How to convert PDF in word when you cannot select TEXT - Wordfast
Thread poster: andrealondon
andrealondon
andrealondon  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:07
German to Italian
+ ...
Sep 5, 2005

Does anybody know how to convert in word those PDF files where you cannot select the text or you cannot save as a txt file? It would be very useful if one uses Wordfast.
Thanks

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:07
English to German
+ ...
Moved the topic... Sep 5, 2005

...to Software applications.

PDF issues have been discussed in numerous threads; have you checked the article written by Natalia, a fellow ProZ.com moderator?

Best regards,
Ralf

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Scan it or get it typed Sep 6, 2005

andrealondon wrote:
Does anybody know how to convert in word those PDF files where you cannot select the text or you cannot save as a txt file? It would be very useful if one uses Wordfast.

Scan it and use OCR to convert it, or get a typist to type it out for you. Even if you have to pay the typist, you'll still make a profit if your rates are sufficient.

Arthur Allmendinger
Arthur Allmendinger  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Invalid Article Sep 6, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

PDF issues have been discussed in numerous threads; have you checked the article written by Natalia, a fellow ProZ.com moderator?

Best regards,
Ralf

I’ve just checked it:

Invalid Article
You have attempted to find either an article that does not exist, or an article you do not have permission to see.

Arthur Allmendinger
Arthur Allmendinger  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Try OCR Sep 6, 2005

andrealondon wrote:

Thanks

PDF-Files may include only graphic information. In this case you cannot select text in a PDF-File.

You can try OCR, but this works only with high quality graphic files.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Link to the article Sep 6, 2005

The article is here:
http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/128/

HTH,
Natalia

[Edited at 2005-09-06 13:02]

Cintia Pecellin
Cintia Pecellin  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
Adobe Illustrator Sep 6, 2005

Adbe Illustrator will let you copy, paste, replace or build castles with the words in your text if you want to. Simple.

Marina Oliveira
Marina Oliveira  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Also Adobe Acrobat Sep 7, 2005

PECELLIN wrote:

Adbe Illustrator will let you copy, paste, replace or build castles with the words in your text if you want to. Simple.

Well, Adobe Acrobat is not as versatile, but it will do as far as copy and paste text to a word doc.

Good luck!

andrealondon
andrealondon  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The problem is that in some pdf I can't select text. I think the best suggestion is trying OCR Sep 7, 2005

Marina Oliveira wrote:

PECELLIN wrote:

Well, Adobe Acrobat is not as versatile, but it will do as far as copy and paste text to a word doc.

Good luck!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-09-07 12:46]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-09-07 12:46]

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Latest version of OCR program Sep 10, 2005

I have just splashed out on Abbyy FineReader Professional 8.0, which has only been available for a week or two (at www.abbyy.com), as I have suddenly accumulated a few jobs in PDF format all at once (which are otherwise rare), including fairly low quality scanned images.
I previously worked with version 7.0, and my first impression is that version 8.0 does a far better job and gives far more flexibility (getti
... See more
I have just splashed out on Abbyy FineReader Professional 8.0, which has only been available for a week or two (at www.abbyy.com), as I have suddenly accumulated a few jobs in PDF format all at once (which are otherwise rare), including fairly low quality scanned images.
I previously worked with version 7.0, and my first impression is that version 8.0 does a far better job and gives far more flexibility (getting round some of the things that bugged me in version 7, and giving better recognition).
I haven't yet had time to explore all the settings, configurations and extra features (of which there are many).

No doubt the competition (OmniPage) will offer comparable features and performance (or perhaps already does so), but I haven't been following the progress there.
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
No need to physically scan the PDF! Sep 13, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Best regards,
Ralf

You have to distinguish between PDFS with text and image-type PDF (like yours).
Even with an image-type PDF, there's no need to physically scan the file, if it already resides on your computer!

There are several programs that perform OCR straight on the PDF. Abbyy PDF Transformer is one that I use almost every day.
Coming from the maker of FineReader, i still find that PDF Transformer handles single PDFs easier than FineReader, no messing around with the settings.

For batch jobs, it's a different story. I'm about to upgrade my FineReader 6.0 to 8.0 mentioned above. Maybe 8.0 is better, but 6.0 was a dog when it comes to batch functionality.

/Jan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to convert PDF in word when you cannot select TEXT - Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »