Mobile menu

Looking for screen capture utility with super powers
Thread poster: talbieh
English to Spanish
Jan 18, 2006

What I'm looking for is this. I start my "imaginary" program that contains the capability I want. It is now in a state of recording. I go to Microsoft Word in Spanish. I take a bunch of screen shots. It records my actions, as well as saving the screen shots. I stop recording. I open Microsoft Word in Italian. I hit play in my program. Based on the paths followed in the Spanish version, it automatically goes to the proper screens and captures the same screen shots in Italian without me having to do anything put press Play.

I know I'm dreaming, but does anything like that exist?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:38
Member (2004)
English to Polish
I don't think it is possible... Jan 18, 2006

...but you can come pretty close. I cannot give you specific software titles, I just describe the general procedure.

- First, start a screen capture application which can be triggered with key shortcut and which can output sequenced graphic files

- Prepare the program you want to capture (i.e. Spanish Word).

- Then start a macro recorder which records keyboard and/or mouse inputs

- Perform the tasks you want to accomplish - for example, open a file in Word - and press the key shortcut to save the screen. Repeat the procedure.

- Stop the recorder.

- Reset numbering and change path for the files in the screen capture program.

- Prepare the other Word so its state is the same as the Spanish Word in the beginning of the recording.

- Run the recorded input - it should trigger both the Word functions and the screen capture utility. The capture files will have the same numbers as in Spanish version.

Of course, there is no guarantee that it will work... First problem is that recording keyboard input (which is usually more reliable in macros) might not work, as the shortcuts will be different in the different language versions of Word. Recording mouse input usually is more problematic.

Another problem is that the state of Word may be a little bit different during the playback, so it will not respond correctly. However, if you have the recording, you may always try to repeat it in correct conditions.

Local time: 16:38
English to German
+ ...
I wouldn´t say anything different either Jan 18, 2006

than Jabberwock. It is a known procedure, as long as you master one of such tools that can embed your recordings and give back neutrally. Word is not built for this kind of work. I would suggest Flash or the similar represents a better approach. Save your captures in two different folders and join them via flash over a button. Take two instead from lang. into and backwards or the similar. That should work. Brandis

[Edited at 2006-01-18 19:15]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for screen capture utility with super powers

Advanced search

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs