Mobile menu

(.ppt or .ps or .pdf) to LaTeX converter?
Thread poster: Rahmat Rahmat, Ph.D.
Rahmat Rahmat, Ph.D.
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Jan 25, 2007

Dear friends,

I have a file that I can convert to pdf or postscript or ppt. But I need it in a TeX format. Is there any software that can convert(translate) it to LaTex/REVTeX format?

I am working with some programmers in a very big collaboration(about 600 people), and I need my file in LaTeX, so I can merge my file into a collaboration report for Department of Energy, USA.

I could write the file in LaTeX using Emacs, but it will take 7 days.

I really appreciate your advice.

Thanks,

Rahmat

Direct link Reply with quote

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:44
English to Hungarian
+ ...
What is your input file like? Jan 25, 2007

What does your file contain in addition to normal text? Mathematical formulas, tables? And how long is your contribution? Although I have never used it, I know html2latex converters exist. Combined with a pdf2html converter (you can google both), you may convert a pdf into latex - but I guess it will require quite a bit of manual formatting.
Good luck!
Attila

Rahmat Rahmat, Ph.D.
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Full of Mathematical formulas, tables and pictures Jan 26, 2007

Attila Piróth wrote:

What does your file contain in addition to normal text? Mathematical formulas, tables?
Good luck!
Attila

It is full of Mathematical formulas, tables and pictures.

Maybe, I need to work very hard.

Thanks Attila.

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:44
German to English
+ ...
what format is your input file? Jan 26, 2007

You say that you can convert your input file to .ppt, .ps or . pdf. Does that mean the input file is in some other format (perhaps Word)?

If it is a Word document, you could try the tools available at
http://wvware.sourceforge.net/

However, these tools are described as producing 'visually pretty' LaTeX files, which doesn't necessarily mean they produce properly formatted LaTeX (e.g. using strict styling). If your documents ultimately have to be merged with other documents, proper formatting consistent with the conventions of the project is naturally essential.

Also, if you have a Word document full of mathematical formulas, I question whether any tool can convert it properly into LaTeX.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2007-01-26 09:12]

PS: even if the conversion doesn't do everything for you, it might still take less time to convert and then clean up the result than to transcribe the entire document manually. I'd suggest making a test with a couple of representative pages before deciding what to do.

[Edited at 2007-01-26 09:14]

[Edited at 2007-01-26 09:15]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

(.ppt or .ps or .pdf) to LaTeX converter?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs