Looking for OCR software that can recognise German
Thread poster: Joanne Parker

Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:49
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Apr 2, 2006

Pretty much what the title says really. I have a large PDF document that I need to translate and would prefer to use Trados as there's lots of repetition.

Can anyone recommend a program (preferably freeware but I know that's a long shot) that can create a Word document out of a PDF that is also pretty accurate with German characters?

Direct link Reply with quote
United States
Local time: 02:49
English to German
+ ...
ABBYY FineReader Apr 2, 2006

Try ABBYY FineReader 8.0 Professional Edition:

You can download the trial and German as an additional recognition language here:

Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:49
English to Swedish
+ ...
ABBYY FineReader Apr 2, 2006

Just read in 118 German pages without a single fault!

María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Saving the PDF as a *.doc or *.rtf file Apr 2, 2006

Have you tried saving the PDF as a Word document?

If the PDF was created from a Word file, chances are it can probably be "reversed" again...

I do it all the time when I need to translate from a PDF. I go to File > Save as, and save the file as a Word document (*.doc) or a Rich Text Format document (*.rtf).

Although it's a bit cumbersome if the file contains extensive formatting, images, tables, etc. You can see this thread for more info on formatting:

Of course, I don't know how well it would go with German characters, as I only work with Spanish and English But I figure if you use a German version of Word, then it would be optimized for that (?).

Hope that helps!

P.S.: Sorry, I've just realized that you work FROM German, so probably your Word version is in English! *blush*

[Edited at 2006-04-02 16:56]

Alexander Chisholm  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:49
Italian to English
+ ...
Omnipage pro 12/14 onwards Apr 3, 2006

I use Omnipage to do exactly what you are trying to do (in my case in Italian though).

The OCR software itself can be set to recognise your source language (all the major EU languages are included by default), and you can even "teach" it to learn any characters that are proving difficult.

Following the advice of the others and then exporting to word/rtf is a good idea, but if your special characters have not been recognised in the first place then you'll still have a few problems.

For example, before I knew I could set this option, I often had problems with the Italian "è" for "is" being read as "e" - "and". This then meant that some sentences which had been translated previously were not recognosed by Trados.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for OCR software that can recognise German

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs