Aol v. zone alarm, connection problems. Uninstalling aol properly?
Thread poster: Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)
Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)
Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:22
English to Spanish
Nov 24, 2006

Hello

For the second time in the space of two months, my laptop (Samsung X06, Windows XP, Office 2003, AVG 7.5 antivirus) has decided it is not going to connect to the Internet.

This did not happen to me before downloading the free ZA firewall, so it looks as if this firewall does not get on very well with AOL. I have not blocked access accidentally by ticking the wrong ZA option when prompt
... See more
Hello

For the second time in the space of two months, my laptop (Samsung X06, Windows XP, Office 2003, AVG 7.5 antivirus) has decided it is not going to connect to the Internet.

This did not happen to me before downloading the free ZA firewall, so it looks as if this firewall does not get on very well with AOL. I have not blocked access accidentally by ticking the wrong ZA option when prompting.

This may have to do with the fact that I was prompted to allow an automatic update yesterday evening, an update that I allowed when ZA asked me.*

Last time this happened to me, I followed AOL instructions, to check that a number of AOL files were ticked as "allow" in the ZA Program Control. Unfortunatelly, their suggestion did not work. I ended up reinstalling AOL, after which I got connected again and many more AOL files where automatically inserted and allowed in the ZA Program Control.

I did end up with two different AOL versions and two different AOL Spywares, so this time, I decided to uninstall AOL and later I will install it again. However, after doing this through the Add or Remove Programs Function and by using the AOL unsinstaller to remove the second AntySpyware, I have done a Search with AOL and I still have 36 files with this word on their name.

Do I have to delete this files? Do I proceed to reinstall? (All this, taking into account that I have no Internet connection on my computer right now).

Please, if any one could give me a hint, it would be very much appreciate it. And, please, any advice taking into account that I am not very knowledgeable at all when it comes to computer maintenance.

--------------------------------------------

Has anyone experience the same amount of trouble with this AOL/ZA combination? Could you recommend a free firewall that is more AOL friendly?

---------------------------------------------

Thanking you in advance

Kindest regards

Marta

*The reason why I think the whole thing has to do with ZA or with the update is because my flatmate has the same connection and antivirus, but no ZA and no automatic updates, and he has never had this problem. I guess I should just cancell automatic updates, as I am using Firefox and, for what you guys say in technical forums, many updates relate to IE security and they can cause Trados problems. But the mystery with AOL and ZA remains???

[Edited at 2006-11-24 12:39]
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:22
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Marta Nov 24, 2006

Could you please tell which ZA version do you use? I had lots of problems recently because I uninstalled Norton firewall and reinstalled ZA (free version, of course). And it turned out to be that the version I downloaded as free contained some installation bug which prevented it of proper installation after which it could not be either uninstalled or re-installed properly without some manual cleaning.

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
two things to reinstall? Nov 24, 2006

Hi

It is the 6.5.737.000

Does this get solved by uninstalling and reinstalling ZA? (if the version is the same you had problems with).

Thank you very much!

Marta

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:22
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
I had one of the previous versions, 6.5.722 Nov 24, 2006

Yours is newer.

But if you would google for something like 'zone alarm troubleshooting' or similar you would find that practically each ZA version has problems with some other software, each time different.

In my case the solution was to uninstall ZA, manually delete everything in the folder C:\Windows\system32\zonelabs and reinstall ZA once more.

Try doing this, but in case this wouldn't help I would sugg
... See more
Yours is newer.

But if you would google for something like 'zone alarm troubleshooting' or similar you would find that practically each ZA version has problems with some other software, each time different.

In my case the solution was to uninstall ZA, manually delete everything in the folder C:\Windows\system32\zonelabs and reinstall ZA once more.

Try doing this, but in case this wouldn't help I would suggest asking at ZoneLabs user forum:
http://forum.zonelabs.org/
Collapse

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Nov 24, 2006

Thank you, I'll have a look in their forum.

If I happen to find a very useful and clear explanation and solution, I'll post it here for those who might be interested.

Nice weekend!

Marta

I did not say, but I have obviously tried all the options suggested in the ZA forum and the option suggested by AOL:

ie: checking that four specific AOL files are in the ZA Program Co
... See more
Thank you, I'll have a look in their forum.

If I happen to find a very useful and clear explanation and solution, I'll post it here for those who might be interested.

Nice weekend!

Marta

I did not say, but I have obviously tried all the options suggested in the ZA forum and the option suggested by AOL:

ie: checking that four specific AOL files are in the ZA Program Control, if not, add and allow, etc...

ie: starting computer in Safe Mode and deleting two specific files thus "cleaning" the ZA settings, etc...

ie: chosing the medium settings in ZA

So far:

AS FAR AS ALTERNATIVE FIREWALLS
I have seen recommendations for:
Kério

AS FAR AS INCOMPATIBILITY ISSUES AND ZA V. AOL
- there is no much news in the ZoneAlarm forum regarding this specific issue; it is funny though that, when you look at the descriptions of the different ZA versions (lower ones), some of them mention that the version has been adapted to solve "the AOL issues".

- Did a general search on both AOL and ZA, getting lots of pages in French. Some seem to blame ZA, but most blame an ISP like AOL which comes with, quote, "lots of crap to install".

- Maybe there are problems with the timing of antivirus (?) I have never read about computing in French, so I am not 100% sure, but it seems ZA could also pose problems if it triggers when your antivirus is trying to update, you would have to set your antivirus to update at a later stage.

QUOTES AND REMARKS
Old quote from amazon.com:
"Don't buy Zone Alarm if you use AOL; they are not compatable [sic]. The pop-ups will drive you crazy and AOL won't work properly. Also plan on your computer running much slower when this software is installed. I bought it from Amazon and had to throw it away in a month... no refund; money lost. Norton is far better with AOL."

From the following quote it seems people in my situation might be better off changing to ZA built 5.1.011*:
"Best build in the Zone Alarm family that I've installed during the last year! Plays well with AOL 9.0 and MSN 9.1. Working well on WinXP SP2 RC2. Stable. AlertAdvisor is improving and configuring more programs automatically, and correctly. Minor improvements could be made, but MUCH better than recent builds."
(by the way, very bad review here on the latest builds...: http://fileforum.betanews.com/review/1091194220/1/view)

*now, how do you do that? ay, ay, ay; this is a never ending story...

If any one has some extra ideas or advice, it would be very much appreciated. Anyone there living in the UK with the same ISP???!!!

[Edited at 2006-11-24 20:40]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Aol v. zone alarm, connection problems. Uninstalling aol properly?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »