Word count software independent from MS Office?
Thread poster: Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:25
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Sep 20, 2006

Hi,
Anybody knows a word counting software which will NOT require MS Office to be installed on the same computer? I checked several popular softwares, but they all require VBA. Any hints or workarounds welcome!

Magda

[Edited at 2006-09-20 19:12]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Try Metapad Sep 20, 2006

Magda Dziadosz wrote:
Anybody knows a word counting software which will NOT require MS Office to be installed on the same computer?

Open the file in Metapad, replace tabs with spaces, remove all double spaces, add a single space at the end of each paragraph, and then count the spaces by replacing all spaces with some other character (it'll tell you the number of replacements made).

Also, I'm sure that OpenOffice's word counting feature does not require the presence of MS Office.

Magda Dziadosz
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hmm... Sep 20, 2006

Hi Samuel,
It doesn't exactly solve my problem, I probably was not clear enough.

Yes, OO word count is good, however, I don't know if it counts words in Impress - do you know where is it?

With OO only I have to open each file and in the case of large projects with many files in different formats it becomes a problem. That's why I was wondering if there is a software which could count - words, characters, lines (as different clients use different calculations metho
... See more
Hi Samuel,
It doesn't exactly solve my problem, I probably was not clear enough.

Yes, OO word count is good, however, I don't know if it counts words in Impress - do you know where is it?

With OO only I have to open each file and in the case of large projects with many files in different formats it becomes a problem. That's why I was wondering if there is a software which could count - words, characters, lines (as different clients use different calculations methods, sigh...) and generate a list, so I don't have to make notes manually.

The Metapad thing would not work with Impress/ppt file, I guess?

Magda
Collapse

Francesco Amormino (X)
Francesco Amormino (X)  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
Try PractiCount Sep 20, 2006

Hi Magda,

I use PractiCount and I am very statisfied with it. You can download a 15 days trial version at http://www.practiline.com/download.htm

Here you can have a look at the features:
http://www.practiline.com/features.htm

HTH

Ciao,
Fr
... See more
Hi Magda,

I use PractiCount and I am very statisfied with it. You can download a 15 days trial version at http://www.practiline.com/download.htm

Here you can have a look at the features:
http://www.practiline.com/features.htm

HTH

Ciao,
Francesco
Collapse

Magda Dziadosz
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It also requires MSOffice Sep 20, 2006

Hi Francesco,

Unfortunately, PractCount's system requirements are:

- MS Office 97, 2000, XP, 2003 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).

Same goes for AnyCount, FineCount, T3000.

And I'm looking for OOCount

Magda

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Translator's Abacus Sep 21, 2006

Magda Dziadosz wrote:

Hi,
Anybody knows a word counting software which will NOT require MS Office to be installed on the same computer? I checked several popular softwares, but they all require VBA. Any hints or workarounds welcome!

Magda

[Edited at 2006-09-20 19:12]

You can try Translator's Abacus. It is a FREE word count program developed by GlobalRendering (version 3.10).

http://www.globalrendering.com/download.html

Files: HTML, PDF, DOC, RTF, TXT.

The program also provides translation quotes for the most common languages (from EN using the rates of GlobalRendering).

Milan
www.condak.net

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Try OmegaT Sep 21, 2006

Since you have OOo installed, you might try OmegaT. To use OmegaT, you need to have Java installed. The latest version of OmegaT (being 1.6 RC12a) gives extensive statistics for multiple files in a single project.

You'll find the statistics in the file project_stats.txt in the /omegat/ subfolder of your OmegaT project that contains all your source files. Simply create a new, blank project in OmegaT, copy all your source files to the /source/ subfolder of the project folder, and "
... See more
Since you have OOo installed, you might try OmegaT. To use OmegaT, you need to have Java installed. The latest version of OmegaT (being 1.6 RC12a) gives extensive statistics for multiple files in a single project.

You'll find the statistics in the file project_stats.txt in the /omegat/ subfolder of your OmegaT project that contains all your source files. Simply create a new, blank project in OmegaT, copy all your source files to the /source/ subfolder of the project folder, and "reload" the project in OmegaT.

OmegaT gives stats for the project as a whole as well as stats for each file, in tabbed format (so you can open the stats file in a spreadsheet). This includes the number of characters (including and excluding spaces), number of words, and number of segments. There is also an indication of repeated segments.

Note that OmegaT's definition of a "word" may be slightly different from MS Word's definition of a "word".

[Edited at 2006-09-21 07:12]
Collapse

Magda Dziadosz
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! It works beautifully! Sep 22, 2006

Samuel Murray wrote:

You'll find the statistics in the file project_stats.txt in the /omegat/ subfolder of your OmegaT project that contains all your source files. Simply create a new, blank project in OmegaT, copy all your source files to the /source/ subfolder of the project folder, and "reload" the project in OmegaT.

OmegaT gives stats for the project as a whole as well as stats for each file, in tabbed format (so you can open the stats file in a spreadsheet). This includes the number of characters (including and excluding spaces), number of words, and number of segments. There is also an indication of repeated segments.

Thanks, Samuel.
It's exactly what I was looking for and it worked very well.
I'm very new to OmegaT and haven't discovered yet all what it does. The stats file, though, gives all information needed and for all files of a big project at once - really useful.
I counted .ppt presentation files with lots of text boxes and weird formating and the final count seems reasonably right.

And to Milan:
Thanks for the link - I'm downloading the soft and will check it too.

Best and thanks again,
Magda

[Edited at 2006-09-22 11:09]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word count software independent from MS Office?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »