Mobile menu

Explorer AND Netscape failed suddenly today
Thread poster: Daniel Bird

Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:51
German to English
Sep 26, 2006

All of a sudden today I can't use either Explorer or Netscape.
Immediately on opening either program I get the "dialogue"
"Explorer/Netscape has encountered an error and will shut down ...etc..."

Is there some recent virus out there causing browsers to act up; they're both utterly useless for me at the moment. I'm using an ISP's own browser software to write this but I need the other two back and usable.

Any ideas please - it's so frustrating when this happens and suddenly programs fail to work with no warning. It's unsettling because both the browsers have packed up with similar "symptoms".

Thanks in advance to all of you
Dan

Direct link Reply with quote

bmann
Local time: 01:51
English
try Firefox Sep 26, 2006

1. Run virus scan and adware scans.

2. You could try Mozilla Firefox http://www.mozilla.org/products/

3. Try reinstalling the browsers you have.

4. If you are a little computer savvy, try this program for removing junk that affects your browser.
http://www.download.com/HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10379544.html

Good luck!

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 09:51
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
However Sep 26, 2006

please note that the mentioned below is shareware, in demo version it will correct just first 20 errors (probably from many hundreds).

Uldis

bmann wrote:

4. If you are a little computer savvy, try this program for removing junk that affects your browser.
http://www.download.com/HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10379544.html

Terry Richards
France
Local time: 08:51
French to English
+ ...
Probably not but easy to check Sep 27, 2006

When things start getting squrly on Windows systems (particularly if it all happens at once), it never hurts to check that the C: drive isn't full.

María Eugenia Wachtendorff  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 02:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Windows XP Updates Sep 27, 2006

After several bad experiences (e.g. Trados crashes), I stopped using automatic Windows Updates.

THEN my browser started failing. Therefore, whenever this happens I check Microsoft's site for updates or security patches, and I download IE-related ones.

This has worked fine for me. Hope it helps!

Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:51
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all... Sep 28, 2006

...I shall indeed be sending a hijackthis log to some well-versed people shortly - last time I did this, there were a number of unwelcome items that had crept into the system. If you have the same problem check out TomCoyote.org who helped me put things right in the past.

My most recent virus scan took forever and seemed to be repeatedly looking at the same lot of hidden "Temporary Internet Files". I swept out a good many of these after using "Show hidden files" in "Tools...Folder options...View"
Incidentally these temporary files included .html files, many of them 100kB or more recording searches I had carried out in ProZ/Kudoz Websearch and eurodicautom. Why on earth does all this junk get written to my hard drive?

No wonder the drive needed a sweep out.

I now have some semblance of the previous setup to work with.
If anyone can confirm my apparent experience of a virus scan repeatedly scanning the same files over and over it would be interesting to hear.

Thanks once again - I am investigating Firefox/Mozilla just because, as with so many other MS products we are virtually forced to work with, IE frankly gets up my nose.

Regards
DB

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Explorer AND Netscape failed suddenly today

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs