Thread poster: Franka72
Franka72
Franka72  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:45
Serbo-Croat to Croatian
+ ...
Mar 7, 2006

Hi everbody,

I got a text from a client in Adobe Reader with a lot of pictures.

I converted it in Word file (copy/paste)and the text is ok, but of course, the symbols and pictures are not copied.
What to do?

Can I convert translated text in Word again in Adobe reader and How?

Edward Vreeburg
Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Convert PDF to Word Mar 7, 2006

Hi,

I'm sure there is an adobe e-mail address you can send your PDF to and receive a Word file.

but I can't find it....

other suggestions:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=212318

Ed
Translate.ED

Veronika Hansova
Veronika Hansova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
ABBYY FineReader 7.0 Mar 7, 2006

There is a specialized software on "cracking" the PDF file. It converts both the text and the pictures. Nevertheless you still have to re-adjust the format at the end.
Or simply contact the client and ask him for better version that would be editable. I am always a bit mad when I receive the PDF file for translation since the PDF was originally designed as non-editable file. This makes our work even more complicated :-/
And another idea: if you feel like spending more time on it and
... See more
There is a specialized software on "cracking" the PDF file. It converts both the text and the pictures. Nevertheless you still have to re-adjust the format at the end.
Or simply contact the client and ask him for better version that would be editable. I am always a bit mad when I receive the PDF file for translation since the PDF was originally designed as non-editable file. This makes our work even more complicated :-/
And another idea: if you feel like spending more time on it and you cannot convert the pics to the Word, translate and retype the text and than use the "photo-icon" to copy and paste the pics. Very lengthy but infallible.
Collapse

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
a trial version of Abbyy's PDF transformer Mar 7, 2006

MARTINOVIC wrote:

Try downloading a trial version of Abbyy's PDF transformer at http://www.abbyy.com/pdftransformer/. You'd be able to convert abt. 15 pages in total, in 3 pages' sequences. (3,3,3,3,etc) You will preserve format and images, with a bit of incongruences, but they are unavoidable.

You might consider using Plustools that go with Wordfast CAT, and convert the PDF file text correctly, without the line--breaks which become paragraphs when you do a manual copy-paste from Adobe to Word.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
Abby 8.0 is generally good Mar 7, 2006

Dragomir Kovačević wrote:

MARTINOVIC wrote:

Try downloading a trial version of Abbyy's PDF transformer at http://www.abbyy.com/pdftransformer/. You'd be able to convert abt. 15 pages in total, in 3 pages' sequences. (3,3,3,3,etc) You will preserve format and images, with a bit of incongruences, but they are unavoidable.

You might consider using Plustools that go with Wordfast CAT, and convert the PDF file text correctly, without the line--breaks which become paragraphs when you do a manual copy-paste from Adobe to Word.
if you don´t have many complicated diagrams with text embedded. I would otherwise suggest, given a scanner, take a print scan to word and use a higher dpi resoution. Lately I had a complicated issue, there were IC diagrams with many small printed text blocks, Abby or the pdf transformer weren´t able to give me more than 300 dpi to catch the small print. So I had to rethink and charge the client extra money to get all the content this way. Scan to word is currently the best solution, and there is no better way to process .pdf files. My customer was arguing that his translators always get .pdf file and they give a MS-.doc file. So I had to wisen him a little bit that there is not a single damn CAT tool that processes .pdf files and I must charge here to do a full job. He had to agree.
Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating PDF file

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »