Thread poster: Abdul Katawazai
Abdul Katawazai
Abdul Katawazai
Canada
Local time: 18:47
English to Dari
+ ...
Oct 30, 2006

I am currently using PC computer but thinking of buying a Mac one. Some one told me that sometimes it is hard to open Mac files on PC.
So if I send my client a file from Mac and if he is using PC then it will create problems.

Any suggestions

Thanks

Teresa Bento
Teresa Bento  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:47
English to Portuguese
+ ...
PC or Mac? That is the question Oct 30, 2006

Hi Mohammad,

Unfortunately I don't have an answer to your question, but I am also interested in the differences between a PC and a Mac, as far as translation tools are concerned. I would really like to know which one is the most functional equipment to work with, as a translator.

Hector Aires
Hector Aires  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
To Mac or not to Mac Oct 30, 2006

Dear Mohammad,
All my equipment, 3 PCs and a Mac OS 8.9, was stolen some three months ago (fortunately nobody was injured and all memories were backuped) so thieves gave me the "opportunity" to renew the complete hardware except the Mac. I really do not miss it as most DTPs I work with are compatible with both systems.
In fact you will not have any difference with software such as Quark, Innd, etc. and if your customer has a Mac he will be able to open PC edited files over his Mac. <
... See more
Dear Mohammad,
All my equipment, 3 PCs and a Mac OS 8.9, was stolen some three months ago (fortunately nobody was injured and all memories were backuped) so thieves gave me the "opportunity" to renew the complete hardware except the Mac. I really do not miss it as most DTPs I work with are compatible with both systems.
In fact you will not have any difference with software such as Quark, Innd, etc. and if your customer has a Mac he will be able to open PC edited files over his Mac.
The main problem I have found between Mac and PC were the native fonts Mac uses. Usually the customer sends you the font files to edit the files to be translated but, if he has a Mac, you will not be able to use such fonts files on a PC. However, you can buy the Adobe font folio which has opentype (OTF) fonts, then you can use DTP software with your PC over files edited in Mac.
All in all, I know there are software other than the most popular which are not compatible. That's not my case.
Hope this help.
El Étor
Collapse

Hector Aires
Hector Aires  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
CAT tools, to Mac or no to Mac Oct 30, 2006

Hector Aires wrote:

Dear Mohammad,
In fact you will not have any difference with software such as Quark, Innd, etc. and if your customer has a Mac he will be able to open PC edited files over his Mac.
The main problem I have found between Mac and PC were the native fonts Mac uses. Usually the customer sends you the font files to edit the files to be translated but, if he has a Mac, you will not be able to use such fonts files on a PC. However, you can buy the Adobe font folio which has opentype (OTF) fonts, then you can use DTP software with your PC over files edited in Mac.
All in all, I know there are software other than the most popular which are not compatible. That's not my case.
Hope this helps.
El Étor

I think there are Trados versions for Mac, cannot remember

Abdul Katawazai
Abdul Katawazai
Canada
Local time: 18:47
English to Dari
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 31, 2006

Dear Hector,

Thanks alot for the reply,

It is sad to hear that your equipment were stolen.
It looks like I should stick with PC.

Mohammad Khan

Angeliki Papadopoulou
Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 03:47
English to Greek
+ ...
No... no Trados currently for Mac Oct 31, 2006

Hi there!

I am a Mac user and I have had minimal problem with the exchange of files over the two platforms. The most significant is indeed that of native fonts - Greek, see? - Although to be fair, Office 2004 has taken care of the everyday ones. Times New Roman and Arial work fine. Otherwise it's a problem.

Unfortunately there is currently no version of Trados available for the Mac; I know, I looked, because I love my Mac. Wordfast, on the other hand, works like a drea
... See more
Hi there!

I am a Mac user and I have had minimal problem with the exchange of files over the two platforms. The most significant is indeed that of native fonts - Greek, see? - Although to be fair, Office 2004 has taken care of the everyday ones. Times New Roman and Arial work fine. Otherwise it's a problem.

Unfortunately there is currently no version of Trados available for the Mac; I know, I looked, because I love my Mac. Wordfast, on the other hand, works like a dream.
Collapse

László Kovács
László Kovács  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:47
Member (2006)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
XP runs on new Macs Oct 31, 2006

If you fell in love with Macintosh, I definitely recommend buying one.
Recently, I have purchased a Mac Mini because I like this system very much. Unfortunately, no common TM software runs on Mac OS, and you should buy a separate (new) MS Office license, but new Intel-based Macs fully support Wndows XP.

So my solution was making a dual-boot system (Apple provides an easy-to-use wizard for this), and used Windows XP with my usual TM systems on Mac hardware. I experienced no pro
... See more
If you fell in love with Macintosh, I definitely recommend buying one.
Recently, I have purchased a Mac Mini because I like this system very much. Unfortunately, no common TM software runs on Mac OS, and you should buy a separate (new) MS Office license, but new Intel-based Macs fully support Wndows XP.

So my solution was making a dual-boot system (Apple provides an easy-to-use wizard for this), and used Windows XP with my usual TM systems on Mac hardware. I experienced no problems with this configuration, Windows, MS Office, Trados, Transit and Deja Vu did run the same way as on an ordinary PC.

And when I needed a Macintosh, I just started MacOS instead of Windows, and I could enjoy the benefits of friendly user interface
So, if you cannot completely move to Mac, but you can have the two systems in one.
Collapse

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:47
English to Polish
Linux works on Mac too Oct 31, 2006

Following László's suggestion - there are Linux distributions, which may be installed on Mac. With Open Office and Linux CATs, you can have this one too - and it's in most cases free, so no additional costs required.

I use Linux and have no problems with exchanging files with Windows clients.

Anni

[Edited at 2006-10-31 09:11]

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Current Macs run whatever you want Oct 31, 2006

As already suggested, compatability isn't an issue for current Macs. I have a Windows desktop, a Windows laptop and a Mac laptop, and there are zero problems passing files between them. (The only compatability issue that I can think of is that I can't sync my iPod with both Windows and Mac machines, something about the formatting of the iPod hard drive).

In terms of software, that too represents zero issues nowadays. You have two options, both of which work flawlessly, namely:
... See more
As already suggested, compatability isn't an issue for current Macs. I have a Windows desktop, a Windows laptop and a Mac laptop, and there are zero problems passing files between them. (The only compatability issue that I can think of is that I can't sync my iPod with both Windows and Mac machines, something about the formatting of the iPod hard drive).

In terms of software, that too represents zero issues nowadays. You have two options, both of which work flawlessly, namely:

1) The BootCamp solution, where you select which OS to boot up when turning on the machine. If you select Windows XP (or the Vista beta, for that matter), it's as if you're running a Windows machine, and a quick one at that. Only downside: it can only run one OS at a time, so if you want to use the Mac OS, you need to reboot

2) The Parallels solution, which is Mac-based software (40 euros or so, I think) that lets you run a virtual Windows (or Linux, for that matter) machine. For all intents and purposes, when you make it full screen, it's like your running a Windows machine. The biggest plus is that it runs within the Mac OS, so you can flip between Mac and Windows easy as pie. And it is quick; I run my slingbox streaming television using Parallels, and it runs faster on the virtual-Windows-2000-within-the-Mac-OS than on my 1 1/2 year old Windows PC. The only downside: it consumes a good deal of memory, so make sure you have lots of RAM (which I do).

I personally tried out both options and found that while BootCamp lets the machine run slightly faster, the difference is negligable for office applications, including TRADOS. If I were still a gamer (three kids ago), then I'd probably have stuck with that option. But since I don't need that kind of unusally high performance, I just use parallels and it works outstandingly. Well, there is one other issue--when you're running parallels, the computer really does think that you're running a Windows PC, so you'll either need an external Windows keyboard or you'll have to train yourself which Mac-only keys on the keyboard actually correspond to Alt and Control for a Windows machine.

HTH,

Steven
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
CAT tools for Mac Oct 31, 2006

László Kovács wrote:
Unfortunately, no common TM software runs on Mac OS, and you should buy a separate (new) MS Office license, but new Intel-based Macs fully support Wndows XP.

Hi,

There are CAT tools that run natively on Mac OSX without requiring a license of MS Office, like Heartsome and OmegaT.

If you purchase a license of MS Office 2004, you can use Wordfast on a Mac.

With OpenOffice 2.0 and NeoOffice (a very nice port of OpenOffice 2.0 to Mac OSX) you don't really need MS Office 2004.

Best regards,
Rodolfo

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Forgot about Wordfast Oct 31, 2006

I forgot about Wordfast, which is silly since I use it as my primary CAT. Wordfast runs natively on the Mac if you're running MS Office. It won't work with OpenOffice, unfortunately.

That said I find that Wordfast is less comfortable on the Mac than on the PC--something about the way it interacts with Word for Mac is not ideal. Then again, I have an older version of Office for Mac, the flaws may be fixed in the more recent release.

Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Bull's iris! Oct 31, 2006

Steven Sidore wrote:

2) The Parallels solution, which is Mac-based software (40 euros or so, I think) that lets you run a virtual Windows (or Linux, for that matter) machine. For all intents and purposes, when you make it full screen, it's like your running a Windows machine. The biggest plus is that it runs within the Mac OS, so you can flip between Mac and Windows easy as pie. And it is quick; I run my slingbox streaming television using Parallels, and it runs faster on the virtual-Windows-2000-within-the-Mac-OS than on my 1 1/2 year old Windows PC. The only downside: it consumes a good deal of memory, so make sure you have lots of RAM (which I do).

Steven

Far out, Steve, danke so much schön for the info, you've just made my Macs even perfect-er, just like that. Didn't believe it was possible...
Wow
Paul

Ps: Oops, I'll have to wait a bit longer though. Latest models required, Intel chip a must, of course... Bull's down for now

[Edited at 2006-10-31 16:26]

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Tools for old Macs Nov 1, 2006

Argonauta wrote:
Ps: Oops, I'll have to wait a bit longer though. Latest models required, Intel chip a must, of course... Bull's down for now

Hi,

No need to wait. You can run Wordfast, Heartsome and OmegaT in your old Mac now. All three run natively on Macs with PowerPC processors.

Regards,
Rodolfo

László Kovács
László Kovács  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Thanks for NeoOffice tip Nov 3, 2006

With OpenOffice 2.0 and NeoOffice (a very nice port of OpenOffice 2.0 to Mac OSX) you don't really need MS Office 2004.

Best regards,
Rodolfo

Thanks for this tip, I was considering an MS Office 2004 purchase! This will save me a lot of money

Douchka Lecot
Douchka Lecot  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wordfast doesn't work with Office 2004 for Mac on my computer Jan 22, 2007

Angeliki Papadopoulou wrote:

Hi there!

Unfortunately there is currently no version of Trados available for the Mac; I know, I looked, because I love my Mac. Wordfast, on the other hand, works like a dream.

Trying to find a CAT tool to use on Mac with Microsoft Office 2004, and I just read your comment. As far as I read, and after trying it, Wordfast is not working on my new Mac Mini, with Microsoft office 2004. According to the articles I've read on the Internet this is due to the fact that Microsoft Office for Mac has removed the VBA on which Wordfast and Trados are based... Are you able to use Wordfast with Microsoft Office 2004!? How do you make the template to load?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mac

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »