(solved) Norton Internet Security 2005 3-pack: Problems installing renewed subscription
Thread poster: Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:49
English to German
Sep 7, 2005

Hi,

I've used Norton Antivirus for Windows ever since I became self-employed in 1993 and in due course moved to Norton Internet Security.

Being an earlier adopter, I always upgraded to the next version as soon as it was released. This has the drawback that I've had to content with potential teething problems - and when I upgraded to NIS 2005 last October, I had more of them than I'd ever imagined. For the first time ever, I had to enlist a computer buff who earns his li
... See more
Hi,

I've used Norton Antivirus for Windows ever since I became self-employed in 1993 and in due course moved to Norton Internet Security.

Being an earlier adopter, I always upgraded to the next version as soon as it was released. This has the drawback that I've had to content with potential teething problems - and when I upgraded to NIS 2005 last October, I had more of them than I'd ever imagined. For the first time ever, I had to enlist a computer buff who earns his living solving people's computer problems.

So much for the background. Now my licence is about to expire and since I don't want to be in the same position as last year, I decided to renew the subscription for NIS 2005 rather than purchasing NIS 2006 next month.

When running LiveUpdate on my desktop computer yesterday, I was diverted to a screen from where I could access the renewal center and as I'm on holiday in October when the current subscription expires, I thought 'no time like the present' and proceeded to purchase the new 1-year subscription.

As I mentioned before, I purchased the 3-license software last year (and had to buy a new full-price software because there was no upgrade option from the previously available software that allowed installation on just one computer) and thought that if I ran LiveUpdate on the laptop, where the software is also installed, it would automatically connect to the Symantec Server, recognise that the subscription had been renewed and that would be it. Wrong. When running LiveUpdate on the laptop, I still get the screen suggesting I renew the subscription as it will expire in a month's time.

I tried to find an answer in the FAQs on the Symantec Renewal Center web site but no joy. Instead, I made another puzzling discovery. Even though, I installed NIS 2005 from the same CD on both the desktop and laptop computers, my customer ID on the desktop differs from that on the laptop. Now, I'm completely confused.

Can anyone out there shed some light into this? I know it's early days yet and I'm probably the first person in the world who's renewed their subscription for this product but I'm hoping someone will be able to help.

And please, don't suggest other products - I'm generally perfectly happy with NIS

TIA,

Rebekka

[Edited at 2005-09-07 15:08]
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 09:49
German
+ ...
Legality? Sep 7, 2005

Are you positive that your license agreement allows the installation of several copies of this software? The fact that each installation has an own customer number hints at the possibility that what you are trying to achieve is in fact illegal. You might have to purchase a second license for the laptop.

If you're sure what you're trying to do is legal, your best option would be to contact Symantec directly.

//edit: I just noticed the word "3-pack" in your topic
... See more
Are you positive that your license agreement allows the installation of several copies of this software? The fact that each installation has an own customer number hints at the possibility that what you are trying to achieve is in fact illegal. You might have to purchase a second license for the laptop.

If you're sure what you're trying to do is legal, your best option would be to contact Symantec directly.

//edit: I just noticed the word "3-pack" in your topic's title. Does that mean your license is valid for simultaneous installation on three PCs? If so, I strongly suggest you contact Symantec.

Benjamin

[Edited at 2005-09-07 10:15]
Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Slightly different scenario Sep 7, 2005

Hi

I once had the full version installed. Just before that expired, I decided to install AntiVirus only, as I was then covered by other means.

That's when the updates went funny and I started getting these error messages ('LU***') if I remember correctly?

What eventually worked was purging ALL Symantec/Norton stuff past and present from the computer, including using a registry cleaner tool (jv16).

Then the reinstall and updates worked.
<
... See more
Hi

I once had the full version installed. Just before that expired, I decided to install AntiVirus only, as I was then covered by other means.

That's when the updates went funny and I started getting these error messages ('LU***') if I remember correctly?

What eventually worked was purging ALL Symantec/Norton stuff past and present from the computer, including using a registry cleaner tool (jv16).

Then the reinstall and updates worked.

I can't comment on the PC/Laptop issue.

(I can suggest ringing every Symantec number you can find in the phone book, otherwise you will be talking to a machine. I once bullied their sales office here in Maidenhead into giving me a number that I could call and where I could speak to a human being.)

As per your request, I won't say what I'm using now

I hope this might help,

Regards
Chris
Collapse

Rebekka Groß (X)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
yes, there is a 3-user pack Sep 7, 2005

tectranslate wrote:

//edit: I just noticed the word "3-pack" in your topic's title. Does that mean your license is valid for simultaneous installation on three PCs? If so, I strongly suggest you contact Symantec.

Benjamin

[Edited at 2005-09-07 10:15]

Hi Benjamin,

if you go to the Symantic UK store on http://www.symantecstore.com/dr/sat/ec_Main.Entry?SP=10007&SID=27685&CID=0&DSP=0&CUR=826&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0 and click on the drop-down arrow in the Quick Product Search list, you'll see Internet Security 3-User Pack listed. So, yes, it's all legal. But I don't understand why there are 2 different customer IDs

I've send a message to the Norton Customer Service and hope they'll respond soon.

Regards,

Rebekka

Rebekka Groß (X)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Sep 7, 2005

Wonders never cease! I actually received a reply from Symantec Customer Service. When you have one of their products legally installed on more than one computer, you have to pay for a separate subscription on each. What a rip off! Perhaps I should consider another Antivirus and Internet Security software after all...

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Congratulations and commiserations Sep 7, 2005

Rebekka Gross wrote:

Wonders never cease! I actually received a reply from Symantec Customer Service.

I wonder whether that qualifies you for the Guinness Book of Records?

Time to trawl the web then, to see what others have to say about alternatives. Remember to look at the dates of the entries in the blogs etc.

You know, my present AV program took a quarter of the time to install than Norton did to uninstall!

Good luck and enjoy the simpler way.

Rgds
Chris

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

(solved) Norton Internet Security 2005 3-pack: Problems installing renewed subscription

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »