Thread poster: Mihail Mateev
Mihail Mateev
Mihail Mateev
Bulgaria
Local time: 10:38
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Aug 8, 2005

Is there free software for translating a DLL file?

Thank you in advance for any responce!

Best regards,

Misho

Tsu Dho Nimh
Tsu Dho Nimh
Local time: 01:38
English
Are you the Programmer? Aug 8, 2005

misho wrote:

Misho

It's easiest to ask the programmers to give you this:
the "string table" from the .RC files

which is in plain text, than to try to pry a DLL apart. You translate the part of the string table that is the text and give it back to them to be used for a target-language DLL.

If they don't have a string table, they have embedded the source language directly in the code, and that's not a good way to do it for localization.

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:38
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Some information Aug 8, 2005

Hi misho,

Here is some information about .DLL files that I found at: http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=dll.

A .DLL file is a support file and is used by one or more programs. As an example, if several parts of a program need to perform the same action that action may be placed into a .DLL file (library) that the various program parts
... See more
Hi misho,

Here is some information about .DLL files that I found at: http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=dll.

A .DLL file is a support file and is used by one or more programs. As an example, if several parts of a program need to perform the same action that action may be placed into a .DLL file (library) that the various program parts can all use. This saves space and makes it easier when that particular routine needs to be updated. You should never have a need to "open" a .DLL file on its own; indeed, there really is no way to do so. Note: This file type can become infected and should be carefully scanned if someone sends you a file with this extension. If you want to look at the resources in a DLL library you can use a program like PE Resource Explorer but BE CAREFUL as messing with a DLL file can seriously damage Windows or programs if you do the wrong thing.

Please check the link for more information, or try a Google search with "DLL file extension". You should find useful information there.

I just wanted to post the above paragraph as a kind of warning, because working with .DLL files seems to be a risky business.

Good luck,
Stefanie
Collapse

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
T-Windows for Executables or Resource Editor Aug 8, 2005

misho wrote:

Thank you in advance for any responce!

Best regards,

Misho

If you have Trados you could use T-Windows for Executables to translate the resources in DLL files. Otherwise you could use a free resource editor such as http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/ to edit the resouces directly if you're familiar with resource files.

Olaf

[Edited at 2005-08-09 13:53]

Mihail Mateev
Mihail Mateev
Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your contribution Aug 9, 2005

I will consider the possibilities.

Kind regards,

Misho

Yuri Yuri
Yuri Yuri
English to Russian
+ ...
Resource Hacker is the most popular Aug 9, 2005

If you're looking for a freeware soft then the link Olaf has given will most likely suit you .

An alternative location to download is

http://www.download.com/3000-2352-10178588.html

" Resource Hacker
Resource Hacker is a freeware utility for viewing, modifying, renaming, adding, deleting, and extracting resources in 32-bit Windows executables a
... See more
If you're looking for a freeware soft then the link Olaf has given will most likely suit you .

An alternative location to download is

http://www.download.com/3000-2352-10178588.html

" Resource Hacker
Resource Hacker is a freeware utility for viewing, modifying, renaming, adding, deleting, and extracting resources in 32-bit Windows executables and resource files (RES). It incorporates an internal resource script compiler and decompiler "
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Here is how I translated DLLs before Aug 10, 2005

misho wrote:

This is how I translated (informally, not officially) the GUI for a well-known freeware graphics editor, which is DLL-based.

1. Open the DLL using Angus Johnson's Resource Hacker (freeware). Note that if the DLL had been compiled using certain types of compression, ResHack won't be able to read it.
http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/ (freeware)

2. Extract the text using Action -> Save all resources. Note that this action will save *all* resources including images, so extract into a subfolder to be sure.

3. Open the .RC file in your favourite text editor, and start translating. If you use a CAT tool, a losslessly roundtrip through it can save a lot of time. For example, I'd use Wordfast on MS Word, in which the code text is tw4winExternal'ed.

4. Once you're done, you have to compile a .RES file using a compiler. You'd be safest to use the same compiler that the programmer used, but this may cost you money. On the translation I did, for example, the programmer used some Microsoft compiler which I didn't have, so I compiled using Borland's commandline compiler instead. To compile, you must read the manual, guess at which tool is the probable one, and experiment!
http://www.borland.com/bcppbuilder/freecompiler/ (link no longer works, perhaps they stopped shipping that free version)

5. Now import that .RES file back into the DLL using Resource Hacker using Action -> Update all resources. In my case, I could update even if the .RES file contained only a fraction of the original .RC file's contents. You won't be able to update if the .RES file makes mention of resources not available (for example if you forgot to place the picture files in the same subfolder).

6. Now save the DLL using File -> Save as.

7. If you didn't use the same compiler or if there are some other incompatibility problems, the DLL either won't save or it won't work. You can test it by visiting all the data in the DLL (using Resource Hacker) and testing it using the relevant buttons. In my case, the Borland compiler didn't add certain lines which the Microsoft compiler would have, but then I simply opened a second instance of Resource Hacker and manually copied the missing lines back into the translated DLL.

Good luck!

But the above method is for informal work... if you work for a client, rather get the client to extract the .RC file for you, then do the translation, and then send him back the .RC file so that he can compile it himself. It's much safer that way.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Software for translation of DLL file

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »