Dealing with tags in FrameMaker - problems
Thread poster: Spiros Doikas

Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:59
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Mar 11, 2007

Let\'s take for example the following. As you can see there is a word which is broken by a tag: Lef[tag]t. How would you translate this? Would it affect the end document if it was translated as Left[tag]?

Any other tag problems you encountered in FM and suggested solutions?

Means to either press the Left or Right Selection Key to apply the command corresponding to the key.

[Edited at 2007-03-11 14:52]

[Edited at 2007-03-11 14:52]

Direct link Reply with quote

László Kovács  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:59
Member (2006)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Seems to be inappropriate tagging in source file Mar 11, 2007

It affects the end document, but it improves it
I usually "correct" these problems by putting the whole translation of "Left" betwen the tags, and report to client if possible.

pep
English to Spanish
:cs means change style. Mar 11, 2007

In S-Tagger, :cs stands for change style, that is, it is just another type of font change (there is also a :fc (font change) if I'm not wrong).

In this case, you can put the word together in your translation, just as if in Microsoft Word, you had to translate a word that appears with all letters but one in bold: you would recognize it is a "font typo" from the author and would not replicate it in your translation.

Somwere in the Trados or S-Tagger help there should be an explanation of the S-Tagger codes. Knowing their function will help you decide what to do with them. Some of them you may want to remove them (such as :hs (hardcoded space)) if they don not apply to your language.

[Edited at 2007-03-11 19:35]

Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Not necessarily a mistake Mar 12, 2007

Spiros Doikas wrote:

Means to either press the Left or Right Selection Key to apply the command corresponding to the key.
/quote]
That's not necessarily a mistake → in this particular context, it might be the accelator, i.e. the underlined character in a menu command.

It's always dangerous to generalize but FM files are usually the cleanest I have seen, i.e. most codes you see are there on purpose. As opposed to InDesign, which offers so lovely codes as [Font: Times Roman 12pt]bla [Font still Times Roman]blabla[Times Roman not change so far], i.e. lots of redundant or plain stupid codes.

Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:59
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but... Mar 12, 2007

in this specific case, I very much doubt that it is an accelerator.

László Kovács  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Frame files are clean, but humans make the formatting Mar 12, 2007

It's true that Frame files are usually really clean, but this kind of error may occur, as formatting is usally done manually.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:59
English to French
+ ...
Tags in the middle of words Mar 15, 2007

Such tags are usually placed only approximately, they don't delimit a word. As long as they are in the sentence or on that very line, you can put them anywhere - but make sure they appear in the right order. I encounter lots of tags like that when an anchor is placed in the middle of the text as a reference to an index entry.

If you translate FrameMaker files, why don't you have a PDF of the same file? By looking at the source document as it would appear on paper, you will be able to decipher what each tag is for and will then know better what to make of them. Ask your client if s/he can provide you with the PDF. You may be a translator, but that doesn't mean you have to know all your tags by heart A translator you are, but a programmer you ain't - I think your client will understand...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dealing with tags in FrameMaker - problems

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs