Thread poster: RieM
RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:27
English to Japanese
+ ...
Mar 6, 2007

I'm thinking of buying an accounting tool to make my life a bit easier (I'm a US resident and I'm in the middle of tax preparations. yuk). Which one would you use and/or which one would you recommend? Your suggestion would be much appreciated.

Benno Groeneveld
Benno Groeneveld  Identity Verified
United States
English to Dutch
+ ...
Quicken Mar 6, 2007

They have a basic plus small business version. Allows you to mamange your checking and other accounts in the computer. Some banks also allow you to download your statement into Quicken (or other software). Handy if you use a debit card, because those transactions also download, so you don't forget to enter them in your system.

The small business part has a simple invoice-writing system. In my versions I have to take a couple of steps copying the text of the invoice to Word, but I th
... See more
They have a basic plus small business version. Allows you to mamange your checking and other accounts in the computer. Some banks also allow you to download your statement into Quicken (or other software). Handy if you use a debit card, because those transactions also download, so you don't forget to enter them in your system.

The small business part has a simple invoice-writing system. In my versions I have to take a couple of steps copying the text of the invoice to Word, but I then have a standard invoice to send off into the wild blue yonder.

The nice thing is, the system keeps track of who owes you what since when, so you can easily send (gentle) reminders when it's taking them too long.

Costs about $100 if I remember correctly. I found I don't need more advanced versions of things like Quickbooks, since I'm just a simple one-person translation machine/operation. If you're an agency, or aspire to that, I would look into Quickbooks.
Collapse

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Mar 6, 2007

Thank you, Benno. Quicken has been around for many years, hasn't it?

Invoicing and reminder capabilities being incorporated seems very nice. They are tedius, but must-do tasks. (I have a couple of Reminder templates prepared, from gentle to not-so-gentle).

I'm not an agency and so I will leave Quickbooks out. I work from home and sometimes on site. Seems that there are too many items to be recorded
... See more
Thank you, Benno. Quicken has been around for many years, hasn't it?

Invoicing and reminder capabilities being incorporated seems very nice. They are tedius, but must-do tasks. (I have a couple of Reminder templates prepared, from gentle to not-so-gentle).

I'm not an agency and so I will leave Quickbooks out. I work from home and sometimes on site. Seems that there are too many items to be recorded and checked.
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 22:27
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
have a look at the Translation office Mar 6, 2007

I'm not an agency and so I will leave Quickbooks out.

I have been using Quicken since 1995 so its as essential to me as say Word or winamp. Still, I would suggest you have at least a peek at Translation office (www.to3000.com) before you try to get going on quickbooks.

It's a good piece of software and right on target for translation businesses (freelancing or other).

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translation office Mar 6, 2007

Vito Smolej wrote:

... Still, I would suggest you have at least a peek at Translation office (www.to3000.com) before you try to get going on quickbooks.

It's a good piece of software and right on target for translation businesses (freelancing or other).

Thank you, Vito. Befoe posting here, I googled "accounting tools" and hit the site. I was surprised to see such a business tool available, geared for translation businesses. Behold the power of translators!!

I will go back and reaa more. Thank you for your advice.

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Translation office Mar 6, 2007

I bought the software at the beginning of the year, and I must say that so far, it's well worth the investment. I'm unfortunately not very attentive when it comes to my accounting (must be why I married an accountant!), but the software really helped me get a grip

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Marring an accountant! Mar 6, 2007

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

....(must be why I married an accountant!), but the software really helped me get a grip

Hi Marie-Claude,

Why didn't I think about that option? Oh, I know. I wouldn't think he would agree about my spending plan (which is none).

Jokes aside, it looks like a powerful tool with project management and accounting all in one. Interesting. I will read more. Thank you very much for your input.

Zoltán Medgyesi
Zoltán Medgyesi
Hungary
English to Hungarian
MS Office Accounting Express Mar 7, 2007

Maybe you could have a look at it.

http://www.ideawins.com/productinfo.html

It's free.

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm downloading it now. Mar 7, 2007

Hi mzdude

Thank you for giving me the link. I'm downloading it to see what it is. The page says "easy to use", but other than that it doesn't elaborate the festures and capabilities.

Are you using it already? How do you like it? I bet that it uses OLE - to link it to other Office Products. I will find out soon...

Zoltán Medgyesi
Zoltán Medgyesi
Hungary
English to Hungarian
It's for the USA :( Mar 7, 2007

Once I downloaded it, but it's for USA. It can't be customized for the local rules. So, I deleted it quickly. But it seemed to be a good application, with a lot of features.

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh :(, Mar 7, 2007

Thanks for the reply, though. I will run it to see if I like it or not.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any good accounting software?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »