Thread poster: Terejimenez
Terejimenez
Terejimenez  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Apr 14, 2006

I moved many files to different folders and now I can't open the files in GDS. I have searched in the Internet and have found several very difficult solutions for me which include changing some registries.
Does anybody know an easy way to reindex GDS ? Thanks a lot for your kindness

Tere

Richard Hall
Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:46
Italian to English
+ ...
Trash the old index and re-index.... Apr 14, 2006

... is what I do. The index is normally in program files/Google/Google desktop search.

Alternatively, Google recommends:

"You can re-index by uninstalling and reinstalling Google Desktop. Here's how:

1. Go to "Start" > "Programs" > "Google Desktop" > "Uninstall Google Desktop."
2. You'll see a "Do you really want to remove Google Desktop from your computer?" dialog box.
3. If you want to add new material without losing your previous inde
... See more
... is what I do. The index is normally in program files/Google/Google desktop search.

2. You'll see a "Do you really want to remove Google Desktop from your computer?" dialog box.
3. If you want to add new material without losing your previous index, make sure the box next to "Keep my index" is checked. If you want to entirely replace your previous index, un-check the box.
4. Reinstall Google Desktop from http://desktop.google.com "

[Edited at 2006-04-14 12:58]
Collapse

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:46
German to English
+ ...
Here is the "official" way. Apr 14, 2006

Teresa Jiménez wrote:
Tere

When I saw your post I thought surely that must be an operation that GDS already has - it's such an obvious requirement. I don't use GDS myself, but here is an answer to that question from the "newsgroup" google desktop from last August.

Go to Add/Remove Panels, then click the link in the bottom left "get
more panels". This will take you to a page with all sorts of plugins
and tools for GDS.

Under Indexing there is one called "Tweak GDS" that will let you
manually reindex, among other things.

Oliver

Terejimenez
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thanks for your help Apr 14, 2006

Richard Hall wrote:

3. If you want to add new material without losing your previous index, make sure the box next to "Keep my index" is checked. If you want to entirely replace your previous index, un-check the box.
4. Reinstall Google Desktop from http://desktop.google.com "

[Edited at 2006-04-14 12:58]

Dear Richard,
Thank you very much for your help. I uninstalled and installed GDS. GDS performed a new indexing but it did not solve my problem. There are still many files which I cannot open because they were moved some time this year.
Best Regards,
Tere

Terejimenez
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Could you please explain me in more detail ? Apr 14, 2006

Oliver Walter wrote:

Teresa Jiménez wrote:
Tere

When I saw your post I thought surely that must be an operation that GDS already has - it's such an obvious requirement. I don't use GDS myself, but here is an answer to that question from the "newsgroup" google desktop from last August.

and tools for GDS.

Oliver

Terejimenez
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
I need more help Apr 14, 2006

Teresa Jiménez wrote:

Oliver Walter wrote:

Teresa Jiménez wrote:
Tere

and tools for GDS.

Oliver

Dear Oliver,

Thanks a lot for your help. Could you please tell me where do I find the Add/Remove Panels option ?

Thanks,

Tere

Terejimenez
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
I found the Add/Remove Panel Apr 14, 2006

Dear Oliver,

I found the Add/Remove Panel, downloaded the tweak zip file and when I clicked to open the tweak file, I got a warning "This file has a potentially unsafe file type of .msi . You should not open this file if you received it from an untrusted source" I am petrified because I have thousands of files in my PC. What shall I do ?

Thanks for your time and patience

Tere

Richard Hall
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Remove and re-install option Apr 15, 2006

It sounds as if you may have inadvertently kept your old index. When you uninstall Google Desktop, a dialogue box appears asking if you really want to remove the program. There is a check box, which by default is checked, that says something like: maintain my index in case I decide to re-install google desktop search later. You should make sure that you un-check the box, otherwise you will still have your old index and the references to the files that no longer exist.

Terejimenez
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thanks for your help. I keep having trouble with GDS Apr 15, 2006

Richard Hall wrote:

It sounds as if you may have inadvertently kept your old index. When you uninstall Google Desktop, a dialogue box appears asking if you really want to remove the program. There is a check box, which by default is checked, that says something like: maintain my index in case I decide to re-install google desktop search later. You should make sure that you un-check the box, otherwise you will still have your old index and the references to the files that no longer exist.

Dear Richard

I uninstalled and installed GDS again un-checking the box and started indexing again. GDS performed a new indexing and now the problem is worst. I get the error " Query Error 80004005" and GDS does not show me any files at all.

Thanks for any advise

Tere

Richard Hall
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Does it need time? Apr 15, 2006

I've never seen that error message. But after re-installing, it will need a few hours to re-index. I just did it myself today and everything was fine. The re-indexing took about 3 hours. Are you working with the newest version?

It sounds like there could be some other problem.

I wish I could be of more help.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:46
German to English
+ ...
It's probably safe Apr 16, 2006

Teresa Jiménez wrote:
Dear Oliver,
I found the Add/Remove Panel, downloaded the tweak zip file and when I clicked to open the tweak file, I got a warning "This file has a potentially unsafe file type of .msi . You should not open this file if you received it from an untrusted source" I am petrified because I have thousands of files in my PC. What shall I do ?
Thanks for your time and patience
Tere

That warning means that it is possible to write virus software and supply it in .msi files. The program that gave you the warning (was it Winzip, or the browser?) knows that fact, but knows nothing else about your particular example of a .msi file.
Yours presumably came from a safe source (the same source as GDS itself). You could increase your confidence in it like this:
Open the Zip file.
Don't open the .msi file directly by double-clicking it - instead, "extract" it into a disk file (this is safe; extracting a file doesn't execute it).
Then find the disk file with Windows Explorer (don't double-click the file) and ask your virus scanner (assuming that you have one) to check it.
In my case I right-click on the file name (in Windows Explorer) and the pop-up menu includes the virus-scan option. I have recently used this method to confirm my strong suspicion that email attachments contained viruses. In all the cases I tried, they contained Netsky.Q, which was detected by my virus checker, and my PC was not infected as I deleted the files (and the emails that brought them) without executing them.
You may have un-installed, re-installed and re-indexed GDS by now; it's probably safe to use the downloaded tweak file next time you need to update the index.
The warning about .msi means in practice that you should, for example, not use a .msi file that was sent to you "as a good deed" or a "sample" or a "free gift" by somebody completely unknown.
Here is a recent forum posting of mine about one way of sending viruses:
http://www.proz.com/post/300294
Oliver

[Edited at 2006-04-16 17:07]

[Edited at 2006-04-16 17:09]

Terejimenez
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thanks a lot to Richard and Oliver Apr 17, 2006

Dear Colleagues

I got it ... I got it ! I finally re-indexed my files with your help.

Thanks a lot for your valuable help on .msi files and the way to determine if files have virus before executing them.

Hope I can be of any help to you in a near future.

Tere

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to reindex Google Desktop ?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »