Alchemy Catalyst 6.0
Thread poster: Pino Cernia
Pino Cernia
Pino Cernia
Local time: 13:12
German to Italian
Feb 18, 2007

Hello,
does someone have experience with Catalyst 6.0. I would like to accept an offer but I am afraid about this new translation tool. I have a good experience with other tools like Trados SLX or Transit but not with Catalyst.
Thank you very much for any suggestion.
Marco

Ana Cuesta
Ana Cuesta  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
No need to be afraid of it Feb 18, 2007

I am right now working for the very first time in a Catalyst 6 project, basically using the Translator/Lite free version to work on a translation kit prepared by my client. I could just go on and start working after about 10-15 minutes of reading a few introductory help topics, learning more as I go when I need to do something else. So far, no problem at all.

In fact, I find the program to be pretty user-friendly. Translating software menus and dialogs is a lot easier than in the r
... See more
I am right now working for the very first time in a Catalyst 6 project, basically using the Translator/Lite free version to work on a translation kit prepared by my client. I could just go on and start working after about 10-15 minutes of reading a few introductory help topics, learning more as I go when I need to do something else. So far, no problem at all.

In fact, I find the program to be pretty user-friendly. Translating software menus and dialogs is a lot easier than in the regular CAT tools because you have an image of the menu or dialog you are translating, so you get to see the items in context. Strings are as bitchy as always but I guess that's something no program can help us with

Good luck if you decide to accept the job!
Collapse

Pino Cernia
Pino Cernia
German to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Catalyst Translator Lite/ free or complete version 6.0 ? Feb 19, 2007

Dear Ana,
thank you very much for your reply.
I downloaded the Translator Lite/ free version but it seems to have the same limitations of the V6.0 Demo, for example I'm waiting that if you declare a .TTK as Primary TM the tools should replace all identical words or suggest a similar word. Probably my version is really only a demo version and this feature is disabled. The Translator Lite/ free version should be really free ... I wanted to start with a free version and after purchase t
... See more
Dear Ana,
I downloaded the Translator Lite/ free version but it seems to have the same limitations of the V6.0 Demo, for example I'm waiting that if you declare a .TTK as Primary TM the tools should replace all identical words or suggest a similar word. Probably my version is really only a demo version and this feature is disabled. The Translator Lite/ free version should be really free ... I wanted to start with a free version and after purchase the V6.0 because I also need the glossary. Did you get a license for your Translator Lite/ "free" or you simple have downloaded it from the official site?

Thank you very much and have a nice day
Marco
Collapse

Ana Cuesta
Ana Cuesta  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
I got a license Feb 19, 2007

Pino Cernia wrote:

Dear Ana,
I downloaded the Translator Lite/ free version but it seems to have the same limitations of the V6.0 Demo, for example I'm waiting that if you declare a .TTK as Primary TM the tools should replace all identical words or suggest a similar word. Probably my version is really only a demo version and this feature is disabled. The Translator Lite/ free version should be really free ... I wanted to start with a free version and after purchase the V6.0 because I also need the glossary. Did you get a license for your Translator Lite/ "free" or you simple have downloaded it from the official site?

Thank you very much and have a nice day
Marco

You need a license so they can control you install the download in one computer only. My client provided it (as I said, I am working on a kit provided by them) but you can also request it at Alchemy's site. Then you use the license to activate your downloaded free version.

Pino Cernia
Pino Cernia
German to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
I followed your suggestion Feb 19, 2007

I followed your suggestion and I asked for the Translator/Lite free license and now I can use my tool.
I tried to translate a .dll file but the repetitions, which I already translated, are not suggested or replaced automatically.
Also the commands "get translation, open/get translation, etc." are disabled. I supposed they are the functions I need but probably they are available only in the full version...
Ciao

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alchemy Catalyst 6.0

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »