Mobile menu

Off topic: Opera users: What does yours look like?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:04
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sep 26, 2005

Translators have different needs than ordinary users of a browser. A translator would therefore customise his browser in a different way.

This question is for Opera users... how did you customise yours? What does your Opera look like? Grab a screenshot (with at least one page open) and post the URL, or tell us about it.

Here's mine (Opera 6.06 on my slow office machine):
http://www.leuce.com/tempfile/operafluff.jpg (125 kb)

Direct link Reply with quote

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
by way of reply Sep 26, 2005

I wouldn't say that I'm a sophisticated Opera user, so these comments are in the 'my two cents' worth' category. All the cool IT types I know use Firefox, but if Opera is faste, at least that gives me a reason to be quietly smug.

I chose Opera a couple of years ago on the principle of 'anything but IE', and I've been happy with it ever since after overcoming the initial familiarisation. I essentially use it the way it came, except for any customisation I've done more or less accidentally.

What I value the most is the tabbing. I have Google set as the home page, and I typically open the Proz Kudoz (questions) page and Term Search pages in new pages so I can quickly tab between them. I also usually open URLs from Google searches in new pages, so I can just close them when I'm done or leave them open until they're no longer necessary, and I don't have to mess with backtracking through a sequence of opened pages to get back to where I came from.

That's about it.

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
For Google Sep 26, 2005

Kenneth Cox wrote:

... I have Google set as the home page...

That's about it.

You don't need to take this main place for Google, it works every time you type g and the word(s) you are searching into the URL bar.

Regards.

Toledo

[Edited at 2005-09-26 15:03]

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 08:04
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Not even that is needed Sep 26, 2005

there is Google searchbar right to the right of the addressbar.

Uldis

Toledo wrote:
You d'ont need to take this main place for Google, it works every time you type g and the word(s) you are searching into the URL bar.

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
I have delete it Sep 26, 2005

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

there is Google searchbar right to the right of the addressbar.

Uldis

Toledo wrote:
You don't need to take this main place for Google, it works every time you type g and the word(s) you are searching into the URL bar.

I like better a big URL bar, no need for a extra bar.

But if you want, you can configure this extra bar for, for example LEO (dic EN-DE) or Answer (www.answers.com) or, well each one need another things...

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 08:04
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
One more useful tip Sep 26, 2005

though not directly related to Opera:

http://www.cleverkeys.com

It's a free and very small program:

"CleverKeys is free software that provides instant access to definitions at Dictionary.com, synonyms at Thesaurus.com, facts at Reference.com and more — from almost all Windows or Mac OS programs, including word processors, Web browsers and most e-mail programs. With CleverKeys, the answers are just a click away."

You just mark the English word and after simultaneously press "Ctrl + L" (of course, you can change the hotkeys to your liking).You are instantly shown definition via your browser.

Uldis

Toledo wrote:
I like better a big URL bar, no need for a extra bar.

But if you want, you can configure this extra bar for, for example LEO (dic EN-DE) or Answer (www.answers.com) or, well each one need another things...

[Edited at 2005-09-26 21:24]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opera users: What does yours look like?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs