https://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/48475-can_i_scroll_two_tiled_pdfs_simultaneously_in_acrobat_5.html

Can I scroll two tiled pdfs simultaneously in Acrobat 5?
Thread poster: Alvin Liu
Alvin Liu
Alvin Liu  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 13:30
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
May 30, 2006

I am doing proofreading and have to scroll the source and target documents at the same time. Does Acrobat 5 itself have this feature, or do I need some other applications?

Thanks a lot.

[Edited at 2006-05-30 09:37]

tarpo (X)
tarpo (X)
English to Dutch
Your question is interesting May 30, 2006

I have right now several big Powerpoint files to proofread against the original. I don't want to print them (they have several hundres of pages each, with images, tables, etc.), so I check them on the screen. For the first one, I opened the two files at the same time (this is possible in Powerpoint), but for the next ones I copied the originals on an old computer and read on two screens, the left screen for the original and the right screen for the translated text. This is so comfortable that I ... See more
I have right now several big Powerpoint files to proofread against the original. I don't want to print them (they have several hundres of pages each, with images, tables, etc.), so I check them on the screen. For the first one, I opened the two files at the same time (this is possible in Powerpoint), but for the next ones I copied the originals on an old computer and read on two screens, the left screen for the original and the right screen for the translated text. This is so comfortable that I decided to do so the next time I have Acrobat PDF files to proofread.
And, of course, you cannot make mistakes (i.e. modify in the wrong text).

[Edited at 2006-05-30 07:40]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:30
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Try TwoScroll May 30, 2006

Alvin Liu wrote:
I am doing proofreading and have to scroll the source and target documents at the same time. Does Acrobat 5 itself have this feature, or do I need some other applications?

I would have thought that there must be several freeware programs that does this for you, but I was unable to find any. So I wrote a quick-and-dirty AutoHotKey script for it. It's called TwoScroll, and you can download it here:

http://www.leuce.com/tempfile/TwoScroll_src.zip
http://www.leuce.com/tempfile/TwoScroll.exe

It works for two independent windows... I don't know how to make it work for tabbed windows inside one single window.

The script aint perfect, and I'm working on the glitches, but it is useful as it is (for proofreading text, for example).

Let me know what you think.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:30
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
New version of TwoScroll Jun 29, 2006

Samuel Murray wrote:
The script aint perfect, and I'm working on the glitches, but it is useful as it is (for proofreading text, for example).

http://www.leuce.com/tempfile/TwoScroll_02.zip (200 kb)

New version of TwoScroll. What's new:
* Now it doesn't respond until you let go of the up/down key, so it prevents you from thinking that you can just hold the key to scroll quickly.
* Now it scrolls 5 lines instead of 1 at a time.
* Since some programs change the window title when there are unsaved changes, you can now specify two window titles for each file in TwoScroll.
* Separate readme.txt with tips on how to customise the script, if you're not very computer literate.

I'd love to hear if anyone is using this script (even if you've tried it and found it wanting, I'd like to know why).

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 08:30
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Will it work also for Acrobat 3D? Jun 29, 2006

Hi Samuel,

I ask because the option seems very welcome, but my computer is overcrowded already, therefore I'm reluctant to install anything just to try it out (after uninstalling some @#$% are left behind none the less and I'm not advanced enough to remove that manually from the Windows register).

Uldis

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 01:30
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Diff Doc might work Aug 2, 2006

I once tried out this program called Diff Doc. It put two different files into one split window. It does a lot more than just scroll. Has anyone used it?

Reed

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I scroll two tiled pdfs simultaneously in Acrobat 5?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »