ABBYY FineReader 8.0 Cyrillic Support
Thread poster: mitya_ (X)
mitya_ (X)
mitya_ (X)
English to Bulgarian
Jan 17, 2007

Hi,

In ABBYY FineReader 8.0, how may I set the option to allow cyrillic letters to be seen when exported/saved?

Currently, there is a message that "[font] does not contain all required characters, some characteristics in this font will no be displayed"

This is strange as it reads it fine, but cannot export the letters. This is with most basic fonts like Times New Roman and Arial, which definately have cyrillic.

I am also using the System font o
... See more
Hi,

In ABBYY FineReader 8.0, how may I set the option to allow cyrillic letters to be seen when exported/saved?

Currently, there is a message that "[font] does not contain all required characters, some characteristics in this font will no be displayed"

This is strange as it reads it fine, but cannot export the letters. This is with most basic fonts like Times New Roman and Arial, which definately have cyrillic.

I am also using the System font options to be used, which is an option for PDF, but not Word or others.

Thanks for help.
Collapse

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:49
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
ABBYY FineReader 8.0 Cyrillic Support Jan 17, 2007

do use some complete set of characters, which are present in those with a suffix "unicode". like: lucida sans unicode.

don't use system fonts, since your OS is probably under some western language with ISO 8859-1 encoding.

don't use more than 1-2 languages for recognition. in case they consist of: one western language and one in cyrillic, like bulgarian, then you surelly won't get the right font encoding, i.e. the ISO 8859-5. So, use just bulgarian.

regards, Dragomir

mitya_ wrote:

I am also using the System font options to be used, which is an option for PDF, but not Word or others.

Thanks for help.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:49
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Is that a “try-and-buy” build? Jan 17, 2007

Try to re-install FineReader. I had a similar problem with FR “try-and-buy” (empty squares instead of Cyrillic in exported files or in clipboard). It disappeared after removing that version and installing a full one.

mitya_ (X)
mitya_ (X)
English to Bulgarian
TOPIC STARTER
No success so far Jan 17, 2007

Hi,

Yes I tried using Lucida Sans Unicode, and the result was the same. Message that this font does not contain all the required characters, some characters will not be displayed.

I tried using just the Bulgarian recognition without English, but the problem still came up. If I used system fonts though,
I would get boxes, but if i used Standard fonts, there would just be empty spaces.

I tried uninstalling the progam many times and even removed all tra
... See more
Hi,

Yes I tried using Lucida Sans Unicode, and the result was the same. Message that this font does not contain all the required characters, some characters will not be displayed.

I tried using just the Bulgarian recognition without English, but the problem still came up. If I used system fonts though,
I would get boxes, but if i used Standard fonts, there would just be empty spaces.

I tried uninstalling the progam many times and even removed all traces of the program from my computer before installing again, still no luck. Problem is still here.

Thank you for the help.

Mitya.
Collapse

jimbodinny
jimbodinny
Russian to English
trouble exporting text in finereader 8.0 Jun 18, 2007

I am having the same issues. i cannont export the text from abbyy finereader 8.0 even though it looks fine in the program.
when i paste it into MS Word it comes out as a bunch of squares.

has anyone found the solution for this issues?

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
The poster of previous thread Jun 18, 2007

on this problem sent me the files in RU and I recognised and converted them to Word without any problems. I have Finereader 8 Pro.

The poster then bought and downloaded also Finereader 8 Pro version and told that all problems went away. Obviously the difference lies between Pro and Non-pro versions. (One difference I know of is that in Pro version you don't have to add any languages, all of them are there right after installing).

HTH,

Uldis

jimbodinny wrote:

I am having the same issues. i cannont export the text from abbyy finereader 8.0 even though it looks fine in the program.
when i paste it into MS Word it comes out as a bunch of squares.

has anyone found the solution for this issues?

jimbodinny
jimbodinny
Russian to English
ABBYY Finereader 8.0 Cyrillic Jun 18, 2007

I have the multi-language Pro version that has all the language installed. the text shows up in Russian characters in the program, but when i copy it to word it shows up as squares. I've uninstalled the program, cleaned the registry, and than re-installed and changed the country to Russia, and non-unicode support to Russian. I still get the same thing.

[Edited at 2007-06-18 21:34]

[Edited at 2007-06-18 21:39]

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
The previous thread Jun 18, 2007

http://www.proz.com/topic/73904

Do you have a paid or Demo version? The one that worked (mentioned in that thread) was paid (the poster bought it), not evaluation one.

Uldis

jimbodinny wrote:

I have the multi-language Pro version that has all the language installed. the text shows up in Russian characters in the program, but when i copy it to word it shows up as squares. I've uninstalled the program, cleaned the registry, and than re-installed and changed the country to Russia, and non-unicode support to Russian. I still get the same thing.

[Edited at 2007-06-18 21:34]

[Edited at 2007-06-18 21:39]

palanaruva
palanaruva
Local time: 13:49
English to Serbian
Re: ABBYY FineReader 8.0 Cyrillic Support Jul 13, 2009

Is there any update for this bug about Cyrillic support? I tried everything but no luck.

Thx
p.

Cyrillic Support or is it Fraktur in german Jun 18, 2010

I just called Abby tech support and asked the question

how do I access cyrillic in "ABBYY FineReader 10 pro

the answer is that you need the add-on program "Recognition server 3.0"

my problem is printed text from a 1907 german genealogy book

is the old german text correctly called Fraktur or cyrillic ?

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
It’s Fraktur Jun 21, 2010

Fraktur is a variant of Latin script, while Cyrillic is another script.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ABBYY FineReader 8.0 Cyrillic Support

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »