Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:50
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 19, 2007

Colleagues:

I want to send a 19 MB file but the expected recipient only allows 10MB. It is a Word file.

1) Is it possible to split it into several Word files without text and/or paging alterations ?

2) If not, then how could I send it by e-mail? Is there any software to make up this split?

Thank you very much.

Herminia Herrándiz Espuny
Herminia Herrándiz Espuny  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ftp client Feb 19, 2007

Hi Yaotl,

Have you tried to use an ftp client? This is how I "send" really big files and works perfectly fine for me

Regards,

Herminia

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Yousendit Feb 19, 2007

Hi Yaotl,

I use Yousendit.com for such large files. One time the service was a bit slow. But usually it works great and I love it.

Stefanie

[Edited at 2007-02-19 20:38]

Carla Araújo
Carla Araújo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:50
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Large files Feb 19, 2007

Hi,

You can also try www.sendthisfile.com

Best regards

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Before you send this file Feb 19, 2007

use any program for compressing files.
The widest known ist WinZIP (www.winzip.com), a better however not that well known one is WinRAR (www.winrar.com).

Because you are a member, you have also an ftp server, more det
... See more
The widest known ist WinZIP (www.winzip.com), a better however not that well known one is WinRAR (www.winrar.com).

Because you are a member, you have also an ftp server, more details see here: http://www.proz.com/?sp=host/info
You can then upload the file to your server and let your customer download it. This is similar to using services like those mentioned by Stefanie and Carla, but much safer - you don't upload the file to unknown location, where anyone could access it.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:50
English to Russian
+ ...
one more possibility Feb 19, 2007

if your recipient has msn messenger profile you can use the send file feature to send a big file to him/her

My biggest file successfully transmitted via msn messenger was about 35 mb in size.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Install Skype Feb 19, 2007

and make your client to do it too. It's free. I have successfully sent 200 Mb files over Skype- yes, it takes some time, but- from all large files what I have sent over the Skype, success rate is 100%. Eventually they arrive where destined

Uldis

Yaotl Altan wrote:
I want to send a 19 MB file

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:50
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 19, 2007

Thank you very much, colleagues.

Do you know Gmail's capacity? I know it can store more than 2GB but what about incoming emails?

If this is option is useless, I'll try:

1) yousendit.com
2) sendthisfile.com
3) ftp client
4) MSN
5) Skype

If problems remain, then I'll take a gun and shoot my self OK, before that, I will try to deliver it in the flesh.
... See more
Thank you very much, colleagues.

Do you know Gmail's capacity? I know it can store more than 2GB but what about incoming emails?

If this is option is useless, I'll try:

1) yousendit.com
2) sendthisfile.com
3) ftp client
4) MSN
5) Skype

If problems remain, then I'll take a gun and shoot my self OK, before that, I will try to deliver it in the flesh.

(Fortunately, my client is not located in the Gobi Desert, Mongolia)
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Not sure about G-mail... Feb 19, 2007

but I have my own mailserver. It's capacity for individual messages is set to "unlimited", however, limits are imposed by other servers via which the email messages come- and I have no command over them. So for email it is about 10 Mb and that's that.

BTW- I tried

1) yousendit.com
2) sendthisfile.com

and both couldn't cope with 2 Mb I tried to send to myself. Don't know why...

Uldis

Yaotl Altan wrote:

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 03:50
Spanish
+ ...
4share Feb 19, 2007

4share is another possibility. I like 4share better than yousend it because it allows you to create folders and assign passwords to each file or folder. It does have a 50MB limit per file but you get 1GB for free and you will keep all your files as long as you log into your account once a month.

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Gmail sometimes rejects attachments Feb 19, 2007

And I've got no idea on what criteria. So, better try the yousendit.com or Skype, if you don't have ftp. If his capacity is 10MB, you might cause him to go overquota even if you zipped it down to a smaller file.

[Edited at 2007-02-19 22:54]

Elizabeth Sánchez León
Elizabeth Sánchez León  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
Plugin for Gmail converting it on an virtual drive Feb 19, 2007

There is a plugin for Mozilla Firefox (I think it is available also as an .exe file for being installed on the PC) that converts any gmail account on a virtual hard drive. It is called Gspace.

Jeremy_Chen
Jeremy_Chen
Australia
Local time: 18:50
English to Chinese
+ ...
A great tool Feb 20, 2007

Besides WinZip and WinRar, I recommend the free/open software "7zip". You and your client can download it from here: http://www.7-zip.org/

You can use its "split file" function (in the menu "file").
Your client then can use its "combine files" function (in the menu "file").

Simple and free.

You may also use it to compress the file. Maybe after you compress it into zip file, it would be smaller than 10 M.

Good luck
Jeremy

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Because you are a member, you have also an ftp server, more details see here: http://www.proz.com/?sp=host/info
You can then upload the file to your server and let your customer download it. This is similar to using services like those mentioned by Stefanie and Carla, but much safer - you don't upload the file to unknown location, where anyone could access it.

Regards
Jerzy

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
7-zip Feb 20, 2007

Yaotl Altan wrote:
I want to send a 19 MB file but the expected recipient only allows 10MB. It is a Word file.

If both of you install 7-zip, you can usually zip it up with a very good compression. The 7-zip screen also allows you to break up the file into smaller chunks (say, 2M for 2 megabytes each). When the recipient has collected all the chunks, he right-clicks the first one and selects "extract", which will recreate the one large file again.

www.7-zip.org

A client recently had to send me a 50 MB file for translation. Zipped, it came to 4 MB. 7-zipped, it came to 700 KB.

[Edited at 2007-02-20 05:24]

Jason Ma
Jason Ma  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 16:50
English to Chinese
+ ...
Gmail might work Feb 20, 2007

Gmail might work
good luck

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sending a 19 MB file

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »