Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:39
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Nov 23, 2006

G'day everyone

Has anyone tried Colemak yet? Is it really that much better than Dvorak and Qwerty?

Thanks
Samuel

avantix
avantix  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to Dutch
+ ...
In memoriam
Pain... Nov 23, 2006

Hi Samuel,

To your question: it may have advantages or not. I think it depends on how long you are used to Qwerty.

When I moved from the Netherlands to Germany I had to switch from Qwerty to Azerty, which was/is common German layout. Then I had about 15 years experience with Qwerty and to me it was a pain; it took me months and months until I could type more or less flawless, although there were only a few differences.
After over 10 years I moved back to NL and it
... See more
Hi Samuel,

To your question: it may have advantages or not. I think it depends on how long you are used to Qwerty.

When I moved from the Netherlands to Germany I had to switch from Qwerty to Azerty, which was/is common German layout. Then I had about 15 years experience with Qwerty and to me it was a pain; it took me months and months until I could type more or less flawless, although there were only a few differences.
After over 10 years I moved back to NL and it took me even longer to get as familiar with Qwerty as I had been earlier. Should I ever move back to Germany again, I would take my Qwerty with me, since I can type German on it as fast as I could on the Azerty twenty years ago.

So for me any change would not be an option. But perhaps you have more flexible fingers (and/or a more flexible mind)?

Herman
Collapse

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 09:39
Japanese to English
I'd like to find out, too. Nov 24, 2006

Thanks for posting this, Samuel.
I have been considering switching to a Dvorak for some time but am yet to take the plunge - and I had not heard of Colemak before.

For anyone else that hadn't heard of this/these, see:

... See more
Thanks for posting this, Samuel.
I have been considering switching to a Dvorak for some time but am yet to take the plunge - and I had not heard of Colemak before.

For anyone else that hadn't heard of this/these, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard
and
http://colemak.com/

Interestingly, the QWERTY layout was apparently designed more to prevent the long metal keys from becoming jammed together when typing quickly on those really old-fashioned typewriters, rather than with the user's comfort in mind.

I'd also be interested to hear of others' experiences with either Dvorak or now, Colemak.
Collapse

rubo77
rubo77
German
another Alternative Jun 2, 2007

i use ENTI-Key++ now:
www.entikey.z11.de
that layout is optimized too and gives you the option to type with one hand!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Qwerty, Dvorak, Colemak

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »