Thread poster: Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:53
English to Dutch
+ ...
Nov 4, 2006

I use Skype and Skype out for phone calls. In the Skype newsletter I found a reference to this wireless Internet access sharing initiative.
http://en.fon.com/

I think it is a very good idea, as I noticed last week in the centre of Amsterdam that I had access to several wireless networks of neighbours who just had not made secure their wireless network ...
See more
I use Skype and Skype out for phone calls. In the Skype newsletter I found a reference to this wireless Internet access sharing initiative.
http://en.fon.com/

I think it is a very good idea, as I noticed last week in the centre of Amsterdam that I had access to several wireless networks of neighbours who just had not made secure their wireless network .

This is wat it says on the web page:

FON is the largest WiFi community in the world. Our members share their wireless Internet access at home and, in return, enjoy free WiFi wherever they find another Fonero’s Access Point.

It all started as a simple idea. Why should you pay for Internet access on the go when you have already paid for it at home? Exactly, you shouldn’t. So we decided to help create a community of people who get more out of their connection through sharing.

We call members of the FON Community Foneros. It’s simple to become a Fonero. You just need to buy La Fonera, which enables you to securely and fairly share your home broadband connection with other Foneros.
http://en.fon.com/info/whats_fon.php

I wondered if any colleagues are using it?
And I forgot to add my most important concern: is it secure? Supposedly the external access is separate from your own network.

I am not sure this is the correct forum, as this has to do with software and the Internet (VoIP). Please feel free to move this to the right place...

Anjo

[Edited at 2006-11-04 14:37]
Collapse

Natalia Zudaire
Natalia Zudaire  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:53
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I want to... Nov 4, 2006

be a "fonera", but I cannot get hold of one of these routers. They have been having problems inporting them to Argentina.

I think it is a great idea, and it has built-in security measures. You can even handle the bandwith you want to share.

Natalia.

[Edited at 2006-11-04 18:36]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:53
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
New to me Nov 5, 2006

As it happened this morning's newpaper had a small story about this Fon.
I just wonder who would benefit if I would join this community. In the 5-story appartement house I live in there are already at least three open Wlan-broadband connections (including mine). So if you happen to use our elevator please feel free to connect!
I haven't got around to put a password to my wireless modem, and I wonder what's the use of it.
When travelling you can use Wlan-networks in most cities
... See more
As it happened this morning's newpaper had a small story about this Fon.
I just wonder who would benefit if I would join this community. In the 5-story appartement house I live in there are already at least three open Wlan-broadband connections (including mine). So if you happen to use our elevator please feel free to connect!
I haven't got around to put a password to my wireless modem, and I wonder what's the use of it.
When travelling you can use Wlan-networks in most cities on the run, but I don't carry my computer with me.
Eventually there will be Wlan-mobile phones, only then it makes sense to me.
Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Frits Ens
Frits Ens
Netherlands
Local time: 16:53
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
New Fonero Dec 30, 2006

I recently installed a fon router (fonero) at home and at my office, so you can now find me on www.maps.fon.com in Harderwijk, The Netherlands.

It is an interesting development, since now the new mobile phones are wifi-ready (e.g. E-Ten 500x).

And it is a cheap way to get wireless internet at home.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any "foneros" about?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »