Problems with Normal.dot
Thread poster: Williamson

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:12
Flemish to English
+ ...
Aug 4, 2005

Somehow the Normal.dot has been replaced by an old Trados5.dot. I have tried many ways of removing that Trados5.0 dot, but I just keeps installing itself automatically.
I have removed all the .dot C:\Program Files\Microsoft Officenl\OFFICE11\STARTUP, but to no avail.
I did the same with all the .dot files from c:\documents and settings\name\application data\microsoft\word\startup and wrdstart but to no avail either.
When opening MsWord, the unwanted Trados.dot keeps reinstalling itself and causes continuous crashes which is quite annoying if you have to deliver a document a couple of hours later.
Does anybody knows a solution to this problem?

[Edited at 2005-08-04 20:25]

Direct link Reply with quote

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:12
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
How about Aug 4, 2005

searching? with the Start/search
and be sure to clic the "Show invisible folder" in More options! (or something like this)

Rgds

Toledo

Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:12
Italian to English
+ ...
Remove all files from anywhere in the computer Aug 5, 2005

I had a similar problem and in the end figured out that that word was finding and installing dot files from upgrade packages that I had downloaded from Trados and which were located in directories other than those you have listed. After completly eliminating those packages from the computer, I no longer had the problem.

Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Trados.dot posing as Normal.dot Aug 5, 2005

Williamson wrote:
Somehow the Normal.dot has been replaced by an old Trados5.dot. I have tried many ways of removing that Trados5.0 dot, but I just keeps installing itself automatically.

I'm not a real expert here, but it does seem this Trados.dot template behaves like a Normal.dot, that is usually created anew and automatically as you open Word if it has been deleted, renamed or moved.

Take a look in Tool > Templates and Add-ins: maybe the default Document template name is "Trados"? If so, try to change the name to Normal and see how it goes.

Just a hint, not a real solution
best luck

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:12
Flemish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados: as good as it gets. Aug 22, 2005

Trados: source of rate-discounts (they pushed the fuzzy system through the nose of translators), corrupt normal.dot files and their own corrupt Trados.dot, ....not exactly my favorite tool...

[Edited at 2005-08-22 14:18]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with Normal.dot

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs