Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 03:46
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Sep 24, 2005

http://www.opera.com/free/

"Opera has removed the banners, found within our browser, and the licensing fee."

Uldis

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:46
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some nice new features Sep 24, 2005

There are some nice new features too. Eg. the "Fit to window width" will resize any page with a horizontal scroll bar to fit to the window width. It's not a straight zoom... for example, the Fit to window width option breaks up URLs in the display so that [email protected] is broken up as abc[newline]@proz.com, but the link still works, so it wraps the text better.

They've changed some of the keyboard shortcuts, though. Toggling graphic
... See more
There are some nice new features too. Eg. the "Fit to window width" will resize any page with a horizontal scroll bar to fit to the window width. It's not a straight zoom... for example, the Fit to window width option breaks up URLs in the display so that [email protected] is broken up as abc[newline]@proz.com, but the link still works, so it wraps the text better.

They've changed some of the keyboard shortcuts, though. Toggling graphics is now called toggling "images", so enabling images is "i", not "g" as in older Operas.

I can't work as a translator without Opera. It speeds things up tremendously. I'm sure every Opera user has their list of favourite things you can do better with Opera. And now Opera is completely freeware.
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 20:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
What is Opera? Sep 24, 2005

I saw on CNN Business news that Opera has gone freeware, but I have no idea what Opera is or why a translator needs it. Please fill me in!

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 03:46
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Opera is a browser Sep 24, 2005

I guess nowadays you cannot translate (or access ProZ ) without one. As to why Opera and not IE- there are many reasons, among them far less vulnerabilities in Opera than in IE (which have to be patched almost on daily bases), better interface of Opera, etc, etc.

Uldis

JaneTranslates wrote:

I saw on CNN Business news that Opera has gone freeware, but I have no idea what Opera is or why a translator needs it. Please fill me in!

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:46
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Is it better than Mozilla Firefox? Sep 25, 2005

And if so, in what way? I like Mozilla, but I find the Favorites list a bit unmanageable, and I don't like that I have to keep enlarging the font every time I open it.

Amy

Marina Meier
Marina Meier  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Opera Sep 25, 2005

The best thing about Opera is that it´s really fast.

Maru.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Firefox is good too Sep 25, 2005

but it is only a Browser.

Opera has a E-Mail client (M2) and a RSS Reader all in a user interface.

I think the best way to decide which is the best one for you is to use them 2 or 3 month.

my decision after several months trying both...

Well I still have both open why not!

Rgds

Toledo

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Opera is better (IMO) Sep 26, 2005

AmyD wrote:
Is it better than Mozilla Firefox? And if so, in what way?

Well, the beauty of Firefox is that it's open source and you're more likely to find an open source solution to a commonly occuring problem or pet peeve. But there is a sizeable Opera utilities community too, and they solve problems within the limits of the non-open sourceness of Opera. For example, some people write custom JavaScript scripts which can be "installed" in Opera, which can add all sorts of functionalities to Opera.

But Firefox is sloooooooooooow compared to Opera. Opera's tabbed browsing was AFAIK the first of the lot, and it's much better developed that the primitive tabbed browsing of Firefox and even the IE clones offering tabbed browsing.

Plus the user is more in control of how Opera works and he is more in control of his browsing experience, which means he can speed up his surfing if he adopts good habits.

If you have a very old computer, consider Opera 6, which runs nicely. Opera 6.06 runs as fast on my 32 MB RAM machine as Opera 8.5 runs on my 512 MB RAM machine, and even on the latter machine Opera is noticeably faster than Firefox. But Opera 6 might not log into some web sites because it is an old browser, after all.

However, recently Opera is aiming at a more general user base and perhaps less sophisticated market, which means that when you run Opera for the first time, you may want to disable many of the fancy toolbars and visual fluff.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opera 8.5 goes free

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »