Andrea Re
Andrea Re  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:38
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 12, 2006

Hi there,

I just got a pop up window saying that AVG free 7.1 will be discontinued on Jan 15th and that the new 7.5 version is available. I had a look at their site and find myself feeling a bit concerned: from the description it seems that this new (free) product is crap (they would say that I suppose). Anyway, I was wondering if someone more knowledgeable than me could possibly reassure me.

Cheers,

Andrea

Giuseppe C.
Giuseppe C.  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:38
English to Italian
Why do you think this? Nov 12, 2006

Andrea Re wrote:

Hi there,

I just got a pop up window saying that AVG free 7.1 will be discontinued on Jan 15th and that the new 7.5 version is available. I had a look at their site and find myself feeling a bit concerned: from the description it seems that this new (free) product is crap (they would say that I suppose). Anyway, I was wondering if someone more knowledgeable than me could possibly reassure me.

Cheers,

Andrea

Hi Andrea,

I have already upgraded my AVG free edition to the 7.5 version. It looks like the usual 7.1 version.

Moreover, this is what Grisoft says about the new freeware version on their own website:

New in AVG 7.5

* Improved virus detection based on better heuristics and NTFS data streams scanning
* Smaller installation and update files
* Improved user interface
* Windows Vista ready
* and more

* Easy to install and use
* Real-time antivirus protection of files and e-mails
* Maximum security — recent certifications include VB100%, ICSA, and West Coast Labs Checkmark
* Regular and automatic database and program updates
* Windows and Linux
* And most of all ... great customer satisfaction!

I would say it is even better than the 7.1 freeware version.

Of course, al usually, you can't expect the full version's added functions, but there is nothing less than before in this new freeware version.

I am experiencing the same regular updates, testing speed and functionality.

Andrea Re
Andrea Re  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good to hear Nov 12, 2006

Thanks gc,

as I said in the pop up windows they were saying how good the new 7.5 version is (the one you have to buy, I mean), while the free one doen't have this, that and the next thing. Probably it has the same characteristics as the old 7.1 version and that I simply never read carefully the small print. It is just that after the blasted yahoo mail (see my other message) I feel paranoid.

Thanks for your reassuring comments.

Andrea

Galina F
Galina F
United States
Local time: 10:38
English to Russian
+ ...
No problems for now Nov 12, 2006

I also upgraded my free AVG version to the 7.5 and didn't have any troubles.

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
they want your money.... Nov 12, 2006

the people who make AVG have a bit of a problem - their free anti-virus software is very good, and lots of people have heard about it and download it. I imagine that not many people have bought the paying software, and they are trying to persuade you that you need to buy the paid version...

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not crap Nov 13, 2006

Andrea Re wrote:
Anyway, I was wondering if someone more knowledgeable than me could possibly reassure me.

Their version 7.5 has a smaller, neater GUI. Other changes? Not that I'm aware of.

mrr2ro
mrr2ro
United States
Local time: 09:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
use ClamAV Nov 13, 2006

AVGE Free is basically a sales pitch tool -- "Look what the free version does, imagine if you had the Full version". _ it is a commercial world.

I use ClamAV, - ClamWin http://www.clamwin.com/
is open source, truly free anti virus, no sales pitch, no pup-ops, no hassles.

ClamWin unlike any other AntiVirus (commercial or free) has a very small foot print, and it IS NOT a resource h
... See more
AVGE Free is basically a sales pitch tool -- "Look what the free version does, imagine if you had the Full version". _ it is a commercial world.

I use ClamAV, - ClamWin http://www.clamwin.com/
is open source, truly free anti virus, no sales pitch, no pup-ops, no hassles.

ClamWin unlike any other AntiVirus (commercial or free) has a very small foot print, and it IS NOT a resource hungry application. It does not make your machine crawl to a halt like Norton/Symantech and McAfee, and it is a very effective utility.

I like the fact I can choose when and where to scan items, rather than the constant scanning which takes resources, taking enormous amountsof memory and processor time, slowing down the machine.

If I suspect any file, folder, e-mail attachment, I simply place them on a folder, right click on the item and select to scan it.

If you send/receive large files through Outlook, I will recommend that during the installation of ClamWin choose NOT to integrate it with outlook.

Best of luck!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
AVG isn't crippleware Nov 13, 2006

mrr2ro wrote:

Yes, but so what? It is useful as it is -- it is not crippled in any way that matters.

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Agree with Samuel Nov 13, 2006

AVG Free is very good - possibly too good, which is why the developers are trying to 'push' the paid version. It is not resource hungry, updates daily, and I have never caught anything while using it and neither has anyone on whose computer I have installed AVG free.

I'm sure ClamWin could be very good but it is not even at v.1 stage yet, and I'm quite happy with what I have.

mrr2ro
mrr2ro
United States
Local time: 09:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
Stating the obvious Nov 13, 2006

Angela Dickson wrote:
I'm sure ClamWin could be very good but it is not even at v.1 stage yet, and I'm quite happy with what I have.

Please keep in mind all I have done is give an alternate choice to a free AV. AVG could be the most wonderful AV in the planet, I am not disputing it \, I am not saying is bad or good, nor I am saying it is a bad utility. I am simply giving the original poster an alternative to AVG because that is the request.

I am stating that I find ClamWin less obtrusive, more efficient and I trust and support the open source community.

The fact that it is under version 1 it does not make it a lesser utility. Some Microsoft products are in version 12 and still very crappy.

The open source comnmunity have millions of eye balls looking and upgrading the source code. Microsoft, symantech, AVG, and all commercial anti virus companies put together could have the amount of scrutiny. fine tuning, and man hours that could compare to open source code has.

Thereforee IMOHO ClamWIn is far superior utility.

NO matter how small of a foot print an AV utility has, it cannot compare to the ON-Demand utility. and that is what ClamWin is, it is NOT constantly scanning your system and you use it when you want it, or set it to scan anything when you want it.

Last Note:
Not obtaining a virus is not solely to the credit of an AV utility, it is mostly safe computing practices. One safer computing practice is not to double click and open and copy everything and anything you get via physical media or though the network without scanning it first. I can do that manually, I do not need a resource HOG to do it for me.

Once again -- In My Own Humble Opinion -IMOHO

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

AVG free 7.5

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »