Mobile menu

Firefox doesn't open any more PDFs
Thread poster: Christel Zipfel

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Partial member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Dec 22, 2006

I have experienced this problem since some time now. When clicking on a link that refers to a PDF, Firefox (1.5xx) doesn't open it. I have to rightclick on it instead, save the PDF file on my HD and then most of the times find out that it doesn't contain anything of what I am looking for... So I cancel it and continue my research in the same way... That is rather unnerving!

I don't know, though, whether this strange behaviour depends really on Firefox, on Acrobat (version 7.0) or on something else. I have Windows XP. I couldn't find any setting that relates to this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:31
English to Polish
+ ...
Extensions for FF Dec 22, 2006

Maybe one of these would help

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:31
Partial member
+ ...
Another option Dec 22, 2006

Hello Christel,

You could also download:

• FF's OpenDownload add-on. "Allows you to open any file from the internet into the OS assigned program. This is similar to IE's 'Open' or 'Run' file download functionality.".

• Foxit Reader. A PDF Reader, but it's much lighter and faster than Acrobat Reader.

Good luck,

[Edited at 2006-12-22 17:10]

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Partial member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Thank you, Dec 23, 2006

Anni and Claudia, for your suggestions!

Extension 636 is indeed a comfortable one, and I would have liked it, but when I click "Open PDF", it doesn't open anything, just like before. At least, it downloads much faster than Firefox actually did with its new behaviour, and the computer does not get frozen for quite a while. But I still have to go back and cancel the file if I don't need it, obviously.

OpenDownload does not work while extension 636 is installed. Without this extension and with OpenDownload, Firefox behaves just like before, i. e. I can only choose to download which takes a long time and the computer gets frozen in the meantime.

I have FoxitReader on my emergency laptop which has a small HD, but I don't think anyway this would solve this problem here.

So I decided to see what happens with IE which I didn't use for years. Well: it doesn't open PDFs, either, any more!

At this point, I must think of course it doesn't depend on Firefox but on some other problem. But which one?

BTW, if I decided to install FF 2.0, would I lose my bookmarks?

Thank you very much for any hint, and merry Christmas and an excellent new year to everybody!

Sarah Brenchley  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Check settings Dec 24, 2006

I had the same problem.
I solved it in the following way:

and then double click on PDF in the list.
Then click on the 2nd option and choose Adobe Reader, etc. from Browse location.

This should solve it.
All the best,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Firefox doesn't open any more PDFs

Advanced search

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs