client or convert from the Acrobat.

Regards,
Sadan
Collapse

Jan Kolbaba
Jan Kolbaba  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 03:55
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
Dear Ivana, Jul 9, 2005

Dear Ivana,

I use a program PDF995 which is very simple and totaly free. It works as a secondary printer so you may convert from any program (including MS Word) into PDF format then.
Please take a look at http://www.pdf995.com/

I hope it will help.

Regards
Jan

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Adobe Reader - Edit but not save Jul 9, 2005

Adobe Reader provides the following forms capabilities:

-- View, navigate, and print PDF forms, including form field data

-- Search forms (requires Adobe Reader with Search)

-- Fill fields within a PDF form (cannot save changes to a PDF
form)

... See more
Adobe Reader provides the following forms capabilities:

-- View, navigate, and print PDF forms, including form field data

-- Search forms (requires Adobe Reader with Search)

-- Fill fields within a PDF form (cannot save changes to a PDF
form)

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/328647.html

So you might well be able to insert the translations as required and send it back to your client but not save the pdf on your machine as such.
Collapse

Syeda Tanbira Zaman
Syeda Tanbira Zaman
Local time: 07:25
English to Assamese
+ ...
It is the best. Jul 9, 2005

Jan Kolbaba wrote:

Dear Ivana,

I use a program PDF995 which is very simple and totaly free. It works as a secondary printer so you may convert from any program (including MS Word) into PDF format then.
Please take a look at http://www.pdf995.com/

I hope it will help.

Regards
Jan

Ever since I discovered PDF995, all my PDF blues have disappeared. Try it Ivana.

Balazs Horvath
Balazs Horvath
Hungary
English to Hungarian
openoffice.org Jul 10, 2005

Dear Ivana,

http://www.openoffice.org

OpenOffice.org is both a multi-platform and multi-lingual office suite and an open-source project. Compatible with all other major office suites, the product is free to download, use, and distribute.
It can also convert your documents into .pdf
It worth a try !

Cheers,
Balazs

Dan Schioenning Larsen
Dan Schioenning Larsen
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
update to version 7 Jul 10, 2005

Ivana de Sousa Santos wrote:
... because I only have "Acrobat Reader" (Version 5.0) and I knew I couldn't write in it, but this pdf he sent me has a lot of boxes where the missing data can actually be written.
Ivana

Dear Ivana,

I suggest that you update to Acrobat Reader v.7 which is the newest. The feature to fill out forms/fields in a pdf-file and save them locally on your harddisk is a new addition to v.7.

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/acrrwhatsnew.html

You can get it here - it's free.

[Edited at 2005-07-10 10:22]

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am going to try Acrobat version 7 Jul 10, 2005

Thank you for all your seggestions so far.

I was going to talk with the client tomorrow about this document, but first I will try Dan's suggestion.

Thank you so much.

Ivana

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Don't be too hopeful Jul 10, 2005

... but first I will try Dan's suggestion.

Ivana

As much as 7.0 is an improvement over 5.0, the information I posted above was for Readers 6.0 and 7.0; hence I doubt you will be able to save the form complete with the translated information filled in to a disk on your machine.

Making sure that you don't lose any work is, therefore, highly advisable.

Dan Schioenning Larsen
Dan Schioenning Larsen
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Test it with a small part of the translation Jul 10, 2005

first I will try Dan's suggestion.

Try to do a little bit of the document first and then save it. Don't wait until you have done it all before you save... in case it doesn't work.

I think it will, but I don't want you to waste a lot of time if it doesn't.

Good luck

Dan Schioenning Larsen
Dan Schioenning Larsen
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Depends on how the original was created Jul 11, 2005

Robert Tucker wrote:
As much as 7.0 is an improvement over 5.0, the information I posted above was for Readers 6.0 and 7.0; hence I doubt you will be able to save the form complete with the translated information filled in to a disk on your machine.

"If a PDF form is rights-enabled, Adobe Reader provides additional capabilities:

-- Save forms and data locally"

Above is from the same page as you linked to in your first post. If the proper rights have been assigned to the pdf-file, then it can be saved locally.

Whether the document in question has been saved like that is another matter, aout which Ivana probably should ask the client.

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Actually one cannot save with Acrobat Reader 7 Jul 11, 2005

Anyway, I spoke to the client and he was aware of that. He thought I had Acrobat Writer. He asked me to translate the document in the forms I have in Word and then turn it into a pdf. I will do that.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me out.

Best regards to all of you,
Ivana

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Right you are! Jul 11, 2005

Dan Larsen wrote:

If the proper rights have been assigned to the pdf-file, then it can be saved locally.

Confirm that - tried it with the "Income tax form" among the "Sample documents" at:

http://www.adobe.com/products/server/readerextensions/

Typed into a field on it, saved the pdf to hard-drive and then re-opened it. Entry still there.

Possible with 5.1 and above (according to the information that appears above the form).

(Actually Gnome PDF Viewer can't see the entry, though KPDF can - nothing to worry Windows users.)

[Edited at 2005-07-12 09:56]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I need help with a word doc to be translated into a pdf

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »