Thread poster: Williamson
Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:00
Flemish to English
+ ...
Aug 7, 2005

After removing Office XP from my Pc and installing Office2003, Word2003 crashes time and again. Typ half a page and there it is... the crash. The restore function repairs the file, you type two sentences and again a crash. Quite annoying when you have to deliver a translation a couple of hours later.
At first, I thought it was the old Trados5.dot or the Normal.dot.
I removed the entire Office-package and installed it again. All old .dot files were removed also.
Hurraah, back to
... See more
After removing Office XP from my Pc and installing Office2003, Word2003 crashes time and again. Typ half a page and there it is... the crash. The restore function repairs the file, you type two sentences and again a crash. Quite annoying when you have to deliver a translation a couple of hours later.
At first, I thought it was the old Trados5.dot or the Normal.dot.
I removed the entire Office-package and installed it again. All old .dot files were removed also.
Hurraah, back to work. Ten minutes later, crash...
I've tried to deactivate all programs working in the background such a MsAntispan, NortonAntivirus... to no avail.
I've also tried to deactivate the backup feature. To no avail either.
What now? Reinstall MsOffice2003 again? Install the MsOfficeService Pack1..? Or simply go back to MsOffice XP (not entirely free of crashes either) or 2000?
The only other 2003 programme that crashes is Publisher2003.
Does anybody had similar experiences?
How did you remedy it?
Collapse

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:00
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Updates? Aug 7, 2005

Have you tried updating it (from MS site)?
I've had a similar problem from the moment when I installed the new Trados7 - spending some time deleting .dot files, trying to reinstall etc. Finally the updates from Ms repaired everything in under 30 mn, while I had spent hours trying to fix it with other methods.

Florence

[Edited at 2005-08-07 22:19]

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:00
Flemish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not quite Aug 10, 2005

It helps upto a certain point.
But whenever I introduce on font into piece of text with another font, crash...
Maybe because the backup feature is activated.
If not, I'll reinstall Word XP. Both Word XP and Office2003 were installed. Trouble started when I removed WordXP.

[Edited at 2005-08-16 15:00]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2003 Crash experiences

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »