Global font replace in Pagemaker 7 (Mac)
Thread poster: Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:02
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Oct 26, 2006

Hello
I have a big project for Pagemaker on Mac. The documents use variuos Helveticas, but I need them replaced by their CE pendants.
The translation process is as follows:
The original Mac PM 6.5 documents were all stored as PM 7 on Mac, then opened on a PC in PM 7, exported with Trados story collector, then translated. In the output txt file I replaced the font names by the corresponding CE font names. But it works only for text without format. All styles remain wiith their p
... See more
Hello
I have a big project for Pagemaker on Mac. The documents use variuos Helveticas, but I need them replaced by their CE pendants.
The translation process is as follows:
The original Mac PM 6.5 documents were all stored as PM 7 on Mac, then opened on a PC in PM 7, exported with Trados story collector, then translated. In the output txt file I replaced the font names by the corresponding CE font names. But it works only for text without format. All styles remain wiith their previous settings, so I have to change them manually.
There is an option to import formats, but I'm not sure, if all customer formats are the same and do not want to spoil the document.

Is there any possibility to replace the fonts without having to change each style manually?

Thank you for all ideas

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Angeliki Papadopoulou
Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 19:02
English to Greek
+ ...
What about making a copy document Oct 26, 2006

... and see if you can import the formatting?

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you - this is certainly a good idea Oct 26, 2006

Now this still means I will have to control all formats manually, as there is no guarantee, that all formats have the same name and that all documents use the same formats. I have 40 documents this time - and I´m looking for the solution of this problem since longer.

Regards
Jerzy

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Another solution Oct 27, 2006

I worked on Pagemaker some years ago. The software comes with a lot of fonts, which are rarely compatible to the ones we use, especially on PC. There were two sets of fonts, screen fonts and print fonts. The solution was to change the printer (not physically). Indicate the same printer as the client uses. If you don't know, choose a postscript printer. Everything will then be displayed in the right screen fonts, but you cannot print (maybe you don't mind).

For me the problem was so
... See more
I worked on Pagemaker some years ago. The software comes with a lot of fonts, which are rarely compatible to the ones we use, especially on PC. There were two sets of fonts, screen fonts and print fonts. The solution was to change the printer (not physically). Indicate the same printer as the client uses. If you don't know, choose a postscript printer. Everything will then be displayed in the right screen fonts, but you cannot print (maybe you don't mind).

For me the problem was so big that I gave up Pagemaker. I was supposed to render a printed file, on paper, and I couldn't. The client (a Government agency...) didn't want to give me his fonts and I couldn't buy them all, they were very expensive. But if your client asks only for translation, you can work on the screen.

Btw Helvetica corresponds to Arial, but not entirely, there are some slight differences.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you - but my problem is quite different Oct 28, 2006

I have a post-script printer and the driver selected is a post script driver.
I also have all fonts used - only the files come with 55 Helvetica Roman, 65 Helvetica Medium and 75 Heövetica Bold, and I have to use Helvetica CE 55 Roman / CE 65 Medium and CE 75 Bold.
The document is formatted using styles - and there are some 20 of them. What I want is to avoid manual adapting these styles for each document indiivually.

In the meantime I tried to copy the formats between
... See more
I have a post-script printer and the driver selected is a post script driver.
I also have all fonts used - only the files come with 55 Helvetica Roman, 65 Helvetica Medium and 75 Heövetica Bold, and I have to use Helvetica CE 55 Roman / CE 65 Medium and CE 75 Bold.
The document is formatted using styles - and there are some 20 of them. What I want is to avoid manual adapting these styles for each document indiivually.

In the meantime I tried to copy the formats between the documents and it seems to be a good solution, but what I look for is a solution similar to Font Mapper for Framemaker, where you can replace fonts globally and in a batch.

Thank you
Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Global font replace in Pagemaker 7 (Mac)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »