MS Glossaries: Format changes?
Thread poster: Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 18, 2006

Please, repost it to the proper forum if I didn't choose the right one.

I work with software quite often and MS glossaries are quite the standard for programs that run under Windows. So even if I do not translate specific MS products, I use their glossaries a lot.

I usually download a fresh copy of the glossaries every 4 or 5 months to keep up with the updates. And I keep the old copies in case I want to have a walk on memory lane.

Back in March I downloade
... See more
Please, repost it to the proper forum if I didn't choose the right one.

I work with software quite often and MS glossaries are quite the standard for programs that run under Windows. So even if I do not translate specific MS products, I use their glossaries a lot.

I usually download a fresh copy of the glossaries every 4 or 5 months to keep up with the updates. And I keep the old copies in case I want to have a walk on memory lane.

Back in March I downloaded a copy of the glossary. And tonight I was doing some maintenance and decided to download a new copy. It took roughly 30 minutes to download (I guess the middle of the night is not so bad for doing these things).

I unzipped it and tried it with MSG Browser, and it didn't work. I installed ApSIC Xbench and created a project, selecting MS glossary files. It simply rejected all files saying that it was not MS glossary format. Using my copy from March, I was able to create a project including all files. I am using the Spanish glossary, by the way.

Has anybody encountered this problem? Is my download corrupted or have they changed something in the format of the MS glossary files?

Just puzzled, I guess. Thank you for your help!

P.
www.pbayle.com/blogs-english

[Edited at 2006-07-18 04:22]
Collapse

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Same experience Jul 18, 2006

ApSIC Xbench doesn't seem to work with the last version of the English - Romanian glossary (but it works fine with a previous one).

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 18, 2006

ApSIC Xbench doesn't seem to work with the last version of the English - Romanian glossary (but it works fine with a previous one).

Thank you, Mihai. I guess I'll continue working with the copy I downloaded back in March and let's keep our fingers crossed they will reverse whatever formatting it was done. I know now that it was not a problem of corruption of the download. In the meantime, maybe the guys at ApSIC will tweak a little bit so that the program will recognize the changes in the files.

Thank you!

P.

Ivaylo Ivanov
Ivaylo Ivanov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
New Microsoft's glossaries Jul 19, 2006

Dear Pilar,

Here is some info:

"To provide users with more up-to-date terminology, Microsoft has replaced the glossary content that was previously posted to the Microsoft ftp site with a more concise document (CSV format) that is easier to use.

"This new CSV file contains over 14,000 English terms plus the translations of the terms for up to 45 different languages. Microsoft provides the Microsoft terminology data to allow their customers, ISVs, and partner
... See more
Dear Pilar,

Here is some info:

"To provide users with more up-to-date terminology, Microsoft has replaced the glossary content that was previously posted to the Microsoft ftp site with a more concise document (CSV format) that is easier to use.

"This new CSV file contains over 14,000 English terms plus the translations of the terms for up to 45 different languages. Microsoft provides the Microsoft terminology data to allow their customers, ISVs, and partners to have a more consistent user experience across the products they are using and developing."

For more information, please visit:
www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/MILSGlossary.mspx
Collapse

pep
pep
English to Spanish
Try with ApSIC Xbench build 142 Jul 27, 2006

I unzipped it and tried it with MSG Browser, and it didn't work. I installed ApSIC Xbench and created a project, selecting MS glossary files. It simply rejected all files saying that it was not MS glossary format. Using my copy from March, I was able to create a project including all files. I am using the Spanish glossary, by the way.

Has anybody encountered this problem? Is my download corrupted or have they changed something in the format of the MS glossary files?

Try with the development build of ApSIC Xbench (build 142 or greater) at http://www.apsic.com/en/downloads.aspx (This is a direct link, this page is not found in the website).

[Edited at 2006-07-27 14:22]

Mónica Machado
Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:47
English to Portuguese
+ ...
New file? All cut short... Aug 3, 2006

Hello,

This new file is a fake. The previous versions contain over 300,000 entries and now this file has only 14,000.

Can't see the point of such a change really...

All the best
Mónica

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe... Aug 3, 2006

This new file is a fake. The previous versions contain over 300,000 entries and now this file has only 14,000.

They may have stopped repeating themselves silly, like they used to. Why do I want 400 samples of "display" if they always translate is as "pantalla" in Spanish.

But this is my devil's advocate's desire, of course

P.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Glossaries: Format changes?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »