How to enlarge lines in Excel
Thread poster: Lise Berthiaume
Lise Berthiaume
Lise Berthiaume
Canada
Local time: 03:29
English to French
Dec 8, 2005

I have a text to translate in Excel unfortunately my text has 2 lines in French and it does not go on second line so I lose half of my text. How to get my text on two lines in the same cell?

Thank you,

Lise

Francis MARC
Francis MARC
Lithuania
Local time: 10:29
English to French
+ ...
use the tool bar Dec 8, 2005

Go to "Format" in the upper bar, then select "Cell", then "Alignment" and check the box for an automatic line return

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:29
English to Polish
+ ...
Not sure what are English names of these options, but Dec 8, 2005

Select a row clicking on its number on the left
Right-click it
Format cells
Alignment (SECOND TAB)
Wrap lines (first option under a divider)

I have Excel 2003

[Edited at 2005-12-08 16:24]

Lise Berthiaume
Lise Berthiaume
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you but... Dec 8, 2005

I do have Excel 2000 and I do not have your commands. I tried but I can not find the allow two lines or the other command.

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
alt+enter Dec 8, 2005

If you have two separate lines in the same Excel cell, with an "enter" between them, you can separate them using alt+enter (i.e. pressing "enter" while you hold down the "alt" key).

Regards,
Enrique

Dr. Janos Annus (X)
Dr. Janos Annus (X)  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Select the cells Dec 8, 2005

Select the cell, then Format, Cells, in the pop up window at the bottom: check Wrap Text
Or select the Row, Format, Row, Autofit
I guess this works.

Lise Berthiaume
Lise Berthiaume
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 8, 2005

I tried every things that you told me but if I do alt + enter I can write the text but the following line disapears. Could it be lock?

Thank you

Bogdan Burghelea
Bogdan Burghelea  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 10:29
English to German
+ ...
Solution Dec 8, 2005

Lise Berthiaume wrote:

I have a text to translate in Excel unfortunately my text has 2 lines in French and it does not go on second line so I lose half of my text. How to get my text on two lines in the same cell?

Thank you,

Lise

Select your cells or all of them (Ctrl/Strg+A).
Go to Format (on the Menu Bar), from there select the first option Cells (or press Ctrl+1) and in the window that opens select the tab called Alignment.
There you have a tickbox which reads Wrap text. Select it, and, voila! you have it.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
auto format Dec 8, 2005

find this all versions of excel have this in a form or the other. Brandis

Lise Berthiaume
Lise Berthiaume
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 8, 2005

I tried wrap text but it did not solve my problem. Somebody else has an idea? I think that the form is locked to fit one page of the report. So the only thing that I see is to try to reduce my text. But you know that it is not easy. How to translate busy with an other word which counts 4 letters?

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
How about lengthening your column? Dec 8, 2005

Can you make your translation column longer?

This could make life easier for you if 'wrap text' doesn't work for some reason.

'Remove page break' could also be an option (I'm not sure about the English version of this).

If you can find at the bottom of the page a punctured line, you should place your cursor in the cell immediately below this line, go to 'Insert' and chose 'remove page break'.

[Edited at 2005-12-08 20:11]

[Edited
... See more
Can you make your translation column longer?

This could make life easier for you if 'wrap text' doesn't work for some reason.

'Remove page break' could also be an option (I'm not sure about the English version of this).

If you can find at the bottom of the page a punctured line, you should place your cursor in the cell immediately below this line, go to 'Insert' and chose 'remove page break'.

[Edited at 2005-12-08 20:11]

[Edited at 2005-12-08 20:16]
Collapse

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Format Menu Dec 8, 2005

Lise Berthiaume wrote:

I do have Excel 2000 and I do not have your commands. I tried but I can not find the allow two lines or the other command.

Even in 2000, you should have a Format menu in the menu bar. This menu has a Cells... item. It brings up a dialog box, which should have an Alignment tab, which should be the second one from the left. Click Wrap Text. Do all of this AFTER selecting the column into which you are translating, so that you don't have to do it over and over.

Lise Berthiaume
Lise Berthiaume
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you to everybody Dec 8, 2005

But I think that the form has been locked to keep it on a page instead of two pages. But beleive me I will keep all the informations that you gave me for other translations. I am not use to work with Excel and I think that I will be able to use your answers soon.

Thank you again for your help.

Lise

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Drag Dec 9, 2005

Hi Lise,

Also, you can change the size of the line or column by putting the cursor between two lines or columns so the cursor changes to a line with 2 arrows. Then drag the line or column to the width you want.

Lise Berthiaume
Lise Berthiaume
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jo Dec 9, 2005

The first thing that I did it is try to drag it did not work.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to enlarge lines in Excel

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »