Acrobat Acrobat: Problems printing PDFs
Thread poster: jmadsen

jmadsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:47
Dec 2, 2005

Recently, I've had problems printing *some* PDFs (not all PDF files) from Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard. When I try, I just get an error message: "This document could not be printed". Well, thanks...

I, of course, contacted Adobe tech support, but basically they couldn't help me at all and virtually asked me to solve the problem myself. Thanks again...

Anyway, I tried printing from Acrobat Reader, but with the same result. And note that I can print *some*, and some not. Strange? Is it possible to block a PDF from being printed?

Any help is appreciated
Jørgen Madsen

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Jørgen Dec 2, 2005

Have you checked the security options of the documents that cannot be printed?

In Acrobat, go to Document > Security > Display restrictions and security and check if printing is allowed. Maybe the author of the document has chosen that printing should not be allowed?

TOPIC STARTER
Printing is, indeed, allowed Dec 2, 2005

Natalie wrote:

Have you checked the security options of the documents that cannot be printed?

Printing is allowed, so that's not it. Didn't think of this, though, so thanks for the suggestion

Jørgen

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 17:47
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
One more suggestion Dec 2, 2005

try to resave it with another name (advised option - using Reduce file size option from File menu). Usually saves various like problems for me- when the document is not protected and doesn't have security, but, none the less, wouldn't do what I want to. You have to have full Acrobat for that, though.

Jørgen Madsen wrote:
Printing is allowed, so that's not it. Didn't think of this, though, so thanks for the suggestion

TOPIC STARTER
Cannot use "Save as" nor "Reduce File Size" Dec 2, 2005

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

try to resave it with another name (advised option - using Reduce file size option from File menu). Usually saves various like problems for me- when the document is not protected and doesn't have security, but, none the less, wouldn't do what I want to. You have to have full Acrobat for that, though.

When I try Save as with another name, it says: "The document could not be saved. There was a problem reading this document (109)."

I also tried Reduce File Size, but then it says: "An error was encountered while saving the document."

Not exactly informative error messages, eh?

Thanks for trying, though
Jørgen

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 17:47
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Last suggestion Dec 2, 2005

Can't you print it to Acrobat, too? (I know it's already PDF, but they can be printed to PDF none the less). If not, nothing to do, but to ask your client for another file.

Uldis

Jørgen Madsen wrote:

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

When I try Save as with another name, it says: "The document could not be saved. There was a problem reading this document (109)."

I also tried Reduce File Size, but then it says: "An error was encountered while saving the document."

Not exactly informative error messages, eh?

Thanks for trying, though
Jørgen

TOPIC STARTER
Cannot do that either Dec 2, 2005

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

Can't you print it to Acrobat, too? (I know it's already PDF, but they can be printed to PDF none the less). If not, nothing to do, but to ask your client for another file.

Uldis

So I guess it's not possible. However, I was very surprised that Tech Support couldn't help me at all. Sometimes you get the impression that once they've sold something, their obligations end.

I did an Google search and found some references to problems with PDFs created in some programs and that the problem was due to an error in the creation process, so maybe that's it... Nothing I can do, but asking the client for another PDF.

Jørgen

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
- Dec 2, 2005

Jørgen Madsen wrote:
... Nothing I can do, but asking the client for another PDF.
Jørgen

Yes, it would be the best option, imho. But in case you would like to try anything more, please feel free to contact me through my profile and send me one of these 'problematic' files. I would also like to have a look at the problem.

Natalia

[Edited at 2005-12-02 11:26]

Cintia Pecellin  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
Distiller Dec 2, 2005

¿Have you tried Acrobat Distiller yet?

Han Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 22:47
English to Chinese
+ ...
Copyright Protection Dec 3, 2005

This problem is generally result from the author made a restriction to print,edit,copy,etc.
So you have to contact your client.But he maybe has no enough authorization,too.The PDF maybe made by another people.
The first thing you have to do is ask the author to remove the PDF password.

TOPIC STARTER
Problem finally solved! Mar 23, 2006

Today I contacted Adobe Helpdesk a second time, and guess what? This time they solved the problem just like that!

The problem was caused by an error in the printer driver (Brother) and could be solved by installing a patch, which took 30 seconds.

Here is a link to a description of the problem:
http://global.solutions.brother.com/Library/en_us/faq/faq000739_000/index.html

)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Acrobat Acrobat: Problems printing PDFs

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs