Could you recommend any Photoshop courses/tutorials?
Thread poster: Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 01:35
English to Chinese
+ ...
Nov 17, 2006

Good morning/afternoon/evening,

I've just bought Adobe Photoshop CS2 and I'm trying to find a really good online course or a good downloadable tutorial that will take me from a beginner using the software right through to all that the program has to offer.

I've searched the forums here and there are plenty to choose from by searching Google but I'd really like to hear from people who also started out as a beginner and who could recommend any materials they found useful
... See more
Good morning/afternoon/evening,

I've just bought Adobe Photoshop CS2 and I'm trying to find a really good online course or a good downloadable tutorial that will take me from a beginner using the software right through to all that the program has to offer.

I've searched the forums here and there are plenty to choose from by searching Google but I'd really like to hear from people who also started out as a beginner and who could recommend any materials they found useful.

Ideally I'd like some kind of online course where you don't just read through reams and reams of information about what each function does but where you are taken through the functions with tasks to complete so you can learn by putting it into practice straight away.

Thanks in advance and best wishes,
Mark
Collapse

Tomasz Ratajczak
Tomasz Ratajczak  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:35
Polish to Swedish
+ ...
Total training Nov 17, 2006

Maybe not oline or downloadable but video tutorials by www.totaltraining.com has been very valuable for me. They're not free but then you get almost more than you can take

Solfrid Lokslid
Solfrid Lokslid  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:35
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Photoshop Nov 17, 2006

Adobe Photoshop is a very "deep" program. In Photoshop, there are so many ways to do the same kind of effect/result you want. Unless you have prior knowledge with what a mask is and what an alpha channel can do, you're easily going to feel overwhelmed by the terminology and the capacity of this program.

I first learnt Photoshop in a college setting, and I was later amazed to see what professionals can do with the program. Photoshop, in my opinion, is best learnt when you have a pre
... See more
Adobe Photoshop is a very "deep" program. In Photoshop, there are so many ways to do the same kind of effect/result you want. Unless you have prior knowledge with what a mask is and what an alpha channel can do, you're easily going to feel overwhelmed by the terminology and the capacity of this program.

I first learnt Photoshop in a college setting, and I was later amazed to see what professionals can do with the program. Photoshop, in my opinion, is best learnt when you have a precise mission in mind. Example: when you want to knock out the background of an image, you need to learn how to mask off the part you want to keep. When you want to color correct a certain area of the image, again you'll need to know how to mask off the area you want to keep the same.

My first book on Photoshop was one of the "Adobe Photoshop Classroom in a Book" versions. That was OK to teach me some basic tools and functions. But it's not until you seriously try to do something to your own digital images, that you'll truly understand the concept and power of this amazing program. Start with whatever book/online tutorial you end up choosing, and then experiment with your own images. After I had accumulated serious experience with Photoshop, I bought the Photoshop Bible, and really liked it. But I was only using it as a resource, not actually trying to learn the software.

I hope this was helpful. I am not trying to scare you off Photoshop. It's a wonderful program, and once you get it, you're hooked forever.
Collapse

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I've found one I like... Nov 17, 2006

Thanks Tomasz, I had previously looked at the Total Training DVDs and although I'm sure they are really good, I was a bit put off by the price.

Solfrid Lokslid wrote:
Adobe Photoshop is a very "deep" program.

Yes, I see what you mean:) I found this link: http://apex.vtc.com/photoshop-cs2.php and looked at their free online videos which just cover an introduction to a few of the functions and that was overwhelming in itself! I think I'm going to stick with them for now as it just costs USD 30.00 per month for a 10 hour course which you can do at your own pace and covers a lot, plus they have other courses I can do once I'm finished this one so it seems like a good deal. I like the style of the videos and they are easy to follow too so I can watch a bit, pause it, try out what I've learned on my own version and so on.

Thanks for your advice and you didn't scare me off:) I'm really looking forward to getting to grips with it, for working on my own photos and for using it in business.

Mark

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
CNET Online Courses might help Nov 17, 2006

Hi Mark,

CNET provides online courses on a variety of computer-related subjects and I remember one was dedicated to Photoshop about 6 months ago. I believe you can find its documents in the website.

Good luck!

Özden

Lars Jelking
Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 18:35
English to Swedish
+ ...
Start with the manual. Nov 17, 2006

Having worked with Photoshop for many years and looked at various tutorials and courses I still find the help-file being the most useful. Fully searchable with links embedded in the text for online use. Though, I recommend you to print it out as you'll be jumping back and forth between pages, and at least I have a tendency to forget the connection to "the other page". It's included with the software package in PDF format as a separate file.

Eye through the manual to get a grip on ho
... See more
Having worked with Photoshop for many years and looked at various tutorials and courses I still find the help-file being the most useful. Fully searchable with links embedded in the text for online use. Though, I recommend you to print it out as you'll be jumping back and forth between pages, and at least I have a tendency to forget the connection to "the other page". It's included with the software package in PDF format as a separate file.

Eye through the manual to get a grip on how it's organized. If you're new PS start with the small projects in the beginning. Soon enough you'll want to do more and dig into the complicated stuff.

It's difficult application to learn not to mention master. But you will quickly learn the functions you need and work with most. The rest is there to do more. And more. An more .....

Good luck!
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
this link was interesting Nov 17, 2006

Chinese Concept wrote:

Thanks Tomasz, I had previously looked at the Total Training DVDs and although I'm sure they are really good, I was a bit put off by the price.

Solfrid Lokslid wrote:
Adobe Photoshop is a very "deep" program.

Yes, I see what you mean:) I found this link: http://apex.vtc.com/photoshop-cs2.php and looked at their free online videos which just cover an introduction to a few of the functions and that was overwhelming in itself! I think I'm going to stick with them for now as it just costs USD 30.00 per month for a 10 hour course which you can do at your own pace and covers a lot, plus they have other courses I can do once I'm finished this one so it seems like a good deal. I like the style of the videos and they are easy to follow too so I can watch a bit, pause it, try out what I've learned on my own version and so on.

Thanks for your advice and you didn't scare me off:) I'm really looking forward to getting to grips with it, for working on my own photos and for using it in business.

Mark
@ chinese concept, I have about 10 DVDs about photoshop training and they were certainly not cheap. But if you have working experience with the initial basic versions of Photoshop 5.0 and the stuff much of this extra stuff, that costs a lot of money, should be fairly easy. Well, normally adobe also offers a concept known also as " class room in a book" which is embedded in the program. Entry course into caligraphy (chinese ??) could be a very good enlightening solution. Best Brandis

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all your tips Nov 18, 2006

Lars Jelking wrote:
Having worked with Photoshop for many years and looked at various tutorials and courses I still find the help-file being the most useful. Fully searchable with links embedded in the text for online use. Though, I recommend you to print it out as you'll be jumping back and forth between pages, and at least I have a tendency to forget the connection to "the other page".

Thanks for that Lars and I know exactly what you mean. I've been looking at the help-file for a few things and at the end of each page there are always numerous links to connected topics, which I click on because I haven't quite found the answer I was looking for and then before I know it, I've gone off on a tangent into a slightly different topic and forgotten exactly what I was looking for in the first place! I have found that is the case with many built in application help-files and tutorials so that is why I'm looking for external learning sources.

It's good to hear from people who have used it for many years though because the more I read the more I'm motivated and excited to learn more and more:)

Brandis wrote:
Entry course into caligraphy (chinese ??) could be a very good enlightening solution.

Hi Brandis and thanks for that! Chinese caligraphy is absolutely beautiful so incorporating translation or offering that as a seperate service using different creative styles and special effects would indeed be an "enlightening solution".

Anyway, so I've signed up with the VTC Online University (link in previous message) and I've begun my first course which starts from the very basics and so far so good. I've also bookmarked 3 follow-up Photoshop courses of theirs which totals 33 1/2 hours of tuition! Should keep me out of trouble for a while:)

So thanks for all your tips and advice and I'll let you know how I get on.

Best,
Mark

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Could you recommend any Photoshop courses/tutorials?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »